First time at 5K race distance! (Read 1016 times)

I have been reading these forums a lot in the last 9 weeks since I started my running. I am so excited after my run today that I find myself compelled to post. My goal for this first 5K had been to run the whole thing without stopping. As I have gotten further along in my training I have re-evaluated. I have been using a walk/run interval method (I'm now up to 2 min walk 13 min jog). Anyway, my new goal for the 5K I will be running next week became finishing in about 45 min. (Slow I know, but I'm just getting started! Smile ) Well, today was my first time running 3 plus miles (about 3.07) and I finished in 44:19 and felt great! Big grin I am going to do 2 easy runs this week, then the race on Sat. Very excited, had to share. Reading everyone else's posts has taught me a lot, and helped my feel like a runner even though I am still so slow!
    Ringmaster

Debbie, isn't it true that the great thing about running is that reading about other people's training and races encourages you to do your own thing better? I'm not sure there's any other sport out there where the competition does the same thing. Congrats on your new milestone, and thank you for recording it and sharing it with us. Make sure to come back and give us your race report--there's nothing like your first race. Relish it! Karina

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
      Mile by Mile

I actually walked for a year before adding in short runs. I used a 6/1 ratio run/walk for my marathon, which is about the same ratio you're using. There's nothing wrong with eliminating walk breaks as you progress, but there's also nothing wrong with keeping them if you want to. Sounds like you're ready for your race, good luck with it. Be sure to post a race report, and don't forget you get bonus points for pics.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Just Be

Wow, 44:19 is not a slow time at all for a beginner runner. Smile Do you have any past running experience?
            Thanks for the kind words. I really am very excited! In answer to your question runner92, I have always played sports, and my senior year in HS I ran cross country kinda as a flook. (My dad was the coach.) The fastest I ever got then was about 36 min for a 5K. The longest distance I ever ran was about 4 miles. I started running again to help with weight loss, and this time I have fallen in love with it. Smile I can't wait for the day I run 5 miles for the first time. Then who knows from there. I am just trying to stay consistent and take it slow! Thanks again for the support. I'll post about the race next weekend.
              Good job! I just ran my first 5k race on the 19th, and it was a major blast! I've already signed up for 2 more in the next few weeks. Keep it up--you're doing great! Big grin
              JakeKnight

An unsolicited suggestion: if you're going to continue with the walk-breaks, experiment with making them shorter but more frequent. As in 5/1 instead of 13/2. If getting the math ratio identical is important to you, you'll have to do the math on your own. Me don't like math. When I was getting started I messed around quite a bit with it in both training and races and found that - for me, and others will vary - it worked much better if the periods are shortened. I found that long run periods (like 13 minutes) would have me slowing down by the end ... and long walk periods would make it hard to start again. With a shorter run and shorter walk period, I seemed to run much faster, much easier. Just a thought. Your mileage can and will vary. But it might be an easy way to speed up a bit, without actually doing any more running, if it works for you.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Debbie-- Congrats! And good luck in your 5K. No matter how slow you are, you out there and racing, and that's what counts.

Chris
                  PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Well, just got home from the race! It was a blast! First time to write a race report...but here goes: After my 44:13 time last week I realized I pushed too hard, because my calf was hurting. So, after an attempted run on Monday night I knew I needed to take the rest of the week off and hope for the best today. The good news was that the calf wasn't hurting this morning when I was walking around. We got to the race early to enjoy the atmosphere. I saw some friends from work. I decided to start out together with one of the other teachers. I wasn't sure how this would go, but it ended up being great! I felt good the whole first mile, although HOT! It was probably 75 degrees and windy (though only going into the wind on the uphills, wasn't that a nice treat.) Got to mile marker 1 at about 14 min. Well under my goal pace. About halfway I knew I needed to slow down or face trouble at the end. My friend left me at this point and I settled into a better pace. No wonder I was tired because I got to mile 2 at about 28 min. Still under my 45 min. goal pace. I owned the third mile. I had found my grove, I was smiling. It felt great. At that point I knew I would make it in close to that 45 min. goal. Considering I hadn't run all week because of my calf I wasn't sure what I was going to be able to do today. Right about mi. three another fellow teacher was there cheering me on. (He just complete an Ironman in Az. a couple of weeks ago, so it was neat to see him excited about my 5K) He snapped a couple pictures and gave me the energy to pick up my pace and carry it home. Right before the finish line I saw my brother and sister-in-law cheering me in. I ran hard to the finish and AMAZED myself with a time of 42:44. It was an absolute blast, and I am definitely hooked. I am taking this week off/easy to rest my body, but I can't wait to start up again! I am already signed up for my next 5K Memorial Weekend, although that one is suppose to be a little hilly. =( I can't wait! Thanks for all the support and encouragement! Big grin
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations! You beat your goal time by a lot! In hot weather, too. Just to encourage you, I'll tell you that I ran my very first race a year ago this weekend in 41:20. I ran the identical course today in 30:56! Not blazing fast, but a big improvement. Just keep up the slow, consistent running, and you'll be surprised how quickly you improve. And no matter what your time, you're doing better than the masses who aren't getting off their couches! Let us know how your Memorial Day weekend race goes! Teresa
                        Great job!

Now that was a bath...

Congratulations on a great race Debbie!
                        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                            Nice job! Congrats to Debbie and Teresa for beating their goals Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Great job. Chills ran through me as I read your race report. There are few things better than a first race. Reads like there is a marathon in your future. Big grin

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Prophet!

way to go on your race and for signing up for the next one.