BQ time - based on chip time or official time? (Read 1779 times)

I'm sure this has been answered a zillion times before, and I'm sure you should be able to figure this out from the Boston Marathon website, but I'm going to ask it here anyway, because I haven't been able to find the answer elsewhere yet. I'm running a marathon tomorrow that uses the chip. You get two finishing times - the chip time and the 'official' time. The official time is how long it takes to finish after the horn blows to start the race, the chip time is the time it takes from when you cross the starting mat until you finish. The official time could be 2 or 3 minutes longer than the chip time. Which time is used to determine if you qualify for the Boston Marathon? Confused
      Never mind, I found it. According to the BAA website Boston Marathon Qualifying, "From races that use the chip timing system, the chip/net time will be accepted for qualifying purposes."

Hey, nice marmot!

I'd guess they'd accept chip time. It seems they'd be more interested in how fast you are rather than your overall placement in a given race. But that's just a guess. I poked around on the BAA website and I couldn't find any specifics. Either way, good luck tomorrow.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

Chip time is your official time. It IS what's used for your overall placement--not the gun time. MTA: Well, except for, generally, the top finishers.

I'm sure this has been answered a zillion times before, and I'm sure you should be able to figure this out from the Boston Marathon website, but I'm going to ask it here anyway, because I haven't been able to find the answer elsewhere yet. I'm running a marathon tomorrow that uses the chip. You get two finishing times - the chip time and the 'official' time. The official time is how long it takes to finish after the horn blows to start the race, the chip time is the time it takes from when you cross the starting mat until you finish. The official time could be 2 or 3 minutes longer than the chip time. Which time is used to determine if you qualify for the Boston Marathon? Confused
            if it's a Boston Qualifying course, your chip time is your official time. Only the elites/prize winners, who toe the line up front, go by gun time. Good luck tomorrow!

Jennifer mm#1231

Runner

Good luck, barring some rain it looks like good weather for atlanta this time of year(high of 55). Now go get that BQ.

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler