Not Racing ... (Read 948 times)

Alright, so first a little background information. My dad is a huge runner -- He runs almost everyday at work, in the coldest of weather, the hottest of days. He'll run 5Ks, to marathons, etc. It's crazy to see the dedication he has to the sport, especially someone who started an older age, he's 45 now, and he's doing about 6 minute miles. Unfortunately, he has let running consume him, and he seems to show more interest in running then he does in growing closer with his son, or dealing with issues that have needed to be dealt with. He spends his weekends running, and weekdays at meetings, etc. So while I do respect his dedication, I do not respect him, nor his cowardice ways. Now, I've begun to run, and every time I do, I can't help but feel like I am becoming him, and will only fall into the same obsession as him. While I know I am my own person, and can clearly make my own choices of whether or not to follow him, I fear that with a dedication of running, I may just continue to fall into this trap. Because for me, running is not about racing, having a great time compared to other people, or winning goals. It is not about anything of that (and I am not saying that stuff isn't important, so please don't feel I am knocking anyone or their goals here!), but it is just not my goal. For me running is just an escape from sitting at a desk all day, it's something to keep me healthy, in shape, and fit. As an outdoors lover, it gives me the opportunity to really get out there and explore new areas, and nature, and stuff. So I guess my question is this -- are there runners on here who don't race, and share the same interests as me, or is it inevitable that I will come to a point where I will not enjoy these things I do now, and will need that 6-7 days a week running, and races, marathons? I hope no one was offended or felt I was being judgmental or anything. Thanks guys!
    "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine

A Saucy Wench

It doesnt have to be one or the other either. It is possible to race occasionally, and still put your life first. But yes, there are people who run for fitness and dont get interested in racing. Many of us start racing as a way to keep it interesting because we really want to be couch potatoes. My untrained psychopop analysis is that if dad wanted to deal with the rest of his life he would regardless of running, and if he werent running he would be finding other ways to avoid dealing with what he needs to deal with. Running is just a convenient excuse.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

mikeymike

Sure there are people who run but don't race. There are also people who race but still manage to keep their priorities in order. People can become obsessive about anything. The problem here is not running or racing.

Runners run

It doesnt have to be one or the other either. It is possible to race occasionally, and still put your life first. But yes, there are people who run for fitness and dont get interested in racing. Many of us start racing as a way to keep it interesting because we really want to be couch potatoes. My untrained psychopop analysis is that if dad wanted to deal with the rest of his life he would regardless of running, and if he werent running he would be finding other ways to avoid dealing with what he needs to deal with. Running is just a convenient excuse.
          I see what you're saying. I guess taking a step back, and really observing the situation from a distance, I can see what you mean. It is an excuse, that could easily be replaced by drinking, television or anything else. It's the person, not the activity and I shouldn't let that push me away from trying new things.
          "Some people create with words or with music or with a brush and paints. I like to make something beautiful when I run. I like to make people stop and say, 'I've never seen anyone run like that before.' It's more than just a race, it's a style. It's doing something better than anyone else. It's being creative." - prefontaine
            Sure there are people who run but don't race. There are also people who race but still manage to keep their priorities in order. People can become obsessive about anything. The problem here is not running or racing.
            Yeah, my response to Ennay is the same to you. Thank you for your response. Allowing someone else to view the situation really gives me a new perspective about it.

The Greatest of All Time

Interesting question. I know first hand about picking up exercise habits of your father. My dad worked out 7 days a week when I was growing up. He did a lot of weights mixed in with running and rowing. He always looked great. But I remember sometimes resenting the fact that he spent so much time working out when I wanted to throw a baseball around. I remember we always had to plan our days around my dad's workout schedule and as a kid, it did suck at times. As an adult with the same habits, however, I understand. In restrospect, I don't think my father's addiction to working out had a negative impact on our relationship. It was positive for me to see the dedication and healthy lifestyle, so I am today thankful he was that way for so long. I sort of stumbled into distance running when I was in the Army, which many years later lead to triathlon, etc. I finally started lifting in 2005. Like father like son. But my father has never entered a race. It was his dream that he would do a marathon with me but overtrained himself into injury. I can't tell anyone why I am racing again this year after taking almost 10 years off. I intially started racing because I worked at a running specialty store and we always timed the races. Therefore, I usually got to race for free. Then for some unknown reason I decided I want to do triathlons and so I did that. There is no way to know if you will feel the need to enter races or get more serious about running. Either way, you're still a runner. I know people that race just to be part of the running community where they live. There is a social aspect to it. Some people just have a very strong competitive side and need to race to scratch that itch. Perhaps some race to collect T-Shirts and hang out. Just from thinking and writing this post, I think I am racing again just to have events to gear my training towards. I am not as fast as I was in the past and probably won't be. I am no longer built like a typical distance runner since I took up lifting. For me, there is no social aspect to it because I am not friends with anyone in my area that runs or races. I don't have the need to hang out or collect T-shirts that I will never wear. So why do I bother? I like the excitement of waking up on race day and having 'that' feeling in the pit of my stomach. I like the buzz you feel around the starting line and I love the satisfaction of running through the finish line. I like listening to energetic music before the race to help psych me up. I even welcome the pain during the race because it makes me feel alive. But I could live without that as long as I could still run, and in my eyes I wouldn't be any less of a runner. I would just have a different purpose and there's nothing wrong with that.
              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                My next door neighboor runs just about everyday and like your dad, runs a variety of distances. However he almost never does a race, he runs for the sake of running. I know of plenty of other runners who also never do races, my Dr (retired now) runs and had never run a race. On the other matter, I applaud you for your effort to try and find a common ground that you and your dad could share. I'm just the opposite of your dad,. I only started running at age 50 when my youngest was in college. I started running in secret so that I could surprise him and join him in a race, to find a common ground for us to share. Whether or not a works out for you and it brings you closer to your dad, I hope you are getting something out of it for yourself.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Interesting question. I know first hand about picking up exercise habits of your father. My dad worked out 7 days a week when I was growing up. He did a lot of weights mixed in with running and rowing. He always looked great. But I remember sometimes resenting the fact that he spent so much time working out when I wanted to throw a baseball around. I remember we always had to plan our days around my dad's workout schedule and as a kid, it did suck at times. As an adult with the same habits, however, I understand. In restrospect, I don't think my father's addiction to working out had a negative impact on our relationship. It was positive for me to see the dedication and healthy lifestyle, so I am today thankful he was that way for so long. I sort of stumbled into distance running when I was in the Army, which many years later lead to triathlon, etc. I finally started lifting in 2005. Like father like son. But my father has never entered a race. It was his dream that he would do a marathon with me but overtrained himself into injury. I can't tell anyone why I am racing again this year after taking almost 10 years off. I intially started racing because I worked at a running specialty store and we always timed the races. Therefore, I usually got to race for free. Then for some unknown reason I decided I want to do triathlons and so I did that. There is no way to know if you will feel the need to enter races or get more serious about running. Either way, you're still a runner. I know people that race just to be part of the running community where they live. There is a social aspect to it. Some people just have a very strong competitive side and need to race to scratch that itch. Perhaps some race to collect T-Shirts and hang out. Just from thinking and writing this post, I think I am racing again just to have events to gear my training towards. I am not as fast as I was in the past and probably won't be. I am no longer built like a typical distance runner since I took up lifting. For me, there is no social aspect to it because I am not friends with anyone in my area that runs or races. I don't have the need to hang out or collect T-shirts that I will never wear. So why do I bother? I like the excitement of waking up on race day and having 'that' feeling in the pit of my stomach. I like the buzz you feel around the starting line and I love the satisfaction of running through the finish line. I like listening to energetic music before the race to help psych me up. I even welcome the pain during the race because it makes me feel alive. But I could live without that as long as I could still run, and in my eyes I wouldn't be any less of a runner. I would just have a different purpose and there's nothing wrong with that.
                  Wow, thank you for taking the time to give me such a long, well thought out response. It's pretty cool to hear about your dad and you, and how you feel that it brought the two of you closer when you shared a common ground together. I can totally understand that, and I think that me running was my attempt to find that with him. Well, we found it, and running together does allow us to share a bit of time together, but beyond that, I can tell you there is really nothing. The effort that I put towards asking him how he placed in a race, or how his bad knee is feeling, or asking him running advice (even though it's a stupid question i already know the answer to, but just want to hear him be passionate about something in his life), but that effort is never returned and his interest in my activities is never there. I've tried countless times to involve him with things; showing him books i'm reading, actors I enjoy, etc. But it never goes beyond a "that's cool" or "oh". It kills me. What's even worse is that if he finds no interest in it, or goes against something he is into he will not only show no interest in it, but have to give his 2 cents about why he doesn't like it, or worse off, his being really cheap streak comes in and he begins to talk about how it costs too much or whatever (even when i've been finacially on my own for quite some time now). But it really does feel good to know that other people do know what I am talking about, or somewhere in the same ballpark. I shouldn't worry about what the future holds really, and just enjoy what it is I find enjoyable about running now. I should just do what I enjoy, but keep my eyes open for signs of falling into the same streak. thanks again.
                    My next door neighboor runs just about everyday and like your dad, runs a variety of distances. However he almost never does a race, he runs for the sake of running. I know of plenty of other runners who also never do races, my Dr (retired now) runs and had never run a race. On the other matter, I applaud you for your effort to try and find a common ground that you and your dad could share. I'm just the opposite of your dad,. I only started running at age 50 when my youngest was in college. I started running in secret so that I could surprise him and join him in a race, to find a common ground for us to share. Whether or not a works out for you and it brings you closer to your dad, I hope you are getting something out of it for yourself.
                    Yeah, it was an effort to find that common ground, and it only is there, during that run, but after it just slowly goes away. There are a million more details, but this is a running forum, not a family counsel. But I am beginning to really recognize the things I take from running, and why I love it so much. Its funny - what really inspired me to run, was that commercial that had a while back. It was this girl sleeping in bed, and her alarm went off, and she did a 90 degree turn out of her blankets and was in her running gear already and her shoes were by her bedside, she put them on, and went out running, and people were trying to catch her, but couldn't. I loved that commercial!

The Greatest of All Time

I feel very sorry that you're trying to reach out to your father and are not getting the desired response. My grandfather was like that, but obsessive with golf. I would try to talk golf with him but the conversations never went very far, just like you described. You couldn't get close to him emotionally, that's just how he was. But last September as my father, uncle, and I were looking at him in his coffin, I don't think either of us felt he didn't love the members of his family. He was just the way he was...emotionally distant. You can either accept it or bang your head up against a well trying to get a different response. Either way, you found your way to running and deep down inside you should thank him for that. Smile
                      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                        I feel very sorry that you're trying to reach out to your father and are not getting the desired response. My grandfather was like that, but obsessive with golf. I would try to talk golf with him but the conversations never went very far, just like you described. You couldn't get close to him emotionally, that's just how he was. But last September as my father, uncle, and I were looking at him in his coffin, I don't think either of us felt he didn't love the members of his family. He was just the way he was...emotionally distant. You can either accept it or bang your head up against a well trying to get a different response. Either way, you found your way to running and deep down inside you should thank him for that. Smile
                        I'm sorry about the death of your grandfather, but honestly, your posts are really inspiring. And yes, I do thank him very much for running.
                          You can either accept it or bang your head up against a well trying to get a different response.
                          Or, you could just sit him down and have a heart-to-heart. Or maybe just a more casual conversation. Or write him a letter. If you haven't already done so, perhaps letting him know how you're feeling will open his eyes. Spill your guts. Life is short.
                          Ringmaster

I'm glad you've found your way to running, because it seems to be bringing you joy. My dad and I are opposites here. He runs because he enjoys it. He never ran longer than about 10 kms, and he runs about 5 kms three or four times a week now (he turns 70 tomorrow!). He never ran a race in his life--I don't think he was competitive about it or cared to. I'm pretty competitive--ran track in middle and high school. Though I found other ways to be competitive later and gained a bit of weight, I found my way back to running last year. No one fields 400m races for middle-of-the-pack 30-somethings, so I had to train to run longer distances, something I never did when I was younger. My dad finds it amazing that I've run 13.1 miles, even more amazing that I raced it. I hope you're not running just toward your dad--you may find that journey disappointing. Running for its own sake, however, is likely to bring you good health and good friends. Running itself, though, doesn't make anyone what they are not. Which should be a comfort to you--you are not going to turn into your dad. You're taking what he gave you--a good idea--and making it your own. Run on!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                            Mile by Mile

Or, you could just sit him down and have a heart-to-heart. Or maybe just a more casual conversation. Or write him a letter. If you haven't already done so, perhaps letting him know how you're feeling will open his eyes. Spill your guts. Life is short.
                              Ah, Yes, I have tried this countless times. I've even done it during a run, because I know he'll be alert, but it is in one ear, and out the other as soon as he returns home to his wife, and step children. I appreciate this suggestion though, in any normal situation it would really help..
                                I'm glad you've found your way to running, because it seems to be bringing you joy. My dad and I are opposites here. He runs because he enjoys it. He never ran longer than about 10 kms, and he runs about 5 kms three or four times a week now (he turns 70 tomorrow!). He never ran a race in his life--I don't think he was competitive about it or cared to. I'm pretty competitive--ran track in middle and high school. Though I found other ways to be competitive later and gained a bit of weight, I found my way back to running last year. No one fields 400m races for middle-of-the-pack 30-somethings, so I had to train to run longer distances, something I never did when I was younger. My dad finds it amazing that I've run 13.1 miles, even more amazing that I raced it. I hope you're not running just toward your dad--you may find that journey disappointing. Running for its own sake, however, is likely to bring you good health and good friends. Running itself, though, doesn't make anyone what they are not. Which should be a comfort to you--you are not going to turn into your dad. You're taking what he gave you--a good idea--and making it your own. Run on!
                                Wow, 70, and still running. that's great! When i am 70, I jus want to be able to have my vision so I can go to the local cafe, and read books for hours upon hours. Blush I do have a competitive spirit in me -- I've played sports my whole life, but was never a jock type. I played, and left and that was it. I was more into skateboarding, music, etc. So for me running is that time to be alone, collect my thoughts, get exercise, and maybe someday it will be racing. Before starting this thread, I didn't think that racing would ever be an option, but you guys really helped me see that I shouldn't be afraid of it, just because I've watched someone else become so engulfed in it. And as you said about running to be toward him, I can say at the start it was that, but now it is no longer and I have found what I enjoy about it! Thanks again for your 2 cents on this!