Smartphone (Read 203 times)

Looking for some feedback on my first smartphone. Wondering iPhone, Android, or windows op systems. Looking at iPhone 4, Samsung Galaxy Exhilarate, Pantech Flex, Samsung Focus.  Discuss Smile

Genipher 

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up." –-Dean Karnazes 

"There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing" Dave Landgraf

zonykel

Iphone 4?

It's really your preference, and what you're use to. I think the iPhone is easier to use, but limits what you can do. The Android devices are a little harder to get use to, but give you as a user a lot of control over things.

If you like apple products and their idea of look and feel, then you'd like the iPhone. To me, the biggest drawback of the iPhone is it's not a multi-tasking OS.  Its that a big deal? Depends on what app you're using. Let's say you're timing a race with your iPhone, and then you want to text a message or take a cal.. When you switch apps, the timer app goes to the "background" and stops timing. It will resume when you bring it back to the foreground, but meanwhile it hasn't timed the race.

Until you played with both will you have a better idea what you like.

an amazing likeness

Seems to be there are 2 basic types of smart phone users:  Do you want a phone for talking, or a phone for apps?

If apps are the goal, then you need to decide your preference for iOS vs Android vs WindowsPhone 8 app ecosystem first.

Then hardware from there.

If you want a smartphone to be good phone...good luck with that...can't hardly buy a cell phone these days...

Were I shopping today, I'd look hard at the Android on Samsung hardware first (dang those Samsungs look huge) and iPhone next.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

xor

Iphone 4?

I'm going to bet it is a price thing.

I am at 18 months with my android Samsung Charge.  And my third unit.  I have to reboot it multiple times a day.  Aside from those two things (ha), it is actually a sharp unit and I really like.  Oh, except posting on RA kind of doesn't work in either the default browser (at all) or in firefox (it kind of does, but anything more than a few words is too hard).  And... check it out... it is a droid phone, like with the google operating system, and it refuses to run chrome, the google browser.  I have been told that this is because the Charge is old enough that it doesn't handle the proper version of the operating system to allow chrome.  Or some damn thing.  Anyway, I assume I could monkey with it if I really wanted to.  But me and my multiple CS degrees do not want to.

Why did I say 18 months? Because in Verizon terms, I can now change phones at a discount. Which I am totally going to do.  iphone5 or a droid that gets better ratings.  Not sure yet.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Why did I say 18 months? Because in Verizon terms, I can now change phones at a discount. Which I am totally going to do.  iphone5 or a droid that gets better ratings.  Not sure yet.

I switched from a Droid to an iPhone 5.  I love it.

Running is dumb.

If you want a smartphone to be good phone...good luck with that...can't hardly buy a cell phone these days...

+1  I sarcastically say quite often that my Android is great for everything but making a call.

zonykel

I did the same thing. i can't say that I "love" it, but there are certainly a lot of nice features. Some days I wish I had a bigger screen, though.

Yep I am looking at the iPhone 4 due to cost and being my first smartphone don't want to put a ton of money into something I don't know very much about.  I think that once I figure out what I really like I will spend more money.  It would be really nice if it actually made a good call too!! Big grin

Genipher 

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up." –-Dean Karnazes 

"There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing" Dave Landgraf

zonykel

Yep I am looking at the iPhone 4 due to cost and being my first smartphone don't want to put a ton of money into something I don't know very much about.  I think that once I figure out what I really like I will spend more money.  It would be really nice if it actually made a good call too!! Big grin

i see. Consider that the iphone 4 is 3G, though. There may be droid phones out there that are 4G and don't cost an arm and a leg.

Which reminds me, when I had a 3G phone, I had unlimited data... Now with 4G it's not. If you go with the iphone 4, see if you can get unlimited data (they might have done away with it altogether).

Ultra Cowboy

I'm 2 days into the switch and I'm not complaining yet...

WYBMADIITY

Save

Not dead. Yet.

I went the cheaper route and got a nice little android with unlimited data for only $30 a month and no contract.  The phone cost me $130 to buy outright.  It has a nice touchscreen and plays the games and does maps and navigation; the whole kit and kaboodle.

It all comes down to cost for me.  These contracts charge double what you need to pay and act like you are getting a favor when you get the iPhone for $100.  Just hope you don't accidental drop that new iPhone in the toilet.  You will be shelling out $500 to replace it.

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My Samsung Galaxy 3 is amazing.  Display, battery life, call quality, apps that I need, all great.

My Samsung Galaxy 3 is amazing.  Display, battery life, call quality, apps that I need, all great.

+1. Before the last OS update, I would cross out battery life from that list, but now it is on par or better than the various iPhones in my house.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Feeling the growl again

Interesting comments.  I've had a Galaxy S for 2+ years.  Samsung must have stepped up their game because this is the biggest POS electronic device I have ever encountered.  They made me update it by computer once (had to install a program, download to computer, then to phone), which I've never heard of with other phones.  Ever since it has been extremely buggy and throws a long series of error messages every time it is plugged/unplugged from the charger.  It is very slow and the camera really sucks.  I have tried everything to fix it, including chucking it across a hotel room, to no avail.

My wife has an iPhone and we run mostly Apple stuff but I can't get myself to move away from Android.  I detest texting on iPhones and love the Swype on Android.  Other than my personal experience I've heard mostly good things about the new Galaxy phones, I'm tempted to try one.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills