PETS & ALLERGIES (Read 543 times)

We've been thinking about getting a puppy for awhile but my older son (7 yrs) has allergies pretty bad...infact, gets allergy induced asthma when bad. So, we'd pretty much ruled the pet thing out. Recently, though, I spoke with our pediatrician and he told me that we might be able to have a dog with hair, not fur! I didn't know there was a difference!! Guess the furry dogs shed and the hairy ones don't, which reduces the allergen factor quite a bit! We need a dog that's good with kids that's not too huge. We're thinking about one of these little guys: Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Has anyone had to deal with the allergy/ pet issue? What kind of dog did you/ do you have and how has it been as far as allergies go?? Cats are totally out as we're really allergic to those! Darn it!! Smile

Finished!

you know...there are hypoallergenic cats. And not the hairless variety either - the Siberian is one such breed. Apparently a study is underway to confirm the hypoallergenic-ness of the cat - I do know someone who is otherwise allergic to cats who has one.
      Walk + Jog = wog.
      I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
      I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

you know...there are hypoallergenic cats. And not the hairless variety either - the Siberian is one such breed. Apparently a study is underway to confirm the hypoallergenic-ness of the cat - I do know someone who is otherwise allergic to cats who has one.
        Speak of the devil...I just discovered that there was such a breed a couple of days ago. They really sound like they have nice personalities, too. Joni, have you ever considered a Bichon Frise? Friends of ours have one and he is the nicest little guy. Super good with kids, even tiny ones. He was a puppy when we had our son and the two of them have always had fun together whenever we visit. Now they have their own newborn baby in the house and Griffin keeps looking at the tiny baby with this "why won't you come romp and play with me?" expression. Cutest thing. He always looks like he has a smile on his face. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

I have pet alergies (strongly to cats, a little milder for dogs) and I own a dog. I don't mean to contradict your pediatrician, but you should be cautious! I looked into the dog thing pretty carefully before I got my dog and this is what I learned: 1) There are some breeds of dogs that are considered hypoallergenic. These are generally dogs that don't shed (instead you have to pay big $$$ to get their hair clipped). I know that poodles and maltese fall in this category. West Highland White Terriers might also.. (they sure look a lot like poodles and maltese!). 2) Just because a breed is considered hypoallergenic doesn't mean they won't cause an allergic reaction in some people. It just means their fur doesn't fly around (which probably provokes more allergies). The allergic response is usually caused by a reaction to things in/on the dog's skin.. not the hair directly. When the hair flies up, some skin particles come with it. But those particles can be released even without shedding (such as when your son plays with your dog) so low/no sheddding is not a guarantee that there won't be problems. 3) That said, from what I've read (and from my own experience) some people are just more/less allergic to some dogs! For example, I'm allergic to my in-laws' poodle, even though he doesn't shed AT ALL! I'm not the least bit allergic to my own dog (a terrier mix) and he sheds a lot. From what I've read (granted, on some very not-scientific web-pages) this can vary by individual dog and individual owner! Moral of the story: I encourage you to look into the hypoallergenic dogs, as this might indeed work for your son. However, before you make any rash decisions, test out each individual dog with your son to make sure they won't cause him any problems (warning: it might be hard to get an honest assessment if he wants a dog badly enough). It wouldn't be fair to your son to jeapordize his health by acting too fast, and it wouldn't be fair to the dog to take it home and then give it up again right away... while we're on that topic, have you considered rescuing/adopting a dog? It's the best decision I ever made.... you can find lots of different shelters and search by breed and age at: www.petfinder.com Some of these shelters might even allow you to try a foster-care type scenario until you find the right dog? Just an idea. Good luck!
            Who'd have thunk! Looks like the Rex (couple kinds) are another type too...not as cute though! We'll have to keep that in mind. I grew up with cats all my life. My husband doesn't like them, but I think until you actually own one, you don't know how sweet and loving they are. Of course, after itching my eyes out for about 19 years, I finally figured out I had heavy allergies to cats! You'd think I'd have built up an immunity or something by that time! Tongue
            Joni, have you ever considered a Bichon Frise?
            No! I hadn't! Just now read a little about them and these look *sweet* too!! They're also considered to be a dog that has only one layer of hair (vs. fuzzy fur under and then a top coat) & just like you said, great with kids! Perfect! I'd actually never thought about searching for "hypoallergenic dogs" before, but you get quite a list! Pretty much all the poodle hybrids are included too, so there's quite a choice. I've always thought the west highlands were cute, so find it ironic that they fit the bill as far as what we "need"! I just always thought they were "cute"! So many choices! Was Griffin pretty easy to train do you know? That's one of the things I wonder about- training. My favorite dogs are labs, but they're out of the picture. Smaller dogs always seemed so hyper, but I've only read good things so far regarding training except for a couple of the hypoallergenic types Big grin
            There are some breeds of dogs that are considered hypoallergenic. These are generally dogs that don't shed (instead you have to pay big $$$ to get their hair clipped).
            I was excited after the pediatrician told me about the "hairy dogs", but then since my husband has had a yorkie, he reminded me about the haircut factor. Of course, what was I thinking. If they don't shed, and you don't cut them, it'd only figure they'd eventually end up looking like Cousin It from the Adams Family! Still, I know how it was to grow up with animals all my life and I want my kids to at least be able to have a dog if possible. I actually haven't checked into the cost of this yet, so there's still a possibility we might change our minds! LOL There is a place around here ...a doggy ranch. It's like a doggy resort! I was on a field trip with my son and turned out one of the moms I went with is a groomer there, so since I still have her # think I'll give her a call! If it's too outrageous for a pup cut, and if puppy salons are like people salons, maybe I could just take the dog to more of a BoRics or Fantastic Sams vs. a doggy salon! Big grin
            Just because a breed is considered hypoallergenic doesn't mean they won't cause an allergic reaction in some people. It just means their fur doesn't fly around (which probably provokes more allergies). The allergic response is usually caused by a reaction to things in/on the dog's skin.. not the hair directly. When the hair flies up, some skin particles come with it. But those particles can be released even without shedding (such as when your son plays with your dog) so low/no sheddding is not a guarantee that there won't be problems.
            What a good point. I also just read, which I never knew, that proteins in things like their saliva, urine, and mucous cause allergies- not just the fur and skin proteins. So yeah, now I can see even more how it might not necessarily mean you'd be guaranteed an allergy free pet if you're getting a hairy vs. fury friend.
            have you considered rescuing/adopting a dog? It's the best decision I ever made.... you can find lots of different shelters and search by breed and age at: www.petfinder.com Some of these shelters might even allow you to try a foster-care type scenario until you find the right dog?
            That's got to be my biggest fear is getting the dog home, having the kids fall in love with it (a total of probably 2 whole seconds) and disrupting the dog ontop of it. Especially bad if the dog has to go back. I don't know if I could do it. I have always vowed, even when I was little, that if I ever got a dog when I was an adult, I wouldn't pay a breeder (nothing against breeders), I'd go rescue one! I was just thinking finding a certain specific type in an animal shelter wouldn't be possible as you'd never know exactly what type the dog is. But never thought about the shelters before. Gosh, there are so many animals out there needing homes, this would be a great option! And I'll bet you they'd be willing to let you "try one out" too. Great idea. Thanks!!
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I grew up with cats all my life. My husband doesn't like them, but I think until you actually own one, you don't know how sweet and loving they are. Of course, after itching my eyes out for about 19 years, I finally figured out I had heavy allergies to cats! You'd think I'd have built up an immunity or something by that time! Tongue Was Griffin pretty easy to train do you know? That's one of the things I wonder about- training.
              My dad said for years that the only good cat is a dead one (even had the book "101 things to do with a dead cat")...then we found Oreo. Oreo was dad's "Buddy" and the guy cried his eyes out when that cat died at 16. Now my dad has 2 feline best friends (they have 3, total), Ben and Skade. Ben is a big, placid male like Oreo was and Skade is a petite little girl that they rescued as a semi-feral cat last Winter. She loves my dad more than anyone else. I think Griffin was pretty easy to train. He's very well-mannered and only barks when people come to the door...then when they come in he runs around in circles panting like mad...then will follow along like a puppy and snuggle-up with anyone sitting down. Here's a big photo of him guarding his new baby sister: click for pic Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

My dad said for years that the only good cat is a dead one (even had the book "101 things to do with a dead cat")...then we found Oreo. Oreo was dad's "Buddy" and the guy cried his eyes out when that cat died at 16. Now my dad has 2 feline best friends (they have 3, total), Ben and Skade. Ben is a big, placid male like Oreo was and Skade is a petite little girl that they rescued as a semi-feral cat last Winter. She loves my dad more than anyone else. I think Griffin was pretty easy to train. He's very well-mannered and only barks when people come to the door...then when they come in he runs around in circles panting like mad...then will follow along like a puppy and snuggle-up with anyone sitting down. Here's a big photo of him guarding his new baby sister: click for pic Smile k
                How hilarious! The "101 Things to do with a Dead Cat" man now best friends with 2 cats! I'm tellin' ya, to know 'em is to love 'em. I think there would even be hope for my hubby if we had one! I don't know who's cuter- the baby or the dog! (Don't tell your friends that!) Big grin