What is your favorite speed workout? (Read 207 times)

We need a new poll this week.  Here ya go.  Smile

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

Tried to vote, but nothing happens when I click "vote". I feel so marginalized.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Weird.  I can't vote either.  Let me see if I can figure out what the deal is.

Walk-Jogger

I can't vote either. And why isn't there an "all of the above" option?

Retired &  Loving It

I can't vote either. And why isn't there an "all of the above" option?

Eric fixed it so you can vote now.  Pretend that a coach said there was only one kind of speed workout that you could do.  Which one would it be?  Also, I should have had an option for "I hate speed work and never do it!"

Why isn't "masking tape excercise" listed?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
              scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

I came in here expecting to see actual distances listed, but that's OK.  Track intervals are most fun for me.  I'm very precise and I love it when I can hit consistent times on each rep.  200s and 400s are the best.  (Because they conform best to the track length, 200s if indoor, 400s if outdoor).  Yes, I'm a little OCD...

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Sultan of slug

Tempo runs are my favorite of the above options, but I'm not sure they belong on a list of "speed workouts."

spinach

My local running store has a 5k run every wednesday night.  I run it as my speed work, somedays I will run it at my 5k racing pace but most times I run it a bit slower, (about ten or fifteen seconds per mile slower).  This is my only weekly speed work other than actual races.  So i clicked "Races as workouts" in the poll.

My new favorite workout is the reverse 1600 cut down ladder.

1600,1200,800,400,400. Rest (3:00,2:30,2:00,1:30).

jmctav23

2/3rds training

what, no run up and down a mountain as fast as possible option?

what, no run up and down a mountain as fast as possible option?

Ha!  That would probably qualify as a hill repeat.  Big grin

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Track favorite is a workout I call the Track Meet.  3200-1600-800-400-200-100, each run close to maximal, with half the distance as the recovery (i.e. runn 3200, jog 1600, run 1600, jog 800, etc.).  The 100 is more to complete the cycle than anything else.  I call it favorite because it was fun to do, but I've only done it twice, as it's kind of a pointless leg-destroyer.

Road Interval favorite:  I call it 2x(5-3-1).   It's:

5 minute hard (5k pace)

5 minute easy

3 minute hard (1k pace)

3 minute easy

1 minute hard (Like you're being chased by the Witch King)

1 minute easy

then repeat the whole set.  The turn (going from 1 min sprint, 1 min easy, then into the second set with 5 min hard) is brutal, but once you survive that second 5min hard, then you're home free.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

My new favorite workout is the reverse 1600 cut down ladder.

1600,1200,800,400,400. Rest (3:00,2:30,2:00,1:30).

and JeFfFgoBlue [trying to type that is hard] Ladder workouts have always confused me. I think the problem is that I like to hook into ONE pace per workout (mile pace, 800 pace for faster repeats, 5k pace for longer ones etc.) and have difficulty shifting all around. I get the psychological relief of ever-shorter repeats, but for me it's a lot easier to pick a single distance and try to run it at the same pace or just slightly faster over the course of the workout... doing a ladder is confusing. If you are running at the same pace for all of the repeats, I don't see the point, and if you are running each one at a different pace, for me it woudl seem like it wouldn't teach my body the desired pace.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

I love simple tempos.  20 minutes @ ~LT is pretty much my favorite.

I also have a love/hate relationship with long-ish hill repeats, such as 5 x 4:00 uphill at ~10K effort.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                                Emil Zatopek