Rookie Questions (Read 884 times)

Hi all... Just this week I made the commitment to start running, I'm sure you will all agree that it was a good choice. My short term goal is to finish a 10K race..... then win in Boston. Wink So far I've completed 3 short runs (less than 10K total) which I think is a good start. I have noticed that I am getting a small blister on the inside of the ball of each foot, its almost on the side of my foot. I went to a reputable running shop and purchased shoes that they suggested for me and a couple of pairs of socks. I am not putting blame on my shoes/socks. Are these blisters a result of..... 1. Bad Technique 2. Getting used to new shoes 3. Getting used to running 4. anything I didn't mention 5. a combination of any of the above Thanks, Jason

Most likely causes for blisters (in descending order of likelihood in my experience): Inappropriate shoes for your running style/gait/body type/shoe size. Damp feet. Anything in the shoe that shouldn't be there such as a pebble. It could be bad technique. It could also be getting used to running if your feet are not used to the new stresses that you are putting on them. Chances are pretty good that it isn't a pebble since it is happening in the same spot to both feet. My guess would have to be that the shoes may be a little too narrow for you. That's just a guess, though. Now, are you sure you are getting a blister or are you just getting callouses on your feet?

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

My guess would have to be that the shoes may be a little too narrow for you. That's just a guess, though.
        That would be my first guess, too. The shoes that have given me the worst blister area (same spot you are describing) are too narrow for me (even though they are "wides"). I only get it on my right foot, which is my somewhat larger/wider foot. Once I broke them in a bit better it became less of a problem, but I still have to Body Glide that spot to keep the blister at a minimum. There is also a seam there that contributes. I'd suggest applying Body Glide to the spots where you are blistering. Hopefully the shoes will stretch a bit as you break them in, then it shouldn't be as great a problem. If you like the shoe, then maybe when you are ready to purchase a new pair you can look for them in a wider width or go with a half size larger, assuming they don't come in wider widths. Different socks can help, too. Cotton will contribute to blisters. Some folks swear by the Wright brand of double-layer anti-blister socks, but I personally prefer Smartwool running socks. There are also blister powders that can be sprinkled inside socks before each run and they are supposed to be helpful. YMMV, though. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Different socks can help, too. Cotton will contribute to blisters.
          Great point; it slipped my mind. Smile

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

ballermatt7198

Hey, I have a question. I am only 13 and today I ran about 3.75 miles. I live in Cincinnati, Oh and it was fairly hard b/c it was about 100 degrees outside. I run about an 7 and a half to 8 min. mile. I was wondering how to decrease my time.
              Uh, I think I know you... Wink Congratulations on your decision to start running, and welcome to the RA forums! Body glide is a good suggestion. I have had a lot of success with Vaseline too (and, it's much cheaper). Proper footcare warrants a mention. Investing in a good pumice stone and moisturizing my feet daily after showering has kept my dogs in pretty good shape. That said, both baby toes are in rough shape. Always have been, and likely always will be. I suspect this is just your feet getting used to running.
                Thanks for all of the advice. Generally I have a wide-ish foot so the shoes could be too narrow. If it persists i'll try the body glide (that sounds dirty to a rookie runner) I have the Wright double-layer socks. I think it is a blister but after a day off yesterday there was no pain during today's run.