Four steps to perfect marathon fueling (Read 873 times)

va

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

This article is an advertisement for InfinIT Nutrition. Its premise is oversimplified and its advice is inadequate. If only it were this easy.
      va

Darn!
        mikeymike

I'm thinking my plan is to take a Gu 15 minutes before the gun, carry two with me and take them at like miles 7 and 14 ish, then take one from the aid station or gu-giver-outers-on-bikes at around mile 18-19. That's 400 cals plus what's in my bod and should, with intelligent pacing, get 'er done. Of course I've been wrong on this before with tragic results but I'm older and wiser now. Well, older anyway.

Runners run

Dog-Love

You're not that old....I am old and I am planning a similar GU routine. I still like the poptart 1.5 hours before starting and then GU at 7, 14, and 20 miles. I can only eat the unflavored so hope they have that in the support...otherwise I bring my own. And in all this training I have learned a ton about my body and hydration and I think I have that figured out finally. Most important is the HTFU temp tatoo on the inside of my wrist.
            Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
            Jeffrey

The instructions on GU read: How to GU properly: take 1 45 min prior to start, 1 15 minutes before start, 1 every 30-45 minutes during the race. I like to GU at around every 6 miles. I've never eaten a GU 45 minutes pre-race; I'd rather eat something with texture that early. Mikey: I think you wrote about salt in another thread. Where did you end up with that? Additional supplements during the race or rely on aid station fluids?
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There is no right answer for GU, and no matter how much you take, it won't be enough at a full marathon effort or harder. If you take too much, it will sit in your stomach and make you sick.

There is no right answer for GU, and no matter how much you take, it won't be enough at a full marathon effort or harder. If you take too much, it will sit in your stomach and make you sick.
                  It's impossible to replace every calorie that you burn while you are still working out. Thankfully, there's no need to. For myself, I make sure that I have enough fuel to start the marathon, and take a gel packet every 30 or 40 minutes. I stop after about 2 hours and 20 minutes or so as I won't have enough time to process anything else anyway. I also take plenty of water as I go. Since I started doing this, I stopped hitting the wall. I recommend that you experiment in training and your early marathons and find out what method works best for you. It took me 6 or 7 marathons to get a good idea on what was best for my body, ranging from only taking water to massively over fueling.

Run to Win
                  25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

mikeymike

Mikey: I think you wrote about salt in another thread. Where did you end up with that? Additional supplements during the race or rely on aid station fluids?
                    I'm not too worried about salt for the marathon unless 48 hours before the thing it looks like we're going to have a super crazy heat wave (not unheard of in marathons I've spent months getting ready for, but still unlikely.) That was more an issue in training during hot weather, especially in successive days of hot weather. Thankfully that has past us by in these parts--actually we didn't have too much hot weather at all this year. My gu plan is more based on what I've practiced on some longer runs than reading the instructions. I know I can't handle one but every 7-8 miles or so, otherwise I just get a big gut bomb.

Runners run

Jeffrey

Yeah, I think the instructions sounded pretty aggressive. If I ate 2 of those GUs prior to my race I'd be crampin' big time!
                      My gu plan is more based on what I've practiced on some longer runs than reading the instructions. I know I can't handle one but every 7-8 miles or so, otherwise I just get a big gut bomb.
                      RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I've been training with cliff shots but I am either getting tired of them or between that and the gatorade am getting a little too much sugar in my system. Anyway, I tried sportsbeans (those jellybean things) on my last run and liked the taste and that I could eat them more throught the race like maybe 4 every mile. Anyway ever use those at all. If so how many, how often do you take them. Are they as good as the others or a waste of time. I plan to try them on my last 20 miler this Friday.
                          2011 Goals:
                          Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                          Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

Imminent Catastrophe

... It's impossible to replace every calorie that you burn while you are still working out. Thankfully, there's no need to. ..
                          Yeah. A better measure is, how many calories can you absorb while working out, because any more than that will be absorbed after you finish and will not help you. The consensus number I have found is that 200-240 calories/hour is the most that you can intake. So someone running a 4-hour marathon would need 800-1000 calories. Pre-race food could add a few more. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

mikeymike

Really all you want to do is take on the minimum number of calories required to keep from fully depleting your glycogen stores, or bonking. Any more than that is wasted during the run and could cause other complications like stomach cramps etc. There's plenty of time after the race for replenishing. That's not what fueling on the run is about. How much you need to take in is highly dependant on your pace. If you're running at a relaxed and easy pace with a goal of simply finishing, you probably don't need to take on any calories--at those paces you're burning carbs to fat in about a 50/50 ratio and you have plenty of fuel stored to run well over 26 miles. The problem is that, for most of us, marathon race pace burns glycogen at a much faster clip than easy running so if we don't take in some sugar on the run, we'll bonk. This is exacerbated by the fact that going out just a tiny bit faster than race pace burns glycogen even faster and significantly reduces our fuel window. This is why aiming for a positive split and trying to "put some time in the bank" is usually a really bad idea.

Runners run

Really all you want to do is take on the minimum number of calories required to keep from fully depleting your glycogen stores, or bonking. Any more than that is wasted during the run and could cause other complications like stomach cramps etc. There's plenty of time after the race for replenishing. That's not what fueling on the run is about. How much you need to take in is highly dependant on your pace. If you're running at a relaxed and easy pace with a goal of simply finishing, you probably don't need to take on any calories--at those paces you're burning carbs to fat in about a 50/50 ratio and you have plenty of fuel stored to run well over 26 miles. The problem is that, for most of us, marathon race pace burns glycogen at a much faster clip than easy running so if we don't take in some sugar on the run, we'll bonk. This is exacerbated by the fact that going out just a tiny bit faster than race pace burns glycogen even faster and significantly reduces our fuel window. This is why aiming for a positive split and trying to "put some time in the bank" is usually a really bad idea.
                              I completely agree with you here!! My last marathon I ran as a training run. I did eat a package of shot blocks BUT didn't really need to. Now this next marathon that I'm actually going for time I'll definetly need something!! Oh I've tried the banking time in the first half of race.BAD idea!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Go Pre!

Most important is the HTFU temp tatoo on the inside of my wrist.
                                love it - where ca I get one?!