Walking mileage along with running (Read 921 times)

Hi there, For new runners what effect does walking additional mileage usually have on running mileage. I want to start walking to work more. Right now, along with running the C25K I am walking maybe 12K a week I would like to up that to 30 to 35K a week along with my one hour runner program. Should I worry about upping the walking mileage gradually too? Of course I'll just try to listen to my body but I'm wondering how far to push the walking and other cross training (cycling, weight training and yoga) without putting myself at too high a risk of an injury that will affect my running.
    The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
    • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
    • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
    • Complete a 10K fun run
      When I first started running, I would many times use walking as a "rest" day from running. I had no issues with it - and since I was trying to lose weight - it just added to the "calories burned" pile. Like many other things related to running, you just have to try it for yourself and see. I wouldn't worry so much about injury though. Walking engages some different muscles than running - also there is not quite the impact.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

My wife is alway QUICK to point out that you can get as good of a workout walking as you can running (calorie wise) - she hates running and cant figure out why I run. I'm not sure if I agree but I see her point. I do incorporate some walking weekly (but I never put walking miles in my running log). I usually complete my run and then walk a mile to cool down and get my legs back, and its not unusual for me to get in my run and then walk a couple of miles later in the day with my wife (on weekends). As stated by Bonkin, it doesnt have the same impact as running and works different muscles, so there never seems to be a problem (at least I haven't experienced any problems from walking). I think of walking kind of like eating a realy low calorie salid when I wanted a steak and Ice Cream. I dont really like it much, but it will fill me up, if I keep eating. It definately works and it definately helps (I personally just dont really like it). The only times I have really noticed it was when I went for an especially long walk, like 5 or 6 miles and then ran the next day - I will notice that Im a little slower during the run...feel it a little in your legs. I can tell you I dont walk that far very often unless my wife talks me into it. I doubt it will effect your running and any aerobics is good, and I think that you could increase your walking miles very quickly......as you stated listen to your body and you will be fine.....JohnA

Champions are made when no one is watching

Half Fanatic #846

I think walking can be logged here under cross-training. Walking is great exercise - very much underrated, and is recommended as one form of x-training. I always spend the first part of my warm ups and the last part of my cool downs walking for a few minutes. And, many endurance events include a significant amount of walking. So - enjoy! Cool

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Thanks guys. I'll try to do as much as I can and observe and see what happens. Heading in to weeks one through 3 of the One Hour Runner I will be keeping on the same running I've been doing now for two weeks (30 min of running 3 times a week) so that isn't much running and even for me I'm finding it manageable. I will use this time to up some of the other kinds of training I know I need more of like strength and yoga and of course the walking. I can't add the running miles too quick cause the pounding really adds up on me (I learned that in week 8 of the C25K when I tried to go from 20 min to 3.5K that took me 40 min - it was all bad but not until two weeks into it and I don't want a repeat of that so I'm not going to skip OHR weeks for sure. Re: logging I played around with the training log and even though someone on another thread noted that you can add walk as a type of run work out I want to track that separately and so I put it as a type of cross training work out. The only down side is that I can't track shoes mileage for walking shoes that way. I don't count the walking that I do to warm up and cool down after a run (as either a run or a walk... I just don't count em) but I am entering longer walks that I do and my walking commute to work (3.5K each way). Went for a long walk today 7.5K so I'll see how my run feels tomorrow. It is my last run of the C25K... exciting stuff.
            The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
            • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
            • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
            • Complete a 10K fun run
              I think you are really doing well....you are IN TO IT and doing things right and being cautious....i think you will see some great increases in fitness soon.....keep up the work and enthusiasm.....JohnA

Champions are made when no one is watching