Bone Density (Read 197 times)

Roses Revenge

One of the things that is indicated for osteoporosis/osteopenia is weight bearing exercises such as walking/running.  I had a bone density scan last week, and the results show that I am now out of the osteoporosis range and into the osteopenia range!  I give most of the credit to the amount of walking/running I do.  Mostly walking.  My bone density scan two years ago had me at minus 2.6 which is right on the edge of the osteopenia/osteoporosis line.  Last week I came in a minus 2.1 in the spine and minus 2.2 in the hip. The doc tells me to keep doing what I'm doing.

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis in 2002 and the bone density scan showed levels of minus 3.5.  I was in an osteoporosis study for 5 years, but think I was taking the placebo rather than the study med.  Then was on Fosamax in 2008 through 2012.  I was always fairly active (at least compared to other people I knew) but didn't follow any kind of training plan until 2006 when I decided to train to walk the Portland marathon.  Little did I know at the time, that in the next 7 years I would do 60 plus races ranging from 5K to 50K.

Tell your mothers/grandmothers to go for a walk!  Every day.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

bluerun

Super B****

You have osteopenia and you run ultras??  And my doctor told me I'd probably never run a marathon... thank you for posting this, it's encouraging to me.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Roses Revenge

Well, I'm old and slow, and I mostly walk.  It's the same distance, it just takes longer.  At last count, I'm at 35 half marathons, 19 full marathons, 1 50K and a handful of shorter races.  This includes some Maniac/Fanatic things.  I'm a 4 star maniacs with 2 in 2 days, and a 6 moon fanatic with 4 in 4 days. Also top 3 in AG in more than half of the races I've done.  Small races and low participation by the old folks makes that easier.

Marathon Maniac #991 Half Fanatic #58 Double Agent #22  It's a perfect day and I feel great!

Latent Runner

Rose, you rock!  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
          • 2-mile: 13:49
          • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
          • 5-Mile: 37:24
          • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
          • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
          • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

I moved from osteopenia to bottom level osteoporosis despite running 2000 miles a year, but I'm not worried about it.  I took some of the drugs in the past, but I stopped because I think the jury is really out on those drugs- and I am NOT one of those people who refuses to take medication!   My doctor is not particularly concerned, but I definitely have bone density issues.  I take D and calcium.  So much of it is hereditary.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Roses Revenge

Yes.  Definitely hereditary especially on the maternal side of the family, and I physically resemble that side more than the paternal side.  I'm about  a year and a half post prescription meds at this point, but do take calcium and vitamin D every day.

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Good news, Rose!

I also took up running again in 2006 when I was diagnosed with ostopenia (-1.4/-1.6). I've shown improvements since then and am mostly out of the ostopenia category (-1.0/-1.0). I've been taking Fosamax and running regularly. Since then I've run 7 marathons, 12 half marathons, 15 triathlons and many smaller distance races. Like Rose, I am often in the top 3 in my AG. I hope to keep running for a long time and to stay healthy. Keep running, ladies; your bones will thank you for it.

PADRunner

Wish I could say the same but running has not helped mine any. A year after 2 years on forteo  I'm back to osteoporosis. Worried about continuing running. I was initially diagnosed after 2 compression fractures trying c25k.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

That's great Rose!

steph  

Respect, Rose!!

I wish all the grumbling people here would be so obstinate as you are. Smile

greetings,

Bartles

I had a running related sacral stress fracture in late May and am now 2 weeks back into running.  I was on crutches for 4 weeks and it wasn't fun.  My orthopedist (who knows my history) read me the riot act and I went back on Forteo injections.  I'll do my remaining 18 months.  It helped the fracture heal well, too.  I'm going to have to do some thing after the Forteo runs out, and I'm not sure what that will be.  I am fortunate to have good medical insurance, because Forteo is incredibly expensive.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Roses Revenge

I wish all the grumbling people here would be so obstinate as you are. Smile

Don't let my husband hear you say that.  He thinks I'm way too obstinate!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Nice work, Rose! Way to take the bull by the horns! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.