New course surface/terrain category? (Read 663 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, Eric...any way we can have a category for snow/slush/ice? About half of my 7+ miles today were not on dry, clean pavement, but weren't exactly "trail," either. Man, I think I got an extra good workout using different muscles as I tried to keep from falling (had a few close calls, too...sometimes my "running" was more in the form of mincing and sliding). Thanks, k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

vicentefrijole

That's an excellent idea.. we've got the snow/sluch/ice here in Chicago also... perhaps it should be called "loose terrain" or something so it can include running on sand (also quite difficult)? Or maybe that's too much...
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, but sand is not nearly as trecherous/slippery, though it is hard as hell...I think it deserves its own category. I live just a couple of miles from some beautiful sandy beaches, but I don't plan to ever run on them--ow! I hear you guys really got walloped yesterday. My brother lives about an hour NW of the city and got a foot. I think we ended up with 6-8" of very heavy, slippery/wet stuff. k

~ Sarah Kay

eric :)

Maybe a new set of categories is what's needed here to describe road conditions because it is not a permanent thing. I'll see what I can do while working on reporting. Should it be a set of checkboxes or free text?
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Should it be a set of checkboxes or free text?
            I think either would be fun. A category of "Midwest Winter Crap" would also probably be a perfect descriptor... Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

I make a note in the comments section of the run when it is slippery. Though I am far enough into the bible belt that it happens very rarely! A couple ideas: 1) Work around the problem! Add a "Midwestern Madness" run to your types of runs. Just like intervals and fartleks are different from long runs, so is a sludge run! Big grin 2) Ask Eric to add an option to add your own terrain, just like you can add your own types of runs or cross-training activities. Cool