My favorite sport makes the big time! (Read 221 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I love running... And I love Cycling....

---But I have to think that running while carrying the cycle in such a long race is above my level of strength, endurance, and ability.

I envy those guys.  (I think?!)  :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

TJoseph

So it is kind of like cross country running, but with a bicycle on your shoulder?

jmctav23

2/3rds training

Odd that a story about a form of cycle racing only included pictures of said cyclists running...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Odd that a story about a form of cycle racing only included pictures of said cyclists running...

It's really more multi-sport than pure cycle racing.  The toughest races are the ones that have portions that cannot be ridden.  I tend to do better at those than a lot of people who don't run at all, too.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Anyone who would do that sport is just crazy.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anyone who would do that sport is just crazy.

Guilty.

~ Sarah Kay

jmctav23

2/3rds training

It's really more multi-sport than pure cycle racing.  The toughest races are the ones that have portions that cannot be ridden.  I tend to do better at those than a lot of people who don't run at all, too.

Oh I know what cx is, have yet to give it a shot myself but I'm looking for a cross bike for myself at the moment (I know I've missed the whole season already.)  But it is a form of cycle racing and the cycling bits are just as cool to photograph as run-ups are.  Plus it make it look somewhat more appealing than muddy run-ups.

cross racin

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh I know what cx is, have yet to give it a shot myself but I'm looking for a cross bike for myself at the moment (I know I've missed the whole season already.)  But it is a form of cycle racing and the cycling bits are just as cool to photograph as run-ups are.  Plus it make it look somewhat more appealing than muddy run-ups.

+1.  The best photos of me during races are definitely NOT the ones of me off the bike...I couldn't take a good photo running if my life depended upon it!  This is one of my favorite race shots ever:

You will not regret buying a CX bike--they can go more places than pretty much any other bike and with 2 sets of wheels/tires you could have a nice road racer, too (a friend does just that with a custom Ti Seven Mudhoney).  My current n+1 would be something a bit higher-end than my current ride, with disc brakes.  I tried ONE Winter ride on the above bike with studded tires and the braking ability with iced rims was horrifying.  I couldn't stop.  Totally dangerous riding on the road with cars and no ability to stop at intersections.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Eva Bandman park in Louisville? Tiny. Flat.

Dude.

A nice little park, it is where my high school played soccer and field hockey. Right long the river. Great for that.

But for cyclocross? Meh. Boring.

Why is it sideways?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Dude.

A nice little park, it is where my high school played soccer and field hockey. Right long the river. Great for that.

Oh, that's a bummer...without scary steep hills it's not very interesting. Sad

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

In the WSJ, too.

That is great...and spot-on.  A friend is headed to KY right now and we are really jealous.  I would love to experience that atmosphere.

~ Sarah Kay

Dude.

Have you been down there lately?  I haven't since the summer, so don't know what it looks like for this event, but they've been working on redeveloping it for the last couple years for this weekend.  While the base near the river is still flat, they've added some mounds and have it wind up the hill, through the trees near the road.  When I first saw the signs for the race a year or so ago I didn't know what cyclocross was, but thought it looked like a fun BMX course.

Better I Leave

Interesting. The only cycling event I ever participated in was a 100K. I enjoyed it, but this looks like something I could "sink my teeth into". I can appreciate events involving strength and endurance...Which is why I was initially drawn toward Tough Mudder. Good read, thanks ZZ. Smile