My favorite sport makes the big time! (Read 221 times)

xhristopher

Eva Bandman park in Louisville? Tiny. Flat.

Dude.

A nice little park, it is where my high school played soccer and field hockey. Right long the river. Great for that.

But for cyclocross? Meh. Boring.

I've not yet bothered to figure out why they picked Louisville but think flat would be really boring. People usually crash on the hills and that's so fun to watch.

Just for kicks, thinking how hard can this sissy ass cyclocross thing be, I entered a race last fall. Turns out anyone of us here could probably handle it. It's on a little bike after all! Even those of us who can't balance could just run around carrying a bike and sneak in a few shortcuts.

They ran it in one of those nice little parks where kids play soccer, baseball, etc... (below) and the damn thing had only 1500 ft of elevation gain / loss in about 11 miles (a similar rate as that Monkey Marathon you shouldn't even bother to train for) all on soft wet grass, mud, and some gravel. So easy.

I don't know what the big deal is and why all those euro guys in tights had to come over and gobble up the first 18 or so places on a flat course in Louisville. I am a little bummed Katie didn't win tho.

xhristopher

I'm sorry about that last post. I should not have been so long winded and just pointed out that cyclocross has one thing in common with running, and it's not running. It's beer.

You know how we you run a little race they hand you cups of water or sticky sugary drink to keep you hydrated??? Well, in cyclocross they hand you cups of beer.

xhristopher

Like I said, any of us could do it. Here are some elites. Not only do they get to run, they get to lean on something while running. It's kinda like using a walker.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's my friend Tyson.  Tyson was out for most of this season with mono and other injury issues.  He did beer and sometimes cookie "hand-ups."

When I was injured I handed out bacon with my good hand (that's my hubby grabbing a piece o'pork!):

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

Muppets can do it:

why are they tag-team asphyxiating that poor midget?

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

mikeymike

It's called an elf hand-up. Learn the lingo or get out of this thread. Elves are nutritious and delicious.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ha, we've talked about how awesomely photo-bombed that ended up!

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's called an elf hand-up. Learn the lingo or get out of this thread. Elves are nutritious and delicious.

Crunchy bits with a chewy center!

~ Sarah Kay

Guilty.

Oh! I heard this on the radio and forgot to tell you about it.  Click.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh! I heard this on the radio and forgot to tell you about it.  Click.

Thanks!  I heard that the other day...I love that the author's last name is Schwing!

~ Sarah Kay

anthonyfossaluzz

I ran through this course yesterday as a part of

my long run.  It was supposed to continue through Sunday but the river was rising and they couldn't keep the water out.  the course was crazy looking.   I think they packed all of the events in on Saturday. I was hoping to check it out but I think Saturday was about 40 bucks.  I've never seen the sport, and I thought, based on how narrow the course was, surely it was just a time trial thing, not multiple racers.  I saw some pics from a friend who went and it looked nuts.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, I saw some photos taken yesterday and it's a REALLY good thing they moved everything back.  Parts of the course were completely flooded.

~ Sarah Kay