Would YOU do speedwork with this issue? (Read 988 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

A few nights back I had a recovery run planned for the day after my long run for the week. Like a dumbass I wore my speedy shoes and then felt obligated to run too fast and hard...which was fine for about 1.5 miles, then I paid. Ever since I've had kind of a dull ache and semi-weak feeling behind my right knee and into my right shin just below the knee. My leg feels better, but it's still pretty iffy feeling. I was planning to do 4.5-5 miles of tempo or intervals this AM, but now I'm thinking I should just make it an easy 45 minute run. So should I HTFU and do my speedwork or take it easy...I don't want to risk serious injury, but I'm kinda ticked that I won't get my speedwork in for the week because of my stupidity a few nights ago. Tongue k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

t_runner

I woke up this AM with a similar dilemma.. was planning on a long run, but an old arch inflammation is acting up. I did something stupid also, I have slacked on my physical therapy strengthening/stretching exercises, and decided that I CAN mix soccer with my running. Who knows, maybe I could if I had kept up the exercises. When faced with the possibility of injury, I always take it easy. I will probably try 3-6 easy instead of the 12 I was aiming for, but I feel prepared to quit at any point if the pain gets worse. If you start out though on your easy 45, and everything feels awesome after a mile or so, pick it up! But if you plan to go easy then you won't be disappointed. That's what I always think...
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you start out though on your easy 45, and everything feels awesome after a mile or so, pick it up! But if you plan to go easy then you won't be disappointed. That's what I always think...
        I think that's probably what I will end up doing. I'm so annoyed with myself, though. What kind of dumbass tries to do a tempo run the day after a 12 miler...? Tongue What sort of arch issues are you dealing with? All Spring I battled what I believe was some sort of tendonitis on the outside of my right arch. It was REALLY annoying...painful, but not enough to really sideline me. What eventually healed it was putting insoles with more arch support in my shoes. I still feel a mild twinge every so often, but it seems 90%+ gone, now. k

~ Sarah Kay

What kind of dumbass tries to do a tempo run the day after a 12 miler...? Tongue k
          ME Big grin Hope you have a GREAT run no matter what you choose!! Good luck.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

t_runner

I think that's probably what I will end up doing. I'm so annoyed with myself, though. What kind of dumbass tries to do a tempo run the day after a 12 miler...? Tongue
            We've all been there, I'm quite sure! I feel pretty dumb too, for ignoring what my doc and Phys therapist told me... I should trust this doc, he runs a 2:38 marathon!
            What sort of arch issues are you dealing with?
            The doctor called it post tibular tendonitis. It is an aching pain on the inside of my arch, most prominent in my right foot, but when it gets bad enough, I can feel it in my left. The aching gets pretty intense, and it ends up hurting even when I am walking around. I partially defeated it back in February/March, at least enough to run a marathon in May, here's what I did: Arch support in all shoes, running, work, walking around the house. I have flat feet, and this helps a lot. Physical Therapy exercises to stretch out the calf, it is apparently very tight. Also to strengthen the feet and ankles, and even hips to just stabilize my running form throughout. Ice after running on the painful spot. Then this summer, I decided I would go back to two of my favorite non-running sports.. sand volleyball and soccer. Sand volleyball is bad because you're always running around on the sand with bare feet, no arch support, and then soccer I think is bad because of all the stopping, starting, quickly changing directions that I am not used to as a runner. And I also decided (well I mostly just got lazy, didn't consciously decide) to quit doing my exercises. After a week of soccer Wed night, a 6 mile run Thurs that turned into a 2.5 mile run due to pain, and then a night of playing 2's in sand volleyball last night, I still think I am going to be able to turn in 12 miles? Yikes. The summer has finally caught up to me I believe. Just walking around the house, this is hurting me enough I am thinking of not running at all today. Bummer, I am hoping to run a 2 person relay of the Akron Marathon with a speedy friend of mine, and we could place well if I would be on top of my training! Well good luck with your run and keeping away any nasty injuries!
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Arch support in all shoes, running, work, walking around the house. I have flat feet, and this helps a lot. Physical Therapy exercises to stretch out the calf, it is apparently very tight. Also to strengthen the feet and ankles, and even hips to just stabilize my running form throughout.
              What you have sounds VERY similar to what I've had, and with similar causes--just on the other side of the arch. I also have the flat feet (not completely so, but my arch is about midway between average and flat), tight calves. Wearing knock-off Birkenstocks in the house also helped me. Amazing what shoes with no support will do. We went to a wedding reception a couple of weeks ago that had me wearing some sort of dressy leather flip-flops with no arch support. I did hardly any walking around, but I could feel the twinges. I hope you are soon able to get that fully healed--though it would really stink if you had to give up soccer. That's such great cross training for running! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Meh...that sucked. No way was I gonna be able to do any sort of speedwork. Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

t_runner

Meh...that sucked. No way was I gonna be able to do any sort of speedwork.
                  Did you hurt? Or just one of those crappy days? Hopefully a quick recovery for you for either! I did not run at all yesterday, and I am glad to see my foot is feeling better today. I have a 5K wager with my younger brother tomorrow.. 2 beers is riding on me beating him! I might be able to push through some pain for that.
                    nothing like beer to provide a good incentive Smile Kirsten - i hope you are feeling better now. if not then a couple of days complete rest might be the answer. sometimes we can just keep on aggravating little niggles until they flare up and become big ones.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, it hurt...not any sort of serious hurt, but that stiff soreness sort of all over that makes one run really slow. That sort of 4-miles-feels-longer-than-12 kind of discomfort. I already feel better today. Just did upper body weight workout today and tomorrow is a complete rest day. Tues. will also be a short run, so by my long run on Weds. I should be in great shape. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay