My disgusting story! (Read 609 times)

Coach

I live in Wyoming in the middle of a sage brush desert. Near my home is an old abandoned mine road that is about 20 miles long. It is my favorite place to run. All there is out there is sage brush and rocks but it is quiet and in my mind beautiful. I've never seen another person out there. I don't like out-and-back runs for some strange reason, so when I need a long run my wife will drive me out on this road and drop me off. As we are driving out I'll drop two or three gatorade bottles with my special drink concoction of half gatorade and half pureed (sp?) peaches with extra salt added. Also when driving out I'll pick up the old bottles from the last run. I usually stash the bottles at the base of a fence post every 5 or 6 miles. Over the weekend, I did a 14 miler and at about mile 8 I saw one of my bottles and stopped for a drink. It was a hot afternoon and I really needed the liquid. I opened the bottle and really started to guzzle it down. I drank most of a cup of the fluid before I realized there was more solid in my mix than normal. I spit out as much of it as I could when I realized there was a thick layer of mold mixed in. What I think happened was on another run, probably more than a year ago I had missed one of my bottles and it had sat for a long time in the sun making a really nasty mixure of peach - mold moonshine. I swallowed a whole bunch of it. When I came to my senses and did the math I realized that the fresh bottle I dropped was still two miles away, so for about 17 minutes I spit and gagged until I was able to wash my mouth out. I guess the real meaning of this story is that I was punished for "littering" by leaving liquid stashes out in the desert. I need to keep better track next time. I thought by telling this story that I could help somebody from making the same mistake.
    My Blog: http://jbcoaching.blogspot.com/ Marathons run: S.F., Boston, St. George, M. of Aviation, Salt Lake City Ultra's run: Big Horn, Squaw Peak, Lean Horse,
    rlemert

I feel for you, but yours is not the worst (best?) Wyoming drink story I've ever come across. There's a book that's been out for several years now called "The Nine Nations of North America". The chapter on "The Empty Quarter" (essentially most of the 'desert' west) begins with a little anecdote set in Rock Springs. Seems this lady arrived at her doctor's office with an uncontrollable case of the giggles. She eventually was able to explain why. It seems she was coming in for a pregnancy test. She didn't have a good 'specimen' container, so she found an old whiskey bottle, rinsed it out real well, and used it. On her way in to the doctor's office she stopped at a quick store for some breakfast. While she was in the store, someone stole the whiskey bottle!