First 50 mile week! (Read 375 times)

Right on Hereford...

Ok, I just hit a new personal milestone in running...over 50 miles in one week. It feels pretty good! Legs are feeling stronger. I've got some hip and knee issues, but they seem to be improving (rather than getting worse) as I add mileage. I'm getting ready for the Chicago Half Marathon September 14. Anyone else here running it? I just ran a 15k race yesterday morning (my first race at that distance) and averaged 6:33 per mile. Hoping to beat that pace at Chicago...it may be asking a lot, but we'll see!
      Congratulations, on both the mileage and the 15k. Good luck for Chicago. John
      Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.

Ham & Egger

Be patient w/ the marathon goals this go around--it's a whole nother beast and first timers (myself to be included among the ranks hopefully) don't get "equal" perfomances.
        www.tuscaloosarunner.blogspot.com

Right on Hereford...

Be patient w/ the marathon goals this go around--it's a whole nother beast and first timers (myself to be included among the ranks hopefully) don't get "equal" perfomances.
          Ah, but it's the half (not full) that I'm doing in 4 weeks! I think a 15k can be a pretty good predictor for the half marathon, don't you? Probably better than using a half to predict marathon performance, anyway (which still isn't bad, assuming you've trained properly). My somewhat ridiculous goal is sub-1:25, which would require 6:29 pace. Yesterday's 15k performance is "equivalent" to a half marathon time of 1:27:54. That's why my goal is pretty ridiculous! But there are several things that I think will help me get close. Compared to yesterday's 15k, the Chicago Half is 5,000 feet lower in elevation, is much flatter, and it's on pavement. We'll see if those factors translate into a chart-beating performance in real life... But I hear you on the race predictor charts and their inadequacies at predicting marathon performances! It is indeed a different beast. I actually have run one marathon a couple years ago. That was when I first started running regularly, and my marathon time ended up being much slower than my 10k PR would have predicted at the time.
          Congratulations, on both the mileage and the 15k. Good luck for Chicago. John
          Thanks, John! By the way, I've been impressed with your running lately! I remember you from the coolrunning sub-40 thread last year...