Currently wear Brooks Adrenaline 8 - need winter shoes (Read 538 times)

My feet are freezing with the great ventilation of the Brooks Adrenaline 8 in winter. Any suggestions for a road shoe that's not so heavy I'll feel like I'm wearing work boots but just a bit more weatherproof than what I have? thanks for any ideas.

xor

In your specific case, yes. Assuming you like the Adrenalines. Brooks makes a special version of that shoe called the "Adrenaline ASR". It's sort of a trail shoe, but it isn't big and chunky. I'd never wear it on super technical trails. What it really is, I believe, is an Adrenaline with more of a water-repellent upper. It still breathes, but it blocks incoming stuff a bit more.

I do like the Adrenalines. Or, perhaps, I should say, I think I do. I've worn them happily for 8 months. Up until about a month ago, I was always running 30mpw and everything was fine. When I did my HM in October, I started to up my miles a bit and now for some reason I'm finding that I have a problem with my left foot. The inside arch on my left foot is becoming problematic. I think I might be rolling it slightly when I run. I initially thought that I had hurt it by running on the side of the road toward traffic and that the cant of the road was causing me to overcompensate with that foot. Does that make sense? In any event, I'm now finding that road or bike trail - doesn't matter which - after a long(ish) run for me of like 10 miles, my arch is really sensitive to the touch. Maybe I'll try the adrenalines that you are suggesting and just put some kind of arch support in them. In any event, thanks for the suggestion. I had seen these shoes on the brooks website but I was concerned that they'd be heavy.

I am currently alternating between the Adrenaline 8's and some Nike Structure Triax 11+'s. The Nike's have a bit more cushion/stability, I think, but the fit in both feels good to me. I'm considering getting the Triax GTX, which is similar to what srlopez mentions as far as being all-weather. Their uppers are gore-tex, and allow less air/wetness in. Maybe another option for you to try on, if you have a local shoe store.