Marathon Pacing (Read 833 times)

Howdy! I'm an avid marathon runner but always struggle with pacing. I tend to start too fast. I begin training in July for a fall marathon. Any fellow marathoners with some pacing tips to share on the issue would be greatly appreciated!!
    jeffdonahue

Pick a marathon with pace teams. They are supposed to run relatively even miles for the entire race, so you could then just keep with them. Or. Buy yourself a Garmin or Nike+ pod thingee to keep your pace for you. Then you can check yourself against it to make sure you are not going out too fast.
      mikeymike

Or. Go out slower.

Runners run

thanks Jeff! I've tried the pacing teams and they are hit or miss. Sometimes they go out really fast trying to bank some time to cover themselves and make sure they get in on the marked time. Been thinking about the GPS thing... think I'm gonna try that. Much appreciated.
            Hey Jeff, just saw you have 3 kids. I do as well. 16, 13, 7. Never dull. Definitely keep you running! LOL!
              What mikeymike said. My experience after 20 marathons? You will always run a better marathon if you start slow, and plan for a negative split. Ever wear a pace band? It can help reel you in at the start, particularly when you feel as if the crowd is leaving you behind and want to keep up. And don't worry about how good you may feel at the start. If you feel good at the end, that's when you can pick it up. You can't 'bank' minutes. Never works. It's like getting an advance on a credit card. You've got to pay it back later with interest. Same thing with the 'minutes' you borrow up front on a marathon. My running partner and I train together every day. Same course, pretty much the same pace, etc. Every time we run a maraton, he starts too fast. Every time we run a marathon, he crashes and burns. A marathon, as I'm sure you have discovered, is a race of patience. Think slow, slow, slow, slow, fast.
              My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                Thanks man! It's a simple fix, just hard making myself do it. But you're right. Slow er down! Thanks.
                  I have only run 1 but here was my experience. I ran with my hr monitor. I know from running with it a short time that any time I go over 150 I am definitely approaching a pace I cannot sustain without my legs becoming lead... so I figured that point was around 156... so I attemped to try to keep my HR at about 150 and not let it climb... I did a good job of that from mile 4-16... let it jump a bit from 17-21 and paid for it in mile 22... I ran the second half of the marathon 7 seconds faster than the first half. I would say my pacing was about as good as I could do. For me I kept trending faster and the HR monitor was a good governor to tell me when to dial it back a bit. It also was a good reality check for when I thought things were getting tough... sometimes my HR had drifted up ... other times it had drifted down... I think I could have done the race without it but I think I would have not held such a consitent pace and I would have either not kept up with my pace or gone to fast and crashed...
                    Never thought about the heart monitor helping with pacing, but good idea. Good info. Thanks man!
                    Scout7

Practice, practice, practice. Long runs help with this. The more you run, the better your sense of pace will be, the better idea you'll get as to how to pace it.

The Greatest of All Time

Scout??? Is that really you?
                        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                        Scout7

Scout??? Is that really you?
                          No. I'm a figment of my imagination.
                            Hit or miss? Clearly, you've never run a marathon in one of MY pacing groups!! Big grin Print out a pace band, hook up with a pace leader if your marathon offers one, use a Garmin or just pay very close attention to your early miles. Plan your race and race your plan - no changing from the planned pace until at least mile 16 or 18. When you bank time early, you put in a few seconds per mile but when you crash from going out too hard you lose minutes per mile late in the race. It ain't worth it - trust me, I know this! Not to toot the Clif Bar Pace Team's horn too much, but we're pretty good with lots of experience. Check out our schedule. http://www.clifbar.com/play/pace_team