Just another reminder....use sunblock! (Read 1055 times)

I had a minor surgical procedure earlier this week to remove some skin cancer. Thankfully, it was basal cell, so not as aggressive as other forms. Now I'll be monitored every six months forever, I was told. Anyway, this was likely the result of some pretty bad sunburns as a kid, and probably all that laying out as a teenager with zero-SPF tanning oil. Use sunblock, folks!
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Good reminder! I really like Neutrogena's Sport Sunscreen.  Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Feeling the growl again

Note that in the near future, labels on sunblocks will be updated to better reflect their protection.  Look for the "broad spectrum" label to make sure whatever you use blocks both UV-A and UV-B.  A lot of people don't realize that many sunblocks do not block the wavelengths linked to melanoma!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Note that in the near future, labels on sunblocks will be updated to better reflect their protection.  Look for the "broad spectrum" label to make sure whatever you use blocks both UV-A and UV-B.  A lot of people don't realize that many sunblocks do not block the wavelengths linked to melanoma!

I just learned this myself at the Dr's this week.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I had a minor surgical procedure earlier this week to remove some skin cancer. Thankfully, it was basal cell, so not as aggressive as other forms. Now I'll be monitored every six months forever, I was told. Anyway, this was likely the result of some pretty bad sunburns as a kid, and probably all that laying out as a teenager with zero-SPF tanning oil. Use sunblock, folks!

Great reminder.  It's been a couple of years since I first spotted a suspicious mole on DH's forearm.  Our PCP didn't think it looked particularly questionable (it was regular, round), but it appeared suddenly, so it got my attention.

It was a melanoma.  He ended up having a chunk of skin removed and a lymph node.  Had I not trusted my instincts there is a strong chance that I'd be a widow today.

We still have friends who go out of their way to get tan and talk about it in front of us.  I have to wonder if these people are mentally incompetent.  There is NO such thing as a healthy tan.  And I really like getting carded at 39.  There are a lot of women my age (and younger) who are spending $$ on anti-wrinkle products and dealing with age spots.  My skin still looks pretty good.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wing

Joggaholic

Thanks for the info! I didn't know that.

Great reminder.  It's been a couple of years since I first spotted a suspicious mole on DH's forearm.  Our PCP didn't think it looked particularly questionable (it was regular, round), but it appeared suddenly, so it got my attention.

It was a melanoma.  He ended up having a chunk of skin removed and a lymph node.  Had I not trusted my instincts there is a strong chance that I'd be a widow today.

We still have friends who go out of their way to get tan and talk about it in front of us.  I have to wonder if these people are mentally incompetent.  There is NO such thing as a healthy tan.  And I really like getting carded at 39.  There are a lot of women my age (and younger) who are spending $$ on anti-wrinkle products and dealing with age spots.  My skin still looks pretty good.

Scary stuff, Zoomy. Good thing you knew what to look for!
                bhearn

This is where magic marker was for Boston '08. My inverse-sunburn tattoo was still legible two years later.

Two years--wow! And I had no idea that magic marker could be used as sunscreen. Good to know.

bhearn

I had no idea that magic marker could be used as sunscreen. Good to know.

Yes, but be sure to get the UV-A / UV-B -resistant magic marker.

Yes, but be sure to get the UV-A / UV-B -resistant magic marker.

You're talking about a "broad spectrum" magic marker, right?
                        Cntrygal

I find that sunblock made for kids or babies work the best for me.  I burn VERY easily and adult sunblock, no matter how "strong" or great it is works for me. 

bhearn

I used spray-on 100 power from CVS at Boston this year (89 degrees), and didn't get burned.

Feeling the growl again

This is where magic marker was for Boston '08. My inverse-sunburn tattoo was still legible two years later.

In HS a guy I knew thought he'd be cool and impress some girls by letting them draw a smiley face on his back with sunscreen and then deliberately burn around it.  It wasn't so funny when it reappeared each summer for a couple years....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Ostrich runner

Use vitamin D supplements with your sunblock.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum