Should I cancel the last of 3 twenty milers before taper? (Read 115 times)

Rusk Runner

Okay guys, here is where I am at and I am asking for advice.

The weather has taken a turn for the worst and sleet has started to collect on the streets.  Weather report is calling for up to 4 inches of snow.  I am wondering if this is Gods way of telling me to listen to my body, as I really do not think I should run today.

I have been having some issues with my lower leg ( calf and shin ) and I was going to start seriously icing, rolling, etc. after today's scheduled 20 miler.  This would have been my last of 3 20 mile runs, and I ran the last two over 21 miles.  Completion of today's run would have officially kicked off my 3 week taper period.

I am thinking that skipping the last 20 today and then doing all of my runs through the week at recovery pace would be a better idea.  I have a 16 mile run scheduled for next Sunday which I will do on a chip trail in Pensacola which would reduce the pounding on my legs and would still qualify for another long run.

I have executed Pfitz 18/55 pretty well to the letter this time through with only one or two missed runs.  Its my feeling that I can miss today and still go after my goal pace.

What do  you guys think?

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Don't mix up different issues. Whether or not it's a good idea for you to run because you have issues with injury is a separate question from that of the weather report.

If you feel that you're injured and that doing a long run may well exacerbate the problem then skip it, or set out gently and get ready to bail out if things are getting worse. One training run is not going to make very much difference to your fitness on the day. On the other hand an injury can make a big difference.

SMART Approach

I am thinking that skipping the last 20 today and then doing all of my runs through the week at recovery pace would be a better idea.  I have a 16 mile run scheduled for next Sunday which I will do on a chip trail in Pensacola which would reduce the pounding on my legs and would still qualify for another long run.

I have executed Pfitz 18/55 pretty well to the letter this time through with only one or two missed runs.  Its my feeling that I can miss today and still go after my goal pace.

What do  you guys think?

Yes, I totally agree!!!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Rusk Runner

LOL.

PR100 - well said.  You know those people that can sometimes become a slave to their log?  I tend to be one of those people.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!