Second marathon , second thoughts. (Read 193 times)

Chris Pinney

Is this normal? Last year I was so relaxed despite it being my first year back since high school. Last year I was only averaging 25 mpw and had some nagging injuries. I managed to run a six minute positive split to a    3:48 which I was happy with.

This year,however is quite different. I have averaged 35 mpw for the last six months or so and been injury free. That being said,I am more nervous this year despite being more prepared. I ran a 1:38:55 at a half that I thought was a pretty tough course in late may.

The marathon is late October  (MCM). I guess I am looking for some reassurance/MP ranges based on my last half. Perhaps ignorance was bliss.

I thank you all in advance for any advice. I was unable to register in time for the race a couple months ago,my wife put on facebook I was looking for a bib and now it looks like I have one.

I am also registered for a trail half on sept 15 which I now plan on training through...What have I done?haha

You have nothing to worry about.  You seem extremely talented.  If you average 25 miles per week in training and then ran a 26.2 mile race in 3:48 that is excellent.  This year you are averaging 35 mpw and running a 1:38 half on a tough course that is very good.  I can only imaging how much better you would be with a bit more work.  I am sure you have nothing to worry about.

joescott

Rule of thumb HMx2 + 10 min = 3:28.  You've been once through the drill before, so you're not a total marathon noob.  I infer that you ran competitively in HS.  Now 35 mpw.  You're golden, and probably 3:28 is completely reasonable.  Stay health and rock it!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

You were probably relaxed the first time because you were happy just to finish. You are probably more nervous now because your expectations are higher. But your training is better and you have an extra year of accumulated miles, so you will do great.

Joe: do you think the 3:28 may be an aggressive target? That is what McMillan spits out, but that calculation assumes higher mpw over a longer period of time. Although we don't have his training log or overall running history.

Dave

Chris Pinney

Thanks for the words everyone . Think I will add 30 secs per mile to my half pace which would be 8:08 and just go from there. Will also try to build mileage to 50 before taper. My goal is to bq in 2 years when I turn 40 and the time eases to 3:20.

With higher miles you are likely a bit more fatigued, hence the second thoughts? You will be better trained, no need to second guess.

joescott

Joe: do you think the 3:28 may be an aggressive target? That is what McMillan spits out, but that calculation assumes higher mpw over a longer period of time. Although we don't have his training log or overall running history.

I didn't check McMillan on this, but indeed McMillan is always too fast (and Daniels WAY too fast) for me.  Yeah, it could be a little too aggressive.  3:33-ish would definitely be safer, of course, but OTOH, I don't think 3:28 would be crazy for Chris based on the little we know about him.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Resident Historian

Off 35mpw and the half time, 3:28 is aggressive - but with good continued training you should handily beat your 1st time round.

Without any other info, beating 3:40 a good target.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

It is waaaay too early to stress your time for the race.  Stress negatively impacts training...it's a cycle, don't do it.  Relax, enjoy the ride.  Even if you have a crappy race and don't come anywhere near your times, you're still improving and making strides (pun inadvertant) towards bigger gains.

**Ask me about streaking**

For the OP, for reference - I just did my 2nd last month.

My first marathon was also only on ~25mpw, and was a 4:16 with a painful 16 min positive split.

For the 2nd: weekly mileage was in the 40's, with the last 4 weeks before taper all >50. However I only turned a 1:48 HM (8 weeks prior) into a 4:06, maybe slower than might have been expected. Granted mine was somewhat the opposite of yours -- a relatively easy April HM (cool, flat) and a fairly tough June full (warm, hilly). Still, a 10 min improvement from the first, all of it coming in the 2nd half of the race. And significant improvement in recovery (um, until my injury a couple weeks later that I am still dealing with, but I think not related).

So you will certainly do much better, just can be hard to predict how much. There are so many factors going into marathon performance. You are clearly ahead of where I was based on your first one; maybe more running history (I didn't have much), maybe you are 10 years younger.

Dave