How to get re-motivated? (Read 683 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Man, ever since my awful 10k race in the stifling heat and 10 days off (thanks to awful heat-wave and subsequent vacation) I am almost dreading running tonite. I'm really nervous that it's going to be painful and that I will feel totally out-of-condition. Is this normal? I wanted to do 80 minutes, tonite, but I think I will just stick to an hour and save a longer run for this weekend. I hope I will be back in the swing of things by then. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Zoomy! Welcome back! Smile Sounds like you need a fun run tonight to remind you of what you liked about running. Pick somewhere shady, bring some music, leave the watch at home, and just go for a nice little easy jog on a route you know would take you normally around half the time you'd planned originally. If you want, try walk/jogging for a change - (okay, you'll want to bring the watch for this) - jog for 4 minutes, walk for 1 minute, and repeat. That'll give your body a chance to get back into running in a nice and easy way. Do something nice for yourself! Enjoy your running! You're earning it by getting back in there in spite of a bump in the road. Okay, there were two bumps in the road. But it's still a good road! I think once you get a couple of runs going again it won't seem so bad. Try not to overdo it so that you won't be sore. And after you finish your run tonight, do something special. Maybe DH would be willing to give a footrub to the hard-working athlete in his life? (After shower, of course! LOL!) I'll be happy to check up on you and make sure you logged some road-time if you think it'll help!

Roads were made for journeys...

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Kisten, Instead of "want do 80 minutes tonight", how about just going for an easy relaxed run? Heck, don't even bring your stop watch. Maybe you're experiencing a low after your race. It happens to many runners after a marathon, and for sure it happens at other distances too. Just relax and slowly ease yourself back into the routine.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks guys, I think you're right. And I agree that 1-2 enjoyable runs should help me get back into that positive mindset. I did miss my runs, but at the same time welcomed the break. I think my knees appreciated it, too. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

bas

When I find running hard, I try to concentrate on how easy it is. How I almost don't touch the ground. How I relax every muscle and still move. Of course these things are not strictly true, but that is not the important thing Wink I just make myself believe it and that helps me remember why I love running in the first place. When you do this you also contribute to the battle of runners against the International Conspiracy of Knees that are trying to make the runners give up running. Roll eyes

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When you do this you also contribute to the battle of runners against the International Conspiracy of Knees that are trying to make the runners give up running. Roll eyes
              Those conspirators can bite me. Man, that hour-long run wasn't fun, but I think a lot of that is due to remaining sleep deficit from my long weekend in LA (including too much boozin' and rooming with a couple of chain smokers). When I first set out I had moderate sharp pains in my knees. After a mile or so they eased-up, but I felt really worn out. And I forgot to use my inhaler, beforehand, so the last couple of miles had me struggling a bit to breathe. But I have a feeling that my Friday run won't be so difficult. I will be able to catch up a bit more on sleep in the meantime. I do wish my backordered shoes would get here, though. I kinda wonder if my knee pains would have been a bit lessened with the cushy new footwear... k

~ Sarah Kay

I never think every run is going to be 'euphoric', I try and think one in every 15 runs will be a good run, you know the type of run that makes you just giddy about running. Also if the weather is outside of your comfort zone then slow it down. I think Jeff Galloway says as the heat increases your speed should reduce also. Don't get too discouraged. S
                Finbarr

Chase squirrels on your run. Make it a short 2 mile run, through a park, and while you run your "route" break off it every time you see a squirrel to chase it. It's even more fun if you do it with a friend.