Salt (Read 733 times)

mikeymike

I've been having a hard time staying hydrated lately with all the extra mileage I'm running for marathon training and so I've been trying to make sure I get enough salt. I've been putting salt on things I normally wouldn't and eating things just for their salt content at times. But I got to wondering--how likely is it that someone running 70+ mpw could still be getting too much sodium and what is the downside? I've never been one to measure things or count calories or nutrients, generally I just eat the way my grandmother taught me and pay attention to the cravings. So I would have no idea how much sodium is in my diet or if I'm getting too much or too little or just the right amount. I've never had any problem with high blood pressure. Is that really the only risk of too much sodium? Also, while googling this topic over lunch with added salt, I found THIS ARTICLE that says as many as 1/3 of marathoners over hydrate. I thought it was interesting.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sodium does not cause hypertension. This is a myth. In some people, it increases the severity of hypertension. And yes, many many people overhydrate and this can be very dangerous.
      mikeymike

Cool. So is there such a thing as too much sodium?

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Unless you have broken kidneys, heart failure or certain types of hypertension, no. Problems with high blood sodium come from inadequate fluid (i.e., total body dehydration). And as you pointed out, you are likely sweating out a ton of sodium anyway. Make sure to get your other electrolytes as well.
          Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Yes. What the good doctor said. I remember from my cell biology class that you'll need to up your potassium intake as well to maintain those sodium/potassium pumps in your cells.
            va

You may need more than high school biology to understand this article: How should a person replace electrolytes and fluids during endurance efforts?. ...Angiotensin II then stimulates the adrenal cortex to secrete 5.aldosterone, which increases Na+ reabsorption in the distal and collecting tubules by adding more Na+-K+-ATPase pumps to the basolateral membranes...

Imminent Catastrophe

I've used Succeed S-caps during particularly long/hot runs where I thought it might be a factor. They're pretty popular among ultrarunners. trivia question: where is this from? "These pretzels are making me thirsty!"

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

mikeymike

Seinfeld

Runners run

Jeffrey

I've been using these on long runs.
                    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I too have used Succeed tablets with much success. I'm a salty runner (is that equivalent to a sea dog?) and by the time I'm done with my long runs, my arms and face would be caked with salt. During marathons, I would take the salt tablets every 45 minutes and that tend to ward off cramps. Without them, I'd be locked up by mile 17 or so. It contains both sodium and potassium chloride, which is exactly what your body needs.

Dog-Love

Now you'll know how hard that little fresh water trout has it trying to maintain his sodium levels. His little Sodium Potassium pumps are working really hard and I bet he wishes he could take a supplement!
                        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                        mikeymike

Hmm. I might try one of those succeed tabs on a long hot run just to see if it helps. Though my biggest issue has not been durning long runs runs (except Boston '04 but that wasn't normal) but between runs, especially on days when I'm doing doubles and/or running first thing in the morning. Thanks all.

Runners run

va

Since my last half marathon, on a hot day, with salt crystals forming on my shirt, and cramping afterwards, I've been taking Endurolytes. No more cramping.

Imminent Catastrophe

Just be aware, there's a huge difference in the amount of sodium between Succeed s-caps and Endurolytes: S-caps: 341 mg Na, 21mg K Endurolytes: 40mg Na, 25mg K. Know your dosage!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

va

Which is better, and why? Thoughts?