Goal 6 minute mile (Read 6319 times)

I am usually in the sub 20 forum. I broke 20 minutes for a 5k back in 2008 and the desire to get there is not so great as I know I have to put in a lot of miles and work to get there. I did run a 21:30s effort back in April or May this year but then went to Disney World and my training has fallen off a cliff.

So I needed something else to motivate me to get faster. I thought sub 6 by Halloween is a good challenge.

So on August 1st I ran a mile in 8:11 just to get a starting point.

On August 5 I ran a 6:57.

On August 8 I ran a 6:37.

It is much easier to run a mile hard and recover then a 5k.

My next goal will be sub 6:30 in about a week's time.

I figure if I can go sub 6 I will be much closer to sub 20 than I am now.

Anyone else wish to join me on the quest to break 6?

The wisdom of arbitrary time/deadline goals aside, the real question is, what are you doing to acheive your new goal?

Are you just going out every couple of days to run a trial to see if you got magically faster? Or do you have a plan, or some training or something?

The process is more interesting than whether or not you actually acheive the goal.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
      jeffdonahue

Tough to say cause he doesnt have his runs logged on RA, but I would guess a lot of sets of fast 200-400s

Depends on your training and background.  If you have some speed and are only running 20 miles per week and able to run 20-21 for 5K upping your mileage to 40-50 per week in a well rounded program with some endurance intervals (200s, 400s, maybe 600's) might be enough to take you under 6 (and down into the 19's for 5K).  If you are coming off a high mileage base then its tougher, then you have to develop speed which takes a lot longer.  If you are already training optimally then its the longest solution - you have to develop in general to reach that level of fitness.

What do your times look like for 400m?  800m?  If you are able to run say <75 for 400m and 2:40-2:45 for 800m  then its an easier fix with some endurance work than it would be if you cannot break 90 for 400m or 3:00 for 800m and need more raw speed.

Running a mile time trial every few days isn't the best solution even though that's basically what a lot of us had to do in high school!

You might end up having to put in a lot of work, but that puts you among the 99% of people that have to do that to reach some goal. 

The wisdom of arbitrary time/deadline goals aside, the real question is, what are you doing to acheive your new goal?

Are you just going out every couple of days to run a trial to see if you got magically faster? Or do you have a plan, or some training or something?

The process is more interesting than whether or not you actually acheive the goal.

I think 6 minutes is diiifult but it is no sub 20 for the 5k. I plan to run about 10-20 miles per week until I break sub 6.

As my times keep falling I will do more 400 meter intervals. I think I can get down to 6:20 without too much trouble.

The last 20 seconds might be tough.

I have run 385 miles this year albeit 300 before the end of April.

So I was quite surprised and perhaps a little giddy to see that 6:37 didn't take much more than a week to run.

I am giving myself till Halloween to do this but if I really trained I think I could do this in a month.

Once I put the goal on here though I know I have to train to make it.

Depends on your training and background.  If you have some speed and are only running 20 miles per week and able to run 20-21 for 5K upping your mileage to 40-50 per week in a well rounded program with some endurance intervals (200s, 400s, maybe 600's) might be enough to take you under 6 (and down into the 19's for 5K).  If you are coming off a high mileage base then its tougher, then you have to develop speed which takes a lot longer.  If you are already training optimally then its the longest solution - you have to develop in general to reach that level of fitness.

What do your times look like for 400m?  800m?  If you are able to run say <75 for 400m and 2:40-2:45 for 800m  then its an easier fix with some endurance work than it would be if you cannot break 90 for 400m or 3:00 for 800m and need more raw speed.

Running a mile time trial every few days isn't the best solution even though that's basically what a lot of us had to do in high school!

You might end up having to put in a lot of work, but that puts you among the 99% of people that have to do that to reach some goal. 

I ran about 20 miles in each month May, June and JJuly.

If I tried to run a 5k right now I wold be lucky to break 23.

If I had to guess at 400 (since I haven't run one in awhile) I would say I could run it in about 80 and a 800 in around 2:50.

I will try to get some time trials at those efforts in once I get a chance.

a little giddy to see that 6:37 didn't take much more than a week to run.

Fresh legs maybe?

I too think I can run around 6:30-6:40 right now on a nice day, but those last 30 seconds might need some tapering and some actual training to run the mile, but it has to wait until I am done with the fall marathon.

MoBramExam

M'Flyer,

If you were in shape, I think you have the ability to run a mile in 5:30 to 5:45.  With proper training, 6:00 will come and go before you know it.  I personally think it is harder to run a 20:00 5K than a 6:00 mile.  Just count how many HS track kids you pass between 1.25 and 2.00 miles into many 5K road races.

Yes, it definitely is MUCH easier to run 6:00 than 20:00. 20 is roughly equivalent to 5:45 for the mile, and I wouldn't be suprised to see HS kids running 5:30-5:45 and only being around 20 for the 5K.

I bet you hit your goal before you know it having been in 20 minute shape before.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

My mile time is getting slower and slower lately, as I am getting older and older. Undecided

The 6:00 mile is hopefully the 1st step.

I would like to get to sub 20 shape for the 5k and I think you need to run a mile in around 5:48 to be in that timezone.

I do have a little more speed than I originally thought.

At age 38 I am not dead yet. Surprised to see my legs still work.

My best mile ever was 5:50 though that was back in high school. I probably could have beat that had I ran it in the last few years when I was in shape. If I can beat 6 in the mile I will definately try to break 5:50. But I am getting carried away. First things first. Sub 6 by Halloween seems like I am giving myself plenty of time.

I will try to get my attempts on video so I can share if I get closer.

“I plan to run about 10-20 miles per week until I break sub 6. As my times keep falling I will do more 400 meter intervals.”

Okay. Don’t take this the wrong way, but that doesn’t sound like much of a plan. I mean, basically 10-20 miles a week is sort of a bare minimum running “schedule” (believe me, I know, I spent most of last year running 10-20 miles a week). It sort of sounds like, “I will do a little running, and naturally my mile time will fall”, which may well be true but is sort of a “so what” kind of plan. If it gets you motivated to run again, then it’s a good thing, but the sub 6 seems like more of a natural consequence of starting to run again than a stretch achievement to me (ie. I think if you put a more structured, more aggressive – mileage wise - plan together, you could run much faster than a 6 minute mile).

I’m not trying to write this to be discouraging. Opposite. I think it’s great that you’re back, have a goal and are putting yourself out there. Just stuff to think about. But not overthink about. Whatever is fun and gets you running. Good luck.

I re-read the above, and it sounds kind of prick-ish. I'll leave it though. You acknowledge that 6 is a first step, and that's good. Go get 'em.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

SMART Approach

Michigan,  I know you like to have goals and love to do time trials. I will also politely second what H2 says above. The mile event or race is over 80% aerobic. 

Balancing aerobic vs. anaerobic work percentages

Distance   Gastin Aerobic/Anaerobic Ratio
                            Marathon   97.5/2.5
                            10K   90/10
                            5K   84/16
                            1500m/mile   84/16
                            800m   66/34
                            400m   43/57

Here is Tinman's chart by race "time"

http://206.214.217.133/articles/taacc.pdf

The mile "is not" primarily anaerobic. Knowing you for a few years, I know you have the leg speed and have natural speed to easily run under a 6 min mile. The limiting factor is "aerobic" work, not anaerobic work. Certainly you need anaerobic work mixed in but not as much as you think if low miles. As you stated yourself previously, when you were in sub 20 min shape, you could probably run sub 6 min. Of course you could and you were doing more than 30 miles per week. It is great to have goals, but I wish you would get this goal by running  more, STAYING HEALTHY and building some fitness so you also can jump in some 5Ks, 10ks, halfs and have fun with those also. 10-20 miles of speed work is a recipe for getting hurt and not doing a heck of a lot to build your aerobic foundation which is what is the limiting factor for you! You can probably get to sub 6 min doing just speed work as a short term training response BUT we already know you can so what is there to prove?  

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Michigan,  I know you like to have goals and love to do time trials. I will also politely second what H2 says above. The mile event or race is over 80% aerobic. 

Balancing aerobic vs. anaerobic work percentages

Distance   Gastin Aerobic/Anaerobic Ratio
                              Marathon   97.5/2.5
                              10K   90/10
                              5K   84/16
                              1500m/mile   84/16
                              800m   66/34
                              400m   43/57

I find it odd that a 5k and mile have same ratio but I don't know jack about such things.  However; I do know that when I first started to run, at the ripe old age of 32, I put in a massive 10 mpw yet could run a sub 6min mile in the first mile of a 5k and then fade to ~20mins.  Not pretty and I was likely using all of that 16% anaerobic quotient @ 150% max heart rate.   Good times.

MF:  so... how often are you planning time trials and hence updates to this thread?  I'm hooked already.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

SMART Approach

Runasics,

I agree, there is an error there on the Gaston chart. I actually like Tinman's better because the aerobic/anaerobic ratio is really more time dependent than distance dependent. Also, there is some room for deviation depending on the current  fitness/condition of the athlete.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com