Goal 6 minute mile (Read 6319 times)

Why is it sideways?

Just looked up a run I've done 3 times in the last month.

305 measured 10.66, 10.57 and 10.59.

Due to the lack of accuracy at each poll, it is just about useless for "real-time" pace (though I doubt you would need that with your level of experience). It is great to be able to just go out and run and not be tied to a set course, or have to spend 20 minutes plotting it out and hoping you remember where you ran. 

MF...sorry for the hijack.

I enjoy it, too. Yeah, the inst. pace is crazy-wild--literally bumping between 9:30 and 3:30 per mile, but I don't need that. Maybe the watches learn to be more accurate through use? I've only done 10 or so runs with mine. About a week ago, I did a 14 or so mile run with a friend who had a Garmin, and he measured a full half mile farther than I did. Meh.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I enjoy it, too. Yeah, the inst. pace is crazy-wild--literally bumping between 9:30 and 3:30 per mile,...

You're getting better (wilder) swings than I get, but I might have adjusted something a long time ago.

But for really great numbers, look at the elevation numbers.

Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to record a 100 foot jump PR on RA.

(Well, ok, you have a different kind than I. Maybe you miss out on the great elevation numbers.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Sorry I have not been posting lately.

My knee has not recovered yet and I ran all of 0.7 miles this month so far.

I figured let it rest until it is good but it is still weak.

Today I was cleaning the basement and found an old knee brace (a cheap non metal type one) I wore years ago.

I put it on and I feel better walking around the house.

I don't know that I should be running though.

I may have to try a 6 minute mile towards the end of October without much training in October.

You know a wild attempt to run 4 straight 90 second laps until I die out on the side of the track after 2 or 3 laps.

We will see. I have never had this much of a problem where I coldn't start running again after 4 days. Now it is a whole week and still scared to do too much.

The knee brace may have saved me since i doubt I have lost much in the last 9 days.

I will have to test it soon. I want to start my winter training on October 20.

xor

>> I may have to try a 6 minute mile towards the end of October without much training in October.

Why do you "have to" try this?

I mean, have at it, and have fun with it.  But "have to?"  And if you do and are successful, what does that say about your goal??

Re:  course distance - should mention I've mapped the runs on a couple sites and they're within .01 or .02 above or below.  I'm not going to sweat 5 or 10 seconds one way or the other.  But if its off by a tenth or a quarter mile then that gets significant...I don't trust the GPS either.

MF - no harm taking time off for a knee.  Better a few days now than a couple months later.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

[GPS] feels more like a toy than a training tool.

+1

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

+1

It's something in between for me.  I use it mainly to run free, but within a particular time constraint. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I enjoy it, too. Yeah, the inst. pace is crazy-wild--literally bumping between 9:30 and 3:30 per mile

You probably already know this, but having the watch set to auto-lap every mile (or km) and using the lap pace, rather than the instantaneous pace is the way to go.  Pace is time/distance, and when your distance is a small number, the GPS error component is large enough to compared to the distance traveled to cause wild flucations.  The lap pace tends to settle out pretty well after about 1/4 mile, which means it's not really useful if you're dumb enough to try to pace quarter repeats with it.

And as for elevation, yeah, it's not so good.  Check out a stationary Garmin measuring elevation while on a couch:

While not as fancy as jog-mowing, my couch does has some serious hills. Here's a HR chart of me laying on the couch when my Garmin was still a shiny new toy.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

It's like groundhog day.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

It's like groundhog day.

Yeah, I finally came out of my hole, didn't get scared away, so you can expect 6 more weeks of me posting about shit that's been covered a million times before.

It's like groundhog day.

Phil? Hey, Phil? Phil! Phil Connors? Phil Connors, I thought that was you!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

I miss this thread.

Is your knee feeling any better MF?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

I miss this thread.

Halloween is comming up.  If no 6 min. mile then MF will turn into a pumpkin. 

xor

I got a rock.

I miss this thread.

I took about 2 weeks off and my knee is good as new.

I ran a mile yesterday to test it out and all seems good.

I doubt I can go sub 6 by Halloween now.

It was on Labor Day that I ran my only outdoor mile on the track in 6:23.

The next day I was running on the sidewalk slowly and my knee hurt when I got home.

My winter training starts up October 20 by tradition so I will be running a few miles over the next couple days so I am ready.

I would like to get in 20 mpw starting this Thursday and ramp it up from there.

But to be safe I think it will be all slow...slow and slower until I get a good base.

This was an idea to break 6 but not a very good one.

I am not built for quick training to speed.

My new goal will be sub 20 in the 5k in the year 2012.

Along the way I will have to break 6 minutes so maybe I will keep this thread alive until I do so but Halloween

is probably too soon to worry about breaking 6.