Goal 6 minute mile (Read 6319 times)

I have little running talents and I couldn't break 6 min for a mile and 21 min for a 5k for several years of low miles ~40/week and lots of speed work. When I just upped my miles a bit, I broke 6 min, first time on the road, just 1 hour after an 8 k race, squeezed in with a 5:59. Then I have been running in the 5:40's, even in the middle of a 90 mile week

Wow, I can't believe it makes that much of a difference.  I am sold.

Have been doing about 40-50 miles lately.  Never broke 20 minutes.  Never attempted a mile race.  

Just did my first marathon in 20 years (3:24) but have another one in 8 weeks.  Will try to slowly get up into the 80 mpw range over the next 4 or 5 weeks and see what it does for my marathon.  Goal is BQ 3:15.

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

And as for elevation, yeah, it's not so good.  Check out a stationary Garmin measuring elevation while on a couch:

Your couch is uneven.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Your couch is uneven.

It could be the satellites being affected by solar flares or bumping into each other up there in space...

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It could be the satellites being affected by solar flares or bumping into each other up there in space...

The ones that are slower need to get past the iceballs before slowing down to drink.

This was an idea to break 6 but not a very good one.

I am not built for quick training to speed.

My new goal will be sub 20 in the 5k in the year 2012.

Along the way I will have to break 6 minutes so maybe I will keep this thread alive until I do so but Halloween

is probably too soon to worry about breaking 6.

Well, I'm glad that you are healthy, and look forward to your reports on sub 20.

Do you plan to follow any sort of plan for that one?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Slow-smooth-fast

Change of plans due to lion king 3d taking priority on sun means I can't race so thought I would go out on an unscheduled run today. Thought i would have a go at this seeing as though I felt good and did first 800m of my run in 3:10. Tbh I only thought of the challenge when I realised I was running fast. Managed claw it back to 6:04 over undulating park trails. So happy with 2:54 for final half. Should be good to go sub 6 if I actually schedule it in

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Well, I'm glad that you are healthy, and look forward to your reports on sub 20.

Do you plan to follow any sort of plan for that one?

My plan is to start out at 20 miles per week and slowly increase until I am around 40 mpw probably around February. Almost all slow.

If I can handle the 40 mile weeks I may go higher but I intend to take my time getting there. No need for speed until racing comes in March.

Change of plans due to lion king 3d taking priority on sun means I can't race so thought I would go out on an unscheduled run today. Thought i would have a go at this seeing as though I felt good and did first 800m of my run in 3:10. Tbh I only thought of the challenge when I realised I was running fast. Managed claw it back to 6:04 over undulating park trails. So happy with 2:54 for final half. Should be good to go sub 6 if I actually schedule it in

Great job Eddy. I remember you from a few years back when you quickly got your times down in the 5k. You seem to be a purer athlete than many of us. Keep up the good work.

Slow-smooth-fast

Great job Eddy. I remember you from a few years back when you quickly got your times down in the 5k. You seem to be a purer athlete than many of us. Keep up the good work.

Thanks. I don't know about that.lol. I try my best. The easy miles are paying off. It's funny as I haven't run 6pace for a mile in a long time and it did feel like quite a long time to hold it. Reflecting on it I think that relaxation was the key - it allowed for smoother and quicker running. I am hoping to get near the mid 5s sometime in the nr future. At the moment I can only really hold this pace for about 600m and my legs feel like they won't go much faster. I am amazed at how people can hold this pace for any distance with an air of nonchalence and make it look so easy.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Slow-smooth-fast

Halloween is tommorow. I just stepped out for a 14 mile. Felt a bit shitty really but threw a few good miles in. Anyhow after 13 miles I thought I would up the pace and again only after 800m of the final mile thought I would up the pace some more and try to go sub 6. Here are my 400m splits. 1: 1:36, 2: 1:33, 3: 1:31, 4: 1:17 5:57 absolutely made up. Wonder how I would do fresh on a track even paced.

You ran a 1:17 quarter after 13. 75 miles Shocked 

I think you need to feel like the master after that one!

Nice job!

Halloween is tommorow. I just stepped out for a 14 mile. Felt a bit shitty really but threw a few good miles in. Anyhow after 13 miles I thought I would up the pace and again only after 800m of the final mile thought I would up the pace some more and try to go sub 6. Here are my 400m splits. 1: 1:36, 2: 1:33, 3: 1:31, 4: 1:17 5:57 absolutely made up. Wonder how I would do fresh on a track even paced.
                        AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Impressively fast closing - both the mile and the last quarter.

Slow-smooth-fast

I was pushing hard over that last quarter, eyeballs out for id say the last 100m. Quite a bit if grunting too! Are you having a go today Michigan? Good luck.

Eddy. I did not try a Halloween mile and used better judgement.

I only ran 6 miles in October trying to heal up the knee.

Last week I finally got my 1st 20 mile week in since April.

I will pretty much stop posting here until I break 6.

My near term goal is to get the base mileage up a little every week or two.

I probably will go back to the sub 20 threads for now.

I was pushing hard over that last quarter, eyeballs out for id say the last 100m. Quite a bit if grunting too! Are you having a go today Michigan? Good luck.

Slow-smooth-fast

Eddy. I did not try a Halloween mile and used better judgement.

I only ran 6 miles in October trying to heal up the knee.

Last week I finally got my 1st 20 mile week in since April.

I will pretty much stop posting here until I break 6.

My near term goal is to get the base mileage up a little every week or two.

I probably will go back to the sub 20 threads for now.

im with you Michigan! I did a 21:19 5k the other day ,after a 7:30 first mile (on my own), so I am shooting for sub 20 in a race too!