Snow types/quality and effect on run (Read 937 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Today I had a great run, even though we got semi dumped-on with snow yesterday. The difference between this snow and other recent (and more typical for this area) snows is that this stuff is sticky, grippy, dense, flat, compacts well, and isn't icy underneath or silky in feel. I had a fantastic 11+ miler that was not too terribly much slower than my dry pavement long, easy runs. A week ago I bailed on my long run after less than 8 miles, 'cause the footing was far too difficult and slick. Today the snow was an entirely different beast, even though there was just as much of it. Today I had not a single "oh shit" moment, but last week I had several in a much shorter distance...same shoes (NB 902s with minimal tread depth), same sort of plowing job. Maybe those folks who don't find snow difficult (or even painful) to run on tend to get this heavy, wet, sticky stuff, rather than the colder, drifting, ice-underneath variety...? If our snow was always like this I'd never have considered ordering Winter specific shoes with removable ice spikes (which should be arriving tomorrow, woot! Smile).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I'm looking forward to the snowmobilers getting out in force, because then all snow becomes compacted and dense and sticky. Cool

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm looking forward to the snowmobilers getting out in force, because then all snow becomes compacted and dense and sticky. Cool
        Yes! We have awesome paved rail trails around here that become the domain of sleds this time of the year. With my regular shoes they'd not often be all that navigable, but I think once I have my spiked shoes that I'm going to have a blast running on those, again--even the parts that are off-limits to snowmobiles and not cleared-off. I should be able to handle those--and they'll be an extra good workout if there's more than a few inches of white stuff. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

I think about you snow runners when I run soft sand. OF course I'm thinking, I'd rather be running in ankle deep soft sand on a sunny beach than snow in Minnesota! Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think about you snow runners when I run soft sand. OF course I'm thinking, I'd rather be running in ankle deep soft sand on a sunny beach than snow in Minnesota! Tongue
            Our typical snow is a LOT like sand (which we have a ton of in these parts, too...Lake MI sand is often referred to as "sugar sand," just like what some oceanic beaches have). It can be very exhausting very fast...you end up using muscles you didn't know you had, particularly in the feet and lower legs--at least that has been my experience. k

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Ewww, no thanks, lol! I would take snow any day. I guess that's why I moved from Texas to Maine, huh?

Ewww, no thanks, lol! I would take snow any day. I guess that's why I moved from Texas to Maine, huh?
                I never lived in Texas, but I visited once (for a marathon) - I did live in Orlando for a while though. Not much like Texas. I'll take Maine over both of those any day of the week. It's the way life should be. Except without the low wages and high taxes. (But don't tell the tourists that.)

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Coach Jeanne

Speculum Wrangler

I love to run when it's cold, but running in the snow and slush leads to wet feet leads to very very cold feet and numb toes. Last winter, I had some success by wearing 2 very thin pairs of socks; in between, I wore one of those long thin plastic bags that my daily newspaper comes in. I had to loosen my laces a bit to accommodate the extra bulk, but never had trouble w/ blisters/etc. So my question for the more-experienced snow runners is: how do YOU keep your feet warm and dry?

Jeanne

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

how do YOU keep your feet warm and dry?
                    Smartwool socks. Year-round. I just wear heavier ones in the Winter. Today I ran through plenty of slush and my feet did get wet, but not waterlogged and they still stayed warm after the initial chill from the wet. k

~ Sarah Kay

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Maybe those folks who don't find snow difficult (or even painful) to run on tend to get this heavy, wet, sticky stuff, rather than the colder, drifting, ice-underneath variety...?
                      Not in Boston. This week it was an inch of solid ice, melted and refrozen into irregular sharp shapes. Of course it changes pretty fast, my most recent run was in deep mud. Smile
                      So my question for the more-experienced snow runners is: how do YOU keep your feet warm and dry?
                      SealSkinz. I used to be fine in regular running shoes because my feet just stay pretty hot. But now that I've switched to very minimalist shoes, the SealSkinz make all the difference.
                      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                      mikeymike

Time to batten down the hatches, New Engladers. Looks like it's gonna be a good'n.

Runners run

Yeah, we're going to get it. Too bad too,because the ice from the last had melted off the sidewalks. Looks like my routes will be confined to the neighborhood & I'll be getting plenty of cross-training shoveling. Be interesting to see the effect the weekend storm is going to have on the Pats game.
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Time to batten down the hatches, New Engladers. Looks like it's gonna be a good'n.
                            And we're finally predicted to get several days with minimal precip...woot! Good thing, since I am driving tomorrow to Chicago and coming back Mon. and really don't want to do that trip with the snow tires on--they are great on snow and ice, but weird and squishy on dry roads (and wear fast, so driving too much with them on the interstate ends up wearing them too fast). k

~ Sarah Kay

geekfarm@centurytel.net

Last weekend we had the kind of snow that balls up and sticks to the bottom of your shoe. Every tenth stride was one of those with a giddy up and a toe stomp to kick the snow off. I like running in the snow but not like that. The worst is the ice.
                              seeEricaRun

Awesome

Not in Boston. This week it was an inch of solid ice, melted and refrozen into irregular sharp shapes. Of course it changes pretty fast, my most recent run was in deep mud. Smile
                                Not in my area! It froze into a giant flat sheet that covered everything. There was NO chance of running on what was, essentially, an ice rink. I would have loved irregular sharp chunks (just look at my husband!). I hit the treadmill once, but quit after 3 miles. Man, do I hate the treadmill. This weather sure makes training a challenge.