San Juan Solstice 50 mile (Read 964 times)

Wasatch Speedgoat

Location: Trails in the San Juan Mountains surrounding Lake City, Colorado Distance: 50 miles Web site: http://www.lakecity50.com/index.htm My photos I took during the race: http://picasaweb.google.com/ultrastevep/2007SanJuanSolstice50Miler Place: 67th out of 155 starters, 122 finishers...3rd age group (55-59) Time: 13:36 Goal was sub 13 and top three in AG. This race is one of the toughest 50 milers I have ever run. Most of the race is above 12,000 feet and a good stretch, about 10 miles) is above or near 13,000 feet on the Continental Divide Trail. This was the first test of my living at 8100' in New Mexico and i feel like i passed...not with flying colors because i did have breathing difficulties on the high stretch. I felt strong on all the climbs and even finished fast and hard on the final downhill and roads leading into town, passing 4 people in the final mile. Stomach held up just fine....all I used for fuel was Hammer Nutrition's Sustained Energy with Endurolyte powder mixed into that. A couple of gels and several Clif blocks just before some of the long climbs, which took hours to get up. All in all a good race, now on to the Hardrock 100 mile in those same mountains in 3 weeks. The interesting thing is I am running not too bad at altitude after living here for a year, but right after Hardrock we're moving back to New Hampshire Shocked Steve

Life is short, play hard!

Congratulations! You placed in your age group which is great and you didn't miss your 13 hour goal by much. Nice photos. Smile My brother dated a girl named Petra back in 1995 - seeing your friend Petra just made me think of her, she was from Holland (I think).

Michelle

Nice job, Steve. Will you take some down time since you have 100 miler in 3 weeks?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Congratulations! You placed in your age group which is great and you didn't miss your 13 hour goal by much. Nice photos. Smile My brother dated a girl named Petra back in 1995 - seeing your friend Petra just made me think of her, she was from Holland (I think).
          MY ex-husband dated a girl named Petra that was from Holland but living in Korea at the time Confused Anyhoooo WTG Steve!! Congrats on the AG placement !

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

MY ex-husband dated a girl named Petra that was from Holland but living in Korea at the time Confused
            Funny! I wonder....nah...there are probably lots of Petras in the world.

Michelle

Wasatch Speedgoat

Nice job, Steve. Will you take some down time since you have 100 miler in 3 weeks?
              Oh, for sure, Chenille... Sunday, hobbled around the best I could at the post race award ceremony. Yesterday, my feet were so swollen all I could muster was a 15 minute walk after dinner. Today, I walked casually for about 30 minutes. Will do a upper body weight workout tonight. I hope to return to running tomorrow, but most likely only a 3-4 mile jog. Sunday we are going to Taos for a 22 mile run, but we (My wife and i) will hike up to the top of Mt. Wheeler, which is over 13K and run back down. Next week I hope to be able to get in about 40 miles or so and the following week we will be doing a lot of mileage course marking at Hardrock....probably 15 miles a day up above 13K. The week after that we'll just walk around town, maybe go for an easy jog in the mornings. Legs are still a little sore today, but much better than yesterday, so I shouldn't have any problem getting back to the running tomorrow. Tongue Steve

Wasatch Speedgoat

Petra is from Czechoslovakia...but has been over here since a child. She's in her 30's. Her maiden name was Petra Pirc and before Piki was born, was one of the top female ultrarunners in the country. This is her first real race since having the baby and I'd say she is on her way to the top again.

Congrats, Steve! Beautiful pictures and sounds like a challenging race. You ultra-folks continue to amaze me!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Petra is from Czechoslovakia...but has been over here since a child. She's in her 30's. Her maiden name was Petra Pirc and before Piki was born, was one of the top female ultrarunners in the country. This is her first real race since having the baby and I'd say she is on her way to the top again.
                    I found an old picture and she was from Czechoslovakia, but they are not the same person. Big grin Wow, that is pretty amazing - congratulations to her as well!

Michelle

Wasatch Speedgoat

Congrats, Steve! Beautiful pictures and sounds like a challenging race. You ultra-folks continue to amaze me!
                      We are sick in the head and admit it Shocked But anyway, thanks....next up (in 3 weeks) is a 100 in the same mountains that will take me three times the time it took to run SJS... Steve

Imminent Catastrophe

Oh, man, Hardrock. That's my "race I'd most like to do". I'm a long way from there, though.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

You'll ruin your knees!

Way to go Steve! Congrats and best of luck with the Rock! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

We are sick in the head and admit it Shocked But anyway, thanks....next up (in 3 weeks) is a 100 in the same mountains that will take me three times the time it took to run SJS... Steve
                            I truly am curious about it. I think it is absolutely amazing! To push yourself to the very edge like that and still keep on going. What is your first thought when you cross the finish line after such a race? Have you ever had second thoughts during a race?

Michelle

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The interesting thing is I am running not too bad at altitude after living here for a year, but right after Hardrock we're moving back to New Hampshire
                              Look at it this way Steve -- once you move back, your altitude acclimation will make running New England that much easier, for the short term! Smile

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

mikeymike

Awesome pictures. Beautiful race course!

Runners run