Lance is running Boston (Read 960 times)

I think Lance has caught the marathon bug. He's In for Boston
    "Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it." Lou Holtz

Another Passion

Is Katie, too? Roll eyes

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

JDF

Non-Stroller-Still Crazy

Let the predictions begin! I say he breaks 2:40 if the conditions are good. Otherwise I think he will be hard pressed to get below 2:45. A lot of people don't give him credit for being a decent runner. Personally, I will be very impressed if he breaks 2:40. That time would have won both of the marathons I have ever run.
            I think he can go sub 2:40 if he trains a little harder. His official time in NY was 2:46:43. He has a little more experience now and let’s not forget how he would rip it up in the Alps. I think we will fly through the Newton Hills. Brendan
            "Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it." Lou Holtz
              I wouldn't be surprised to see him break 2:40. He's clearly got the talent for it, it all depends on how well he trains.
              hdh

Man, he and Katie better stop stalking me. He was at NYC in 2006 and 2007 when I was there. She was at NYC in 2007. Now I am heading to Boston and so is he. I wish he'd stop so I could get some of the media spotlight. Who's gonna pace him this time.... Joanie is running the day before. Maybe Geb or Ritz will be free that day.
                hdh
                obsessor

2:43 but he'll have a good split at the half. 1:18. and thus, my prediction for the 2:43. better question is What will Hall do in London?
                  JakeKnight

He's awesome! He should try cycling.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                    -----------------------------

Maniac

2:38:17 I think the OP is right...I think he's got the bug and he's going to take this even more seriously than his last marathon. I wonder what this guy could do if he trained full-time for marathons...He's said he'll never do it, but I'm just curious, given all his natural ability, what he could do with proper training. I mean he broke 3 hours in NY without training much at all...It nearly broke him, but still....

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

2:43 but he'll have a good split at the half. 1:18. and thus, my prediction for the 2:43. better question is What will Hall do in London?
                        Hall is incredible. He's winning for sure.
                          He is definitely not a favorite for winning London. If he has a good day he could win but there are so many top runners their.
                            Hall is incredible for a young American marathoner. However, he has yet to show that he can compete with the world's best. And, as a World Marathon Majors series event, London will draw at least some of the world's best. The best thing Hall has going for him is his youth. He should be able to improve for several more years, if he stays healthy. Maybe he will someday be among the world's best and be a contender to win at London, but probably not this year.
                            PWL

Has been

However, he has yet to show that he can compete with the world's best.
                              Although it is only one example, I would argue that his debut showing at London last year would demonstrate that he CAN compete with the world's best. He finished less than a minute behind the winner! Is he going to be busting out a 2:03? Probably not this year. But I do think that, barring injury, he can consistently go top 10 in whatever marathon he chooses to run, regardless of how good the field is. And that is saying a lot.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Although it is only one example, I would argue that his debut showing at London last year would demonstrate that he CAN compete with the world's best. He finished less than a minute behind the winner! Is he going to be busting out a 2:03? Probably not this year. But I do think that, barring injury, he can consistently go top 10 in whatever marathon he chooses to run, regardless of how good the field is. And that is saying a lot.
                                It's true that he had an excellent showing in his inaugural marathon at London. However, it's also true that his London time was the 38th fastest in the world in 2007....and the 37 faster times were run by 35 other elite marathoners. In fact, there wwere 20 Kenyans who ran faster times. (See the IAAF list at http://www.iaaf.org/statistics/toplists/inout=O/ageGroup=N/season=2007/gender=M/discipline=MAR/legal=A/index.html.) Hall might be competitive on a given day, depending on who shows up for a race. But he still has to improve further and move ahead of a few people before he can gain the status of being a serious contender to win a race against the top international competition. Fortunately, he is showing excellent signs of having the potential to do just that. Let's all keep out fingers crossed. Smile