How to run a long hill during a race? (Read 833 times)

Can anyone give me some advice on what would be the best way to run a long hill (approx. 1km long with a 6% grade) during a marathon. The hill is about 5km into the Marathon. Is it best to run it at a steady pace, slowly or try to run it hard. I am thinking about just running up it slowly, so that I would avoid too much lactate acid buildup so early into the race. I have practiced running up to 8 repeats on a similar hill. I felt the acid builup had cleared by the time I got back to the bottom. So maybe it is best to just race up it and get it over with. Any advice would be appreciated.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The second one oct 19th toronto marathon, people from To would know it as the hoggs hollow stretch

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

A Saucy Wench

run it slowly. Try to keep your EFFORT the same as your effort for the rest of the race. For a hill that steep that may mean a significant drop in pace. You do not want to burn out near the beginning of a marathon. Would you run a 5K pace for an early K on a flat marathon? Fear of losing time on uphills is what has killed me in past races, now that I am learning to accept slower paces on uphills, my improved finishes are more than enough to make up for it. As a side note I am psyched that the group that paces PDX has a pace band generator that takes terrain into account. Not that PDX has much terrain, but its still psychologically cool. I do better when I approach a mile expecting to be slower.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

run it slowly. Try to keep your EFFORT the same as your effort for the rest of the race.
          Yeah that was my gut feeling, the program I'm following had me run long hills at 5 to 10k pace, ha, ha, ha...lets just say I ran them as fast as I could and after the secon one none of my repeats were even Marathon pace Dead

Can anyone give me some advice on what would be the best way to run a long hill (approx. 1km long with a 6% grade) during a marathon. The hill is about 5km into the Marathon. Is it best to run it at a steady pace, slowly or try to run it hard. I am thinking about just running up it slowly, so that I would avoid too much lactate acid buildup so early into the race. I have practiced running up to 8 repeats on a similar hill. I felt the acid builup had cleared by the time I got back to the bottom. So maybe it is best to just race up it and get it over with. Any advice would be appreciated.
            If you can do 8 repeats on that (sounds like you're doing them at LT or above), then running it at constant effort (slower pace, but constant breathing, maybe a little elevated breathing, depending upon your conditioning) might be a good strategy. Maybe practice running up the hill at race effort then continuing on at race effort. If you lose speed on the downs or flats because you spent too much on the ups, then slow the up part farther until you have a balance that works for you. Remember gravity is your friend on the downs, and if you burn too much energy fighting it on the ups, you won't get that free gift of speed on the downs. You'll pay a price on the flats and downs and ultimately in your finish time. Were you jogging the downs or running at race pace / effort? The real issue is energy management, not about using lactate as much as it is going too hard and burning into your glycogen stores too early in the race. If the hill were longer or steeper or the race longer, then a run/walk strategy might be useful. In my own training, as I get closer to race day (longer trail races), I practice a couple different strategies on those in-between hills (not mountains, but ones I can't see over) to see how much I lose by walking vs the energy cost of running.
            "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
              If you can do 8 repeats on that.... Were you jogging the downs or running at race pace / effort?
              The hill I was practicing on was actually only 850 meters, so it's a little shorter. I did just jog down easily and by the time I got to the bottom I felt fine. When I'd be going up for the 3rd or 4th time I'd be thinking, this is it I can't do 8 but by the time I'd get to the bottom I'd feel better and think ok .one more I can do.

Yeah that was my gut feeling, the program I'm following had me run long hills at 5 to 10k pace, ha, ha, ha...lets just say I ran them as fast as I could and after the secon one none of my repeats were even Marathon pace Dead
                I was writing while you were posting. That changes a little of the details in what I posted. I assumed you were successfully running them all at the same effort / pace at or above LT, since you had commented about lactate clearing. But the bottom line of what I posted is still relevant. Find the effort that you can handle the hill and continue running at that same effort. Try running it at marathon race effort and see how you can handle the flats and downs after that. And if you're doing repeats, do them at an effort / pace that you can maintain for all of them. I'm assuming your race has downhills, although maybe not symmetrical. Be sure to train the downs also, esp. if the downs are early in the race. Training harder than race pace / effort is fine for conditioning, but as you get closer to race day, start dialing in on a specific feeling of how to do the hill. ("race simulation", if you will)
                "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                  But the bottom line of what I posted is still relevant. Find the effort that you can handle the hill and continue running at that same effort. Try running it at marathon race effort and see how you can handle the flats and downs after that.
                  If I only had to go up once, I'm 100% positive I could recover on the gentle sloping downside, that goes for miles. Within 3 or 4 minutes my breathing would return to the pre-hill effort. The glycogen used and lingering lactate acid may be a problem. Is it possible to clear all the acid buildup, or does some of it stay and slowly build during the race?

Backstreach -- this is your first 'official' marathon (not including your excellent training run)....run it slowly and finish up feeling good.... Then ask us this question again next year when you are try to beat this years time......Save yourself for the next 24 miles..........by easing your way over the hill....because if you runn at your normal marathon speed and not your training run speed you will need the extra energy at about mile 23 and on..... Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching

obsessor

Train hard with hills. Race easy up hills. Race down hills fast and relaxed.
                      xor

The glycogen used ... may be a problem.
                        Given your other thread, I am surprised to see this. Go up that hill EASY. (Ennay, PDX doesn't have much terrain but it DOES have the bridge hill and another long-but-not-steep one after that)

Thanks John, yes slow appears to be the way as you and Ennay have suggested, but there is a part of me that thinks I can just put in the extra effort maintain the Marathon pace up the hill and carry on the marathon pace over the crest. Then fully recover within minutes on the downward slope. By recover I don't mean slowing down I mean my breathing would return to "Normal marathon pace breathing". You and Ennay are correct I do worry what effect it will have 15 miles later. By the way john, get with the program Wink, this the the Oct 19th Marathon my 1st is Sept 28th, LOL, Hope you didn't choke Big grin

Train hard with hills. Race easy up hills. Race down hills fast and relaxed.
                            You certainly have run enough to know Obsessor, thanks.

Given your other thread, I am surprised to see this. Go up that hill EASY. (Ennay, PDX doesn't have much terrain but it DOES have the bridge hill and another long-but-not-steep one after that)
                              The other thread, c'mon man, I asked a question! Don't make me use that famous copout......I'm NEW Big grin Easy it is , thanks