Treadmill incline (Read 766 times)

The Plodder

Due to time pressures I do most of my training on a treadmill during my lunch breaks from work. I can usually squeeze a 4 mile run in. Previously I have set the incline to 0.5, but this last week or so I have put it up 1.0 Now to me that doesn't sound like much of an increase - but boy has it made a difference. I am no speed merchant, but I recently I have been completing my runs at around the 32min mark (8min per mile) but since the incline increase today is the first time i have broken 33mins in 6 attempts. So my question is - 'should it be making as much difference as it is', and would i be better trying to lower my times with the machine on flat rather than trying to increase the incline?
      There is some (a lot Wink) of debate over this, but I've always heard that 1% incline on the TM is "closer" to running outside. I would keep it around 1.0% ... and yeah, it's not surprising that it makes a big difference. You'll adapt to it!
      2009: BQ?
        I do not know of the discussions Trishie is referring to- and I am no expert on treadmills. As a matter of fact I very rarely run on a treadmill but when I do I run at 1-1.5 %, occassionally a little more. I have a chart somewhere that shows so-called equivalents of treadmill speeds/elevations to road speeds. I will try to find it and post it for you.
        http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
        Jill_B

I fly.

I run on the treadmill all the time and I always keep it at a 1% incline. Last fall when I was training for the HHFMM I increased the incline to 2-3%. I was told by some of the other runners that I shoudl try to put the treadmill at a 5% incline, but I was not able to run at all with such an incline. I think it is harder to run with more of an incline, but I think you adjust quickly.

Bring it on.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I was told by some of the other runners that I shoudl try to put the treadmill at a 5% incline, but I was not able to run at all with such an incline. I think it is harder to run with more of an incline, but I think you adjust quickly.
            5% is a lot of incline to run with all the time -- that's like constant hill training. I've heard the 1% figure quite a few times before. Often it was asserted that the 1% compensated for the fact that there's no air resistance on a treadmill. However, in this discussion, it was pointed out that air resistance is negligible for most training speeds. However, I still think 1% treadmill is probably a reasonable setting. When you run on the roads, you're pushing off of (hopefully) static ground. On a treadmill, the movement of the belt is doing some of that work for you, so a small incline would seem to be in order to even things out. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I ran on the treadmill exclusively this winter with no incline at all and when I hit the roads...same speed, and faster.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

muse_runner

keep running.

I have put the t-mill on 1% incline and done all of my speedwork there. Come to find out I am faster on the track! So I think that a .5% incline may be the ticket, or a .5% incline with some light wind from a fan blowing on you. Can we mimick precisely? hehe
                running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
                jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I ran on the treadmill exclusively this winter with no incline at all and when I hit the roads...same speed, and faster.
                  Well, your season is off to a good start (sub 20 5k), so don't mess with what you're doing! Tongue I personally have always thought that a 0% incline felt a little like running downhill. Most of my 'mill running is at 1%, but I do recoveries during fast intervals at 0%. Cheers, Jeff

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

evillee

I am a novice runner who just started running in August. I began on the treadmill at the gym set at 0% when i built up sometime on that i tried to run outdoors and had a tough go of it. I continued to run outdoors until December when I had to take time off because of work. When I started up again in March I mixed outdoors with my home treadmill. It took some time to get back in the swing of things but I find myself faster outside. My home treadmill's lowest incline is 1.5% and have a 12:30 or so pace. Outdoors my pace is closer to 11:00 so it seems to make a big difference to me.