The Malmo Manifesto (Read 1282 times)

Think Whirled Peas

George "Malmo" Malley and his training philosophy. Good stuff.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

SMART Approach

Yep, I am a big fan of Malmo and his teachings/philosophy. I always remember his philosophy/two cents on tempo runs. He feels most of us runners run our tempos too fast or race like. He states tempos should leave you feeling invigorated not exhausted. That is something that has always stuck in my head from Malmo.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

JakeKnight

I find it rather amusing how little interest this post is drawing. Brilliant and simple advice from a running master. Meanwhile, lengthy tomes on meaningless minutiae related to cadence or heart rates get all kinds of attention. People are funny.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

mikeymike

malmo's manifesto has been posted thousands of times on just about every running board on the Trenternet. Still I never tire of re-reading it. Also good is the summer of malmo.

Runners run

Brilliant and simple advice...
            It is that. Not for everybody, but if you want to compete it's great stuff. I know he wanted to keep it short and sweet, so he only used two examples. I'd toss Pre in there as a "just do it" runner, I think he's a natural fit for Malmo's manifesto. I'm going to work so that it's a pure guts race at the end, and if it is, I am the only one who can win it. ~Steve Prefontaine

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Why is it sideways?

Emil Zatopek:
              Runner's World Daily: How do you compare the modern runner with yourself? Emil Zatopek: The athlete of today is not an athlete alone. He's the center of a team--doctors, scientists, coaches, agents and so on. My running was very simple; it was out of myself. Perhaps sometimes I was like a mad dog. It didn't matter about style or what it looked like to others; there were records to break. Two months before the 1952 Olympic Games in Helsinki, the doctors said I must not compete. I had a gland infection in my neck. Well I didn't listen and what happened? Three golds. The sportsman, the real sportsman, knows what is inside him. Haile Gebrselassie impresses me very much. He seems to run from within himself.
              Go Daddy

Very good stuff. Actually simple enough for me to understand. Push yourself to do more instead of pulling yourself to fit into an over-regulated formulary of workouts. The "Lombardi" of running for those of us old enough to remember when coaches could be honest and did not need to be politically correct.
                Scout7

I had someone give this as a response to this topic once: Ah, yes, but for the regular folk not blessed with the genetics for this stuff, like me, the following would run me right into injury and out of a season.... 1. Run twice a day, as many days as you can. Hopefully five, six or seven days a week. 2. Run more. How much? I dunno. You figure it out, but find out for yourself. 3. Run it faster. Unfortunately, it's that sort of thinking that makes running complicated. That it revolves around some predetermined innate ability.
                  HOSS1961

I had someone give this as a response to this topic once: Ah, yes, but for the regular folk not blessed with the genetics for this stuff, like me, the following would run me right into injury and out of a season.... 1. Run twice a day, as many days as you can. Hopefully five, six or seven days a week. 2. Run more. How much? I dunno. You figure it out, but find out for yourself. 3. Run it faster. Unfortunately, it's that sort of thinking that makes running complicated. That it revolves around some predetermined innate ability.
                    I agree if you only look at the 1st bullet point. When you add the 2nd bullet, for me it is the answer...run as much as you can without hurint yourself. That is pretty simple to me, I can run 5 days and be fine but 6 days breaks me down. I like the philosophy.
                    HOSS 2009 Goals Have a healthy back and run w/o pain! Drop 15 pounds gained while injured
                    Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

As someone who's trying to break out of the slave to numbers mentality, I find this brilliant. Part of the problem that beginner runners have (I'm assuming I'm not alone) is that we're just not sure how hard we're supposed to be working. Run twice a day as many days as you can? A lot of folks are goign to focus on that and feel that anything short of that is failure. Run it faster? But I've been told training days are for training, racing day is for racing. How much faster? Preformed numbers give us a framework with which to define our training when we don't know enough to provide that framework for ourselves. Throw in to the mix the fact that periodization, peeking, low HR training and other concepts provide solid results for some folks, many of us are perfectly happy to attach our wagon to a concept that's worked well for others. When elite, or even accomplished runners, are asked about their training, they usually answer with numbers - something we can all identify with. Throw into the mix the fact that, while I do love running, at my very core, I'm a lazy person. I try not to be, but I am. Numbers give me a quantifiable measuring stick to gauge my battle against laziness. 48 MPW is less lazy than 38 MPW for example. Running "as much as I can" is a bit vague.
                      Go Daddy

I agree, he does say run as many days as you can and you figure out the distance. It is made to be simple and based on an individual's tolerances. I could not run doubles six days a week nor could I run 15 miles a day. But, I can run and grow by following the simple guidelines.
                          As someone who's trying to break out of the slave to numbers mentality, I find this brilliant. Part of the problem that beginner runners have (I'm assuming I'm not alone) is that we're just not sure how hard we're supposed to be working. Run twice a day as many days as you can? A lot of folks are goign to focus on that and feel that anything short of that is failure. Run it faster? But I've been told training days are for training, racing day is for racing. How much faster? Preformed numbers give us a framework with which to define our training when we don't know enough to provide that framework for ourselves. Throw in to the mix the fact that periodization, peeking, low HR training and other concepts provide solid results for some folks, many of us are perfectly happy to attach our wagon to a concept that's worked well for others. When elite, or even accomplished runners, are asked about their training, they usually answer with numbers - something we can all identify with. Throw into the mix the fact that, while I do love running, at my very core, I'm a lazy person. I try not to be, but I am. Numbers give me a quantifiable measuring stick to gauge my battle against laziness. 48 MPW is less lazy than 38 MPW for example. Running "as much as I can" is a bit vague.
                          Mr. Inertia, I think you described me there. I'm in the same boat as you - trying to make the transition from number slave on a canned plan - to learning to run kung fu style. Malmo lays out some basic ground rules for that. I may try some of that for the next base phase. I like mikeymike's philosophy even more though (for simplicity's sake) - "Runners run". Doesn't get any simpler than that. I'm not sure my OCD running number addiction can handle any of that yet. I may have to join a Garmin-free 12 step program before I'm ready for either approach.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Why is it sideways?

Running "as much as I can" is a bit vague.
                            I think that's right. It is vague. But there's a place for vagueness in running. We don't know how fast to run. We're never sure if we trained well for the last race. We don't know if we could have pushed ourselves harder. We're unsure where to prioritize running among our variety of goals. We don't know what counts for success. We don't know if we're running for fun, for competition, or companionship. We can't decide if we're lazy or obsessively dedicated to an absurd task. We don't know how hard to go out in the next race. We don't know how we'll be feeling at mile 20 or 22. On we go, sometimes dropping out. Running is a relentless set of questions that can only be answered temporarily, and incompletely. Vaguely. With our legs and hearts. Failing often. Paying with effort but occasionally gifted, at odd moments, with bodily and inarticulate epiphanies towards which the numbers mutely point--too certain to speak clearly.
                            Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

For the second time since I started this, my relationship with my running just changed. Thank you.
                              mikeymike

Running is a relentless set of questions that can only be answered temporarily, and incompletely. Vaguely. With our legs and hearts. Failing often. Paying with effort but occasionally gifted, at odd moments, with bodily and inarticulate epiphanies towards which the numbers mutely point--too certain to speak clearly.
                                Quoted because it needed to be.

Runners run