Data security (Read 1021 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Eric, just curious as to what you have in place to avoid this.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

mikeymike

Worry about your own data security, globule! I'm browsing your C: drive right now...whoa you're into some weird stuff, dude.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Shocked Jeez, Jeff...that's not even legal in at least a dozen states. Gross. You should be ashamed!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Lazy idiot

Globule, I see you got the files I sent you. Evil grin Nice background picture, by the way.

Tick tock

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Shocked Jeez, Jeff...that's not even legal in at least a dozen states. Gross. You should be ashamed!
            Yeah, but it's legal in Michigan. Tongue

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, but it's legal in Michigan. Tongue
              Evil grin Blush Shy <---innocent>

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Worry about your own data security, globule! I'm browsing your C: drive right now...whoa you're into some weird stuff, dude.
                No probelm as along as there's consent. I could have sworn that goat said "yyyyyeeeesssss."

eric :)

The short version: your data is safe. Long version: The server is located in a data center that protects against unauthorized physical access using multiple layers of security. It also guards against fire with a CO2 suppression system and against multi-day blackouts with generators. The server uses a mirrored drive where data is written to two disks simultaneously. If one drive dies, the server will keep on running using the other disk. Automated backup of the database is done every night. The data is replicated to a machine at a different geographical location to guard against a thermo-nuclear attack on the data center. The replicated data is restored to a test database periodically to ensure the data is restorable. Most people think they're safe so long as they back up their data. They never thought about the possibility of needing to restore it, which was the case with Running-Log.com. I go through these restoration drills to ensure the data is truly safe and that I'm prepared against any possible failures. It maybe a little excessive, but there are so many people using this site that it'll be irresponsible of me otherwise. In regards to Running-Log.com losing the data, I have an idea of how it happened. Many of these web service providers are mom and pop shops. They did not invest much into data security because such a setup is quite costly. Web hosting is very competitive. You can get a website hosted for a couple of dollars a month so they had to skim on something. RA was first hosted on a shared system. Although the provider claimed that they were backing up my server, it turned out they weren't doing it properly (I found out during one of the restoration drills). To compound the problem, the server probably was using a single disk so if it dies, you're hosed. The bottom line is your data is safe. Aside from having a spare server on standby in case the primary server fails, there really isn't anything else I can do to make the data any safer. Of course, I'm not buying that spare server because it's impractical unless it's a critical service. eric :-)

Dog-Love

I feel better Smile But I still back up my running log
                    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                    JakeKnight

Uh. Wow. Is your compound patrolled by armed guards? Are there orbiting black helicopters overhead? I feel very safe.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                      -----------------------------

Into the wild

Who cares... I only come here for the forums now anyway Evil grin Evil grin

Shut up and run

eric :)

Is your compound patrolled by armed guards?
                          Yes
                          Are there orbiting black helicopters overhead?
                          No
                          I feel very safe.
                          Good

Maniac

Was the thermo-nuclear attack comment serious? Because I can't tell...

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Burninated Peasant

The short version: your data is safe.
                              Wow. The only single point of failure is Eric. Eric, have you looked into cloning yourself and putting a duplicate copy in a different location to protect against thermo-nuclear attack?
                              Wingz

Professional Noob

Hey, in that thread jeffgoblue quoted, someone suggested it'd be great if we could have the option to have RA automatically email us a copy of our log on a weekly basis. That's be a cool feature and would set some people's minds to rest in spite of your black helicopters thermo-nuclear attack safety precautions. Big grin I know your to-do list is really short right now ( Clowning around ) what about tacking that on to the list?

Roads were made for journeys...