Adventure Racing (Read 600 times)

Has anyone ever heard of this? Done it? Liked it? Hated it? A friend of mine told me about it yesterday and it sounds awesome! It's like a triathlon with an edge. It sounds like something I would like to get into, but I wanted to talk to some people who have done it before.
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways.... totally worn out ....shouting...."Holy S**t....What a ride!"
    vicentefrijole

Is it called a "wild onion" race? I just became aware of these a couple months ago... I've never done one but heard they are a good time. At least some of them are called wild onion races (http://www.urbanadventureracing.com/wildonion.html) and take place in urban areas. I'm more interested (at least to start with) in a "wild scallion" race this fall in Chicago (http://www.urbanadventureracing.com/scallion/index.html). These are a bit shorter (take only 6+hrs) but have some of the same adventuresome qualities. What do you know about them? Are they always in major cities? Are they always in teams? Know any good websites?
      Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I've heard for adventure racing, and I wanted to do one, but never had a chance to do it. It certainly helps to break up the monotony of training. A similar concept is the adventure vacationing. Instead of doing the typical touristy stuff, you run, bike, swim, hike in the wilds of whatever destination you choose. That sounds like fun too.
          I did a Google search for Adventure racing and started reading what came up. I did a search on active.com and read a couple of articles they had. A really good article they had was Adventure Racing 101. I also did a search for AR races near me and there are quite a few! One article I read said if you like buying gadgets, this is the sport for you! One website, www.argear.com has shopping lists for the different levels of races (beginner, intermediate and advanced). I hadn't heard of them being in cities. The ones I read about were in and around lakes, rivers, etc for the canoe/kayak portion of the race and in the woods for the orienteering. From what I can tell they are always in teams. I haven't seen any without teams. I guess there is an elite race going on right now. My friend who told me about AR sent this site to me. I haven't had a chance to look around very much, but here it it: www.ecoprimalquest.com I have a goal this year a completing a half marathon. After that is over, I think I am going to start training for one.
          "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways.... totally worn out ....shouting...."Holy S**t....What a ride!"
          vicentefrijole

The interesting thing is that you don't know what's coming next, right? (though they usually have some sort of running, cycling, water (paddling often), and orienteering components.) I think it would be hard to train for them specifically, just have to get in good overall physical shape... but that uncertainty is what makes is fun, I would think.
            Finbarr

There's a sortof adventure race called the MuddyBuddy, which is an annual run/bike with obstacles on the run part, race, and a beer garden at the end! I did it a year ago and loved it.
                My brother and I have done quite a few adventure races over the past few years. It's about the only sport that he'll participate in with me next to mountain biking, as he hates running and triathlons! But, since he is a former Marine sniper, he loves the adventure races. And, with him taking care of the map and plotting out the check points (he reads a map and compass better than any one I've known), we usually do pretty good. The ones we've done done around here (Michigan) usually consist of a boating or water-based activity first (my favorite was a 1 mile "swim" through a swamp, a bit smelly and muddy after that!) and then on to a mountain bike segment, followed by a trek or trail run (depending on how good you are with the map). Throughout it all, you are having to go through assigned check points that are marked on your map. To get to these maps, you need to know at least basic orienteering skills, or find a partner who does! If you don't mind getting dirty and staying dirty for hours, it's a lot of fun.
                Run long, run strong
                  A buddy of mine and I volunteered at one a few weeks ago. Vicente was correct in that the participants did not know what the next event was until they had completed the assigned tasked. Then they were given the instructions. In fact, they didn't even know they were comming up to the last event until the race official, as they were handing them the piece of paper the instructions were on, told them it was. How about that for a mental challenge?!? I have started training for AR by biking to and from work and an occasional trail ride or run. I have to say, riding a bike again is a lot of fun. It's only been about 15 years since I've even been on one and unless I'm going uphill, I have a pretty big smile on my face!
                    Right now I am training for this race: http://www.infiterrasports.com/06chill.htm This is in michigan so I wouldn't be surprised if djdarrin was at some of the races I have been to since I go to a lot of the events held by that company. I plan to do a 24 hour one in pittsburgh in sept 07. I got inspired to get into extreme racing when I crewed for my Dad last month. He successfully completed the badwater ultra-marathon. It was hardcore. 135 miles across the desert in 130 degree heat. These guys are nuts! I really like having to navigate throughout the course. Good physical abilities can only take you so far. Route planning is key. If this interests you, you might want to check out your local AR events. I run some of the ones in Pittsburgh (where i live) too.