Post run stomach cramps and heartburn (Read 2416 times)

A Saucy Wench

Asking for a friend of mine: After a run...about 20 minutes after, she will have horrendous stomach cramps, sometimes accompanied by heartburn. She has not seen a correlation with hard runs or easy runs. She will drink fluids soon after running and then try to eat something to refuel. Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas? I should add she is on a prescription diuretic (stopping it is not an option). She cant remember if the cramping started before or after she started taking this prescription.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

What does she drink and eat? It took me forever to figure out I was lactose intolerant, but afterwards, things were smooth sailing! Maybe that or some kind of food allergy/ intolerance? Does she have problems, maybe more minor, at other times?

A Saucy Wench

gonna bump this to see if we can get more suggestions for her to ponder!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Misinformation Officer

No real suggestions to her, but some days I have to take a Zantac before I run. Also, for long runs, I take a couple of cubes of candied ginger with me, along with my shot blocks, just in case. Ginger is goood for settling my stomach, although some people do not like the taste. HTH. EDIT: I forgot to mention, I take the Zantac b/c there is some odd relation between my asthma and GERD (refllux). Some days the two combine for problems.

TRIing to beat the heat!

Ennay, I sometimes get stomach cramps (never indigestion, though) after a long run or after a triathlon. I'll also sometimes get after a shorter run anytime I'm pushing the intensity (I'm talking about a HR in the 190's here). They usually occur about 10 to 20 minutes after the run is completely finished. Sometimes I'll have a BM, sometimes not. It doesn't happen all of the time, but when it does happen I can usually associate it with a) duration or b) intensity. Of course, I'm not sure why it happens at all. Roll eyes

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What does she drink and eat? It took me forever to figure out I was lactose intolerant, but afterwards, things were smooth sailing! Maybe that or some kind of food allergy/ intolerance? Does she have problems, maybe more minor, at other times?
              Ditto. I thought my long runs were giving me, uhh...the runs, but it was drinking Ovaltine with regular milk after my long runs. When I switched to Carnation Instant Breakfast (the sugar-free variety is lactose-free) with lactose-free milk I had no more problems.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

She needs to speak with her doc.
                emilywatson

most of the time it happens cause of dehydration ,if you r hydrated well enough before running it should not cause cramps and heart burn.
                  Make sure if your drinking plenty of water you give some time before running.
                  heart burn can be also because of the food eaten before.
                  Emily
                  Heart burn
                  xor

This thread is a year old.

Hopefully it has resolved by now?