Hypothyroidism? (Read 983 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Anyone here have it? I'm being tested in a couple of weeks, since I have several symptoms (inability to lose weight, even while training for HM, allergies, low libido, hypoglycemia, sinus infections, edema, sleep issues, occasional problems swallowing) and endometriosis, which is a risk factor (auto-immune disorder). I'm just curious about how it affects running. The weight loss difficulties are my big frustration. Seems I can only lose while eating VERY low calorie/low-carb and as soon as I increase one or the other I gain again. Even with running. In fact, I started running to help get my weight loss moving again (I had gained back 15#s, struggled to lose a few, but couldn't get the scale to keep moving downwards), but it only has made things more difficult, since I needed to increase carbs and calories to fuel my runs, but that also seemed to fuel my food cravings. I'm currently 20+#s from where I was at my low weight and where I want to be permanently. I've put on at least 10#s since I started running last Spring. Anyhow, just looking for some BTDTs and what sorts of symptoms other runners deal with. I don't have the depression or tiredness issues that many deal with, but I think regular exercise probably has a lot to do with that.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I do. I've been on thyroid meds for about a year and a half (it's fairly common among diabetics like myself). Good news is, once you've got the right meds and the right dosage you're in great shape... Bad news is, thyroid meds are extremely potent.. meaning you have to find the perfect dose (and often brand) for you... Along the way, you shouldn't feel any worse then you do now but because it takes your body at least a month to "reset" after a new dosage, it takes time between blood tests... Because the meds are so important, many docs recommend you avoid generics (I do, and brand names for this aren't expensive anyway). I'm pretty sure I finally reached the magic dosage but it's taken me over a year to get there. And while I have lost ten pounds since then, I also started exercising since then, so it's hard to say which came first... As far as energy level goes, I have a bit more now, but nothing dramatic. Yeah, this getting old stuff sux. Smile

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I've been on thyroid medication since I was about 11 - I was diagnosed w/ diabetes at 10 and like mgrimm said, the two go together. I guess it's the same with endometriosis since they're all auto-immune disorders. My only symptom before diagnisis was being extremely tired all the time. Has your doctor pushed on your neck to see if your thyroid is swollen? That was the first thing mine did way back when, then since it was swollen he had the blood test done. My dosage has only changed once, and as long as I don't forget to get the prescription refilled or anything, I don't have any problems. If I miss a week or so, I notice myself being tired more than usual.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Marcus, that's really interesting...I know thyroid issues aren't nearly as common in men. How did you end up being diagnosed...what sorts of symptoms were you having? Could you lose weight much at all prior to starting your meds? I *can* lose weight, but I end up nearly obsessing over food and exercise, having to cut my calories down near "starvation" levels, and after a while usually end up with the "fluck it" attitude and go the opposite extreme...which has been my biggest issue in the past year. If it turns out I'm not hypo, then I don't know what my next step will be. My metabolism seems to be abnormally slow for someone who runs as much as I do (or was prior to the family issues of the past couple of weeks and lots of time on the road). I have heard that it can take years to come to the correct doseage--and that it will likely need to be increased as time goes on and the thyroid function lessens.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Stacie, I wonder if the PA I will see will even know about the neck thing. How knowledgeable are most general physicians? Should I be asking for a referral to an endocrinologist? The tired thing is what has me perplexed. I have so many potential symptoms, but I don't really have the tiredness issues that seem to almost be a prereq. I do feel best when I get about 9-10 hours of sleep, but I manage pretty well on my usual 7-8. I was actually more tired before I lost weight and started exercising, but I think that probably had more to do with screwy blood sugar and hauling around so many extra #s. I definitely have the mental foggyness that I am reading about, though. And I tend to forget little things really easily...but part of that is due to being just plain disorganized, I'm sure. I live in a house with one closet (seriously, one small closet...stupid old house) and I try to keep 2 businesses organized, which is often a lost cause. k

~ Sarah Kay

How knowledgeable are most general physicians?
              Well, I'm not a GP, only a child psychiatrist, but even I know from my medicine studies that palpating the thyroid gland is the first thing you should do when suspecting a thyroid problem, so I'm quite sure your GP does know. But not all thyroid problems show themselves that way. If you have a blood test done, that's a very reliable way of diagnosing a problem. If it really turns out you have hypothyroidism, then I should ask for a referral to a endocrinologist. Tiredness is a very common symptom of hypothyroidism, but you don't see it in each and every patient.

Running in Belgium
              Ann

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If it really turns out you have hypothyroidism, then I should ask for a referral to a endocrinologist. Tiredness is a very common symptom of hypothyroidism, but you don't see it in each and every patient.
                Good to know. And I read one thing that said some people have very few symptoms and are still hypo. Kinda like endometriosis, I guess. There are women who are stage 1 with more severe symptoms than I have as a stage 2. I think a lot of these things are probably relative to what a person feels is "normal." With Endo. I think a person's individual pain tolerance is probably a major player. k

~ Sarah Kay

I would suggest you go see an endocrinologist if there is the slightest chance that you have a thyroid issue. I dealt with symptoms for months before a GP suggested I get thyroid testing. The endocrinologist has some very easy non-intrusive tests that are run quickly and painlessly. You will have an answer almost immediately. When I was researching thyroid issues I found it comforting to know that nearly all thyroid disorders can be corrected with medication. Hang in there! Good luck Smile
                  zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep, and I have found that it's VERY common to have the basic TSH test read in the "normal" range. So if the test my PCP does doesn't include FT3 and FT4 levels I will be asking for a referral to an endo just for a second opinion and further testing. Sounds like thyroid issues are still so misunderstood by many in the medical field and underdiagnosed in many cases. Luckily I have a GREAT PCP (when we move 45 minutes away I have contemplated keeping him as my PCP), so I know if anyone is going to give me good care, it's him and his PA. k

~ Sarah Kay

How did you end up being diagnosed...what sorts of symptoms were you having?
                      The story of my diagnosis is a bit different than most thyroid issues.... My employer actually had a free thyroid screening clinic which my boss twisted my arm into going into fifteen minutes before it closed... The guy doing the screening found a lump on my thyroid, so I went to see my endocrinologist (the funny thing about this is since I'm diabetic I see my endo every four months (have seen my family doc. once in the past three years)).... While I had been feeling a bit more tired in the previous months, I hadn't been feeling terribly so and my last TSH test had been ok (again, being diabetic, I'd gotten it tested periodically). So they take a TSH and it comes back low... dr. says well, the bad news is if we remove part of your thyroid, you'll need to take meds for the rest of your life... good news is, since your TSH is low, we're putting you on meds for the rest of your life anyway... So I go on meds and get scheduled for surgery... I wasn't too scared.. thyroid cancer is like the 2nd most curable of all cancers.... Anyhow, they removed half my thyroid and the tumor was benign... though the fact that my TSH levels were dramatically affected by the surgery could be why I've taken longer to get my meds stabilized... As far as weight gain goes, the only thing I'd noticed was that at the time I was keeping my carbs pretty low and was still about five pounds overweight... however, I wasn't exercising at all at that point... so it's hard to say if that was responsible for the weight retaining or not... I started running in July of this year and have lost nine pounds since I started running, but it's come off faster in the past six weeks, even though my miles are down (still having some leg problems post half-marathon)... which I think is partially because I've finally gotten the meds in line. To me, the only thing frustrating about thyroid issues is that they are sooo much more subtle than other things... with diabetes, it's easy to know if you're messed up... the thyroid thing is so much more delicated. But you've taken the first step.. and that's always a good place to start!

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

As far as weight gain goes, the only thing I'd noticed was that at the time I was keeping my carbs pretty low and was still about five pounds overweight... however, I wasn't exercising at all at that point... so it's hard to say if that was responsible for the weight retaining or not... I started running in July of this year and have lost nine pounds since I started running, but it's come off faster in the past six weeks, even though my miles are down (still having some leg problems post half-marathon)... which I think is partially because I've finally gotten the meds in line. To me, the only thing frustrating about thyroid issues is that they are sooo much more subtle than other things... with diabetes, it's easy to know if you're messed up... the thyroid thing is so much more delicated. But you've taken the first step.. and that's always a good place to start!
                        I'm so glad your story had a happy ending--no cancer + weight loss...that is great! Smile I know my weight gain is likely in large part to letting my running be the rationale for lots of overeating--but not to the point that I should be gaining as fast as I am (and not losing when I was eating low calories for months and running regularly). I have so many other symptoms and with the added risk factor of another autoimmune disorder I think I will be surprised if my thyroid function is deemed normal.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Shoot...I wish I had squeezed that appt. in right before Thanksgiving. I was supposed to go in tomorrow AM to be tested, but the PA has jury duty, so now it's been pushed back to Monday. I really want answers. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

So my thyroid test results came back perfectly normal. TSH of 1.899 and free T4 of .8. Neither is even borderline high. Guess this means I just have a really shitty metabolism that even running doesn't have much effect on, unfortunately. No wonder the women on my dad's side of the family have such a difficult time with weight--by comparison I am tall and svelte. So still no obvious cause for all of the other issues, either. I had really been hoping to find some explanation for many bothersome symptoms that fall under hypothyroidism.... Poo.

~ Sarah Kay

Finished!

So still no obvious cause for all of the other issues, either. I had really been hoping to find some explanation for many bothersome symptoms that fall under hypothyroidism.... Poo.
                              Sad that's frustrating. I'm trying to figure out whats going on with my poor head - low grade headache since mid november! The good news tho appears to be you don't have hypothyroidism Smile I know people with thyroid issues and I hear getting the balance of medications is really touchy.
                              Walk + Jog = wog.
                              I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                              I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sad that's frustrating. I'm trying to figure out whats going on with my poor head - low grade headache since mid november! The good news tho appears to be you don't have hypothyroidism Smile I know people with thyroid issues and I hear getting the balance of medications is really touchy.
                                Ooh, get that headache checked out! Could it be stress or maybe some sort of sinus infection? Chronic headaches are horrible. Yeah, I don't know if I should be happy that my thyroid is normal...I mean, I should be, but at least a goody thyroid would explain a LOT of issues that I have no explanation for. The weight thing is my most frustrating, but things like poor libido, sleep issues, hypoglycemia, and being cold a lot of the time really suck. To be able to treat all of those things by treating a single medical issue would have been wonderful. Back to square 1, I guess. k

~ Sarah Kay