Back to running and FIRST running programs (Read 850 times)

Hi all, Some might remember me on the forum about a year ago. I actually co-started the 1000 mile club. I disappeared from the radar sometimes last February when I suddenly felt pain in my right foot while walking back to work. Suddenly I couldn't run, cycle, x-country ski, even had trouble walking and got depressed. Still not sure what was the problem with it, sports doctor ruled out stress fracture and said that it could be plantar fasciitis, however I didn't have several of the typical symptoms such as more pain when getting out of bed in the morning. After a lot of rest and orthotics, I failed a few attempts in getting back to running because of the reappearing pain. Finally, I think I'm back. I've been running 2 to 3 times a week since December 1st without problems. Yesterday, I even ran 10k the first time since last February. That felt good!!! Not wanting to ever be sidelined for that long, I'm starting running with a new twist, mixing in a lot of cross training, namely cycling and swimming. If things go well, I might try a triathlon early this summer. I'm also looking at the FIRST running programs which substitute easy running days with cross training and only keep interval, tempo and long runs. On the FIRST website (http://www.furman.edu/first/), they claim that people that followed and finished the programs had good success in their race often setting PBs. But never do they mention how many of those who started dropped out because of injury. Has anyone tried the FIRST marathon programs? How did it go? Thanks, - R

Feeling the growl again

Do you feel your injury was more related to the AMOUNT you were running, or the intensity? If the former, FIRST may be a good option. If the latter, the stress of the fast work without supporting easy work to "condition" your joints, ligaments and bones specifically for running may be a worse bet.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I'm not sure how to tell whether it was intensity or amount. Maybe it was intensity because I was doing hills at my last workout before I felt the pain. However, it was just three times a 500 yard hill with plenty of warm up and cool down and I felt great on that run, at least that's what my log says. My mileage was about 30 miles a week at the time. So nothing significant there either. It could also have been the road conditions too... running on snow and ice the prior two weeks. So far I do like mixing in swimming and cycling, it definitely feels more like my whole body is working out rather than just my legs. Even regarding my legs, they feel more evenly tired after exercising. Have you actually followed the FIRST marathon program? - R

Feeling the growl again

No, I have not tried it, but that doesn't mean I don't understand how various training methodologies will affect your running. It depends on your goals as well. If you really want to improve your running in a sustainable fashion, FIRST will not be optimal. If you enjoy doing multiple activities but still want to run ok and perform better in running that the other activities, it's probably a decent comprimise.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Hawt and sexy

I would not try the FIRST program. It does not provide enough mileage to support the speedwork given unless you change the X-train days to running days. That is how people get injured. I guess you figured that out on your own. I also agree with Andy. And if you want to improve your running, just run more.

I'm touching your pants.

On the FIRST website (http://www.furman.edu/first/), they claim that people that followed and finished the programs had good success in their race often setting PBs. But never do they mention how many of those who started dropped out because of injury.
              In the initial trail that was documented, 25 runners ov various abilities started the program. None dropped out because of injury and 21 of the 25 were highly successful. Read the details here: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-255-8257-0,00.html The F.I.R.S.T. plans are tough but effective when combined with XT. If you've been a runner or endurance athlete for a while, and read between the lines, you'll figure it out. While LSD is often considered the foundation of a training plan, the bottom line is it elevates your HR to 60-75% for an extended period. IOW, keeping the "quality" of a running program and replacing the "quantity" with various forms of XT makes sense. Wishing you all the best in your endeavors. Keep us posted. Smile

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Half Fanatic #846

Has anyone tried the FIRST marathon programs? How did it go? Hey Ronald - I tried the FIRST program last fall, but it looks like I'm in a different situation than you, because my average pace is quite a bit slower than yours (and my aerobic base was weak). Because of this, I dropped the program after a few weeks because I couldn't handle the intensity of the speedwork required, and I didn't want to injure myself. I really did enjoy the x-training though! I think the reason that I initially selected FIRST was that "only three days of running per week and x-training" appeared to be very attractive. Now I'm running slower, but for 4-5 days a week, increasing my weekly mileage easily (Low Heart Rate User Group member), and enjoying running much more. My 2c only - It's possible that if you have a strong aerobic base and don't have a history of injuries, then it might work. I ended up choosing what seems to be right FOR ME after reading up on several different programs and trying different training plans over the course of about 3 years. Sorry there aren't any clear cut choices! Sorry - I quoted myself! Embarrassed

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

finney

Resident pinniped

It doesn't sound like a good idea to me, especially for someone who is just now getting back into running. I agree with Willamona, that too much intensity too fast is how people get hurt. That is EXACTLY what happened to me when I first started running, and for where I am now I should be a lot more advanced if I'd just slowed down when I was new. I did almost all my runs as at least tempo runs. I thought a slow easy run was somehow a failure. I made a lot of gains in speed really fast, but I paid for it by a string of chronic injuries. So I took some time off, and now if I'm having a bad day I allow myself to walk a bit if I need to (though I really try not to). I do most of my runs easy and actually feel GOOD afterwards. I run now for fitness instead of performance. I cross train a bit if I'm feeling bored or burnt out of running. And, none of my old injuries have come back and I'm enjoying running now more than ever. You WILL get hurt again if you jump right back into a rigorous program of XT and speedwork. 1) You are not in good enough shape to do this yet, your muscles and connective tissues are not strong enough and 2) You will just plain overtrain. Cross training is still exercise, so if you haven't been doing much of anything you'll just end up doing too much. I'd get comfy doing slow, easy runs first and then work on cross training or speed.
                  sathomasga

Adding to what appears to be a concensus: the FIRST program doesn't seem like a good fit for you right now. The FIRST workouts are really hard. (Note, for example, that their first long run in the 16-week marathon training plan is 13 miles; intervals and tempo runs are of comparable difficulty. Compare that with most 16-week marathon plans which start the long run at between 6 and 10 miles.) For someone that's been running for a while and has built up a tolerance for the stress and strains of the sport, FIRST seems like a great way to move up to the next level. For a relative newbie, or someone returning to the sport after a lengthy layoff, I'm not so sure. Stephen

What is it with programs? Whether it be Higdon, FIRST, Weightwatchers or whatever... Every runner is different as is their situation. There are litterally hundreds of variables and to pick a program that someone else wrote and try to stick to that program is asking for trouble. If you want to lose weight, then a simple solution is to burn more calories than you take in. If you want to run a marathon, you can't depend on a program to do your running for you. You need to do the training and listen to how your body feels and change as you go. Feel crappy, run slow. Feel good run fast. What you should do is analyze your own situation. What do you want to accomplish and how much do you want to commit to it. Then read about the various programs and make up a program for YOU, tailored to your situation. As soon as you come up with a program be ready to change it, because I guarantee you won't go 2 weeks following a program without needing to adapt it to various circumstances. If you like cross training and it keeps you motivated and improving then do it. If you like to run and hate biking or swimming, then run and forget the cross training. Do what you like to do and what keeps you healthy. I ran one marathon 7 years ago. I started from zero and trained for about 8 monthes with a high run mileage of 45 miles 4 weeks before the marathon. I had never heard of FIRST back then but my training may have been fairly close to it just due to my situation. I had moved to CA with my wife and 2 small kids on a temporary assignment for 1 year. We only had one car, so I biked 10 miles each day to work. After several monthes, I figured hell, I was in pretty decent shape, and living in a warm climate for once where I could train actually enjoy training thru the winter, so how about running a marathon. I took some Higdon workouts and tailored my own training schedule around the fact that I had to bike to work each day. Long runs on the weekends. Some days I would run to work and run home instead of biking. Mile repeats at the track once a week. Some days I would bike to work and run at lunch and bike home. There were not very many easy miles. Long runs would start out easy go medium and finish harder to simulate how it would feel at the end of the marathon. I would run hard because I like to run hard. I would bike hard because I like to bike hard. I ran my first and only maration 3 minutes faster than my goal pace of 2:55. That was the best race of my life and I know that I couldn't have run it any better. Could I have done better if I had only run and run 80 miles a week instead of 30-40? Who knows? Those circumstances will never be the same again, so I'll probably never know. The key was that I knew my body, I listened to the feedback I was getting from my body and I altered my plan as things went. I'm losing track of what my point is....all I know is that my back is killing me and I'm getting cranky from not having worked out for 4 days. I guess my main point is that everyone is different and there is no one optimum plan that you can pluck out of the air. Neither is there only one approach for everyone. Running by itself is great for some but not others. High mileage is great for some but not for others. Low mileage is great for some but not for others. Each person is a case study of one and the results are not going to be the same.
                      Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
                        Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll try continuing to run three times a week and gradually lengthen my week-end run and mix in three to four cross training sessions of 45min to an hour. I'm definitely not going for the marathon this spring but a half should be easily reachable. And depending where I am by then, I can contemplate maybe a full marathon in November. Thanks again. - R
                        finney

Resident pinniped

I'd still say 6-7 days of exercise might be a bit much. I'm not 100% sure of your current level, but unless you're ultra-fit, your body needs some rest.

Hawt and sexy

So, basically you are saying thanks for the advice but I am doing it anyway? Well, good for you...

I'm touching your pants.

Scout7

I'd still say 6-7 days of exercise might be a bit much. I'm not 100% sure of your current level, but unless you're ultra-fit, your body needs some rest.
                              Define "rest". Active recovery is perfectly acceptable for many.
                              UpNorth

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll try continuing to run three times a week and gradually lengthen my week-end run and mix in three to four cross training sessions of 45min to an hour. I'm definitely not going for the marathon this spring but a half should be easily reachable. And depending where I am by then, I can contemplate maybe a full marathon in November. Thanks again. - R
                                FWIW, last Spring, Summer and into Fall I did a slightly modified version of the FIRST 5k program 3 days a week and lifted 3 days a week. There were no easy runs and no easy weight lifting sessions and I did great (and I'm 39 years old). However, I did have a back-off week every 4 weeks (lighter loads and easier running) and I completely rested every 12 weeks. It certainly can be done, just make sure you eat enough and get enough sleep to recover properly and listen to your body so you can rest when you need to.