Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

Hi, I am Christos, from Greece, but currently living in Austria. I discovered the joy of running while living near some high Alpine peaks in Switzerland, which were constantly inviting me to run up them! I loved climbing a nearby peak to catch the morning sun as it crawled over the mountains to the south-east... the town still being in the shadow... I hate road racing and I always injure my self doing it - but biking, swimming, skating, climbing, hiking and weight lifting are tremendous fun and I love the exquisite exhaustion one can achieve while doing them. Any training/activity partners in Styria?
      Hi everyone, I'm Dave and my old coach always told me I should use a running log. I've had a couple of years off and two weeks ago I started again, I decided I should take his advice and record what I'm doing. Starting up is no fun but I'm beginning to get it back together again. Hope everyone is well and good luck to all.

You'll ruin your knees!

Welcome, Christos and Dave! Christos, I would love to come run with you! Unfortunately, my travels take me to Greece, oh, NEVER! Chasing the morning sun/full moon is something I love to do! Dave, keep posting your progress on this forum and stay with it! Getting started is very hard, but you've already taken the hardest step! Again, WELCOME! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Welcome all! Christos, I took a train through Styria once - and Greece is one of my all time favorite places I've visited, just got to see Athens though. Hope to go back again.
            Thanks Lynn, I'm generally a message board lurker so I'm not sure I'll post that much Big grin. Gonna have my first race in the middle of April, hopefully I'll do ok and it'll give me confidence for the future.

You'll ruin your knees!

Dave, I hope you de-lurk to tell us how your race goes! Post a report over on the "racing" forum. If you have any questions or just want to check in on your preparation, please post! Glad to have you here. Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Hey all, I just joined this site and usually lurk but thought i'd actually post something for once. I'm Ashley and i'm 24. I'm currently stationed in Louisiana but originally from Washington state. I've been running forever and competed at state all four years of highschool. I then earned myself a division I scholarship to university of Portland where i became overtrained and injured. I lost the scholarship and pretty much stopped running for awhile i was burned out. Undecided When i joined the air force i started doing random 5k's for fun and have officially decided to get serious about it again. I'd like to do my first 10K this summer (even though it's going to be extremely hot) but i'm really training for a 1/2 marathon taking place this november. I used to run my 5K in the low 19's so another goal of mine is to reach back down to where i was! Hopefully keeping this log (which is something i've never done) will keep me nice and motivated!!! Big grin

You'll ruin your knees!

I'm currently stationed in Louisiana but originally from Washington state.
                  Small world, Ashley, I grew up in Texarkana! Welcome to the compound and good luck in search of the 19ish 5K! Lots of good runners here that are willing to share their experiences AND don't take themselves too seriously, (well, except Jake, you gotta watch out for Jake). Please keep posting about your training and what you are experiencing...we've even got places to talk about non-running stuff, too! Thank you for your service! Lynn B

My name is Michelle, I'm 35 and I live in PA, outside of Philly. I am kind of sort of new to running. I ran in high school, doing cross country, indoor and spring track. I wasn't serious enough about it and lost interest once I graduated (1989). Well about 4 years ago a friend of mine invited me to run in a 5 mile run in Cape May NJ. And for the most part I haven't stopped running since. I was confused about an upcoming race and signed up for a half marathon relay, then was informed that it wasn't 13.1 miles split between 6 team members, everyone runs the 13.1 miles! I wasn't planning on running that long of a race but next weekend I'll be giving it my best shot. I've been training for the Broad Street run so I'm in that mind set at least. I like to run 5k races, my goal is to get down to 21 minutes. I don't do well under race pressure, the stress seems to really slow me down and mess with my breathing. I need to work on that. I love to play soccer! I am on a coed league right now. I play once a week. To me it's my get out there and run full speed kind of fun. Plus, I get to be aggressive which is not normally my nature. My kids think it's cool that someone "my age" is so active...

Michelle

Wasatch Speedgoat

Hi...Steve from Jemez Springs, NM. I live in the Jemez Mountains at 8100' about 20 miles west of Los Alamos with my wife, Deb and several animals. Tucker, the dog and 2 cats, Murphy and Buford... I found this site from Letsrun while searching for a good online log. From what I can see, this is the best one! I am an ultrarunner today and my main focus is the Hardrock 100 mile Endurance Run in SW Colorado. I come from a long road running background in the Boston area, having run Boston 13 times (best of 2:49) and after 20 years of that moved into trails, then ultras. Some of the 100's I've run are Vermont (1 finish, 3 tries)) , Massannutten in Va. (2 finishes, 4 tries), Old Dominion in Va. (1), Bighorn in Wy (1). and Hardrock (1 finish, 5 tries). I am 55 and started running in 1976. Yes

Life is short, play hard!

You'll ruin your knees!

Well hello Michelle and Steve! Welcome to RA, glad you are here. Steve, I am an ultrarunner as well, but not as accomplished (and may never be) as you. I am signed up for Bighorn 100 this year (ran the 50 there in 2004). I've only done one 100 miler (Rocky Raccoon) and have paced in few. There are a few Boston area runners here and quite a few road runners who wanna be ultra runners when they grow up! Anyway, welcome to both of you and please post early and often! Lynn B

Wasatch Speedgoat

Hi Lynn.... Best of luck at Bighorn, you will love it. My 2nd favorite course, 2nd to Hardrock. Here are some pictures of Bighorn I took while running it in 2004... I hope to get back there someday. http://sports.webshots.com/album/194177118hTsEeO If you ever have any questions about the course or ultrarunning in general please throw them my way. Smile Steve

Life is short, play hard!

Hi my name is Mathieu. I'm from Rhode Island and I'm 21 years old. Got started running back in high school, and got really good. I'm currently thinking about coming out of retirement from competitive running and joining my college track team. I really just want to train for a marthon, and hopefully qualify for the Boston Marathon.
                              Hi all, I've been using the site for a couple of months and it's really given me additional motivation to get outside and get fitter (even though the Midwest USA has been quite cold this winter). I quit smoking last July (after 30 years of it) and in mid-January finally decided that if I could do that I could also get fit. I've started slowly for the last 8 weeks, mostly walking and doing a short run every now and then. I've seen my fitness improve slowly but surely and I'm looking forward to warmer weather. I appreciate all the good advice the senior members here have given out, especially for newbie runners like me. I'm not looking to set any records, other than personal ones, and plan on leveling out my mileage soon at just over 20/wk (almost there) and letting my body adjust to all this moving around Smile. I can say it's really helped my stamina playing racquetball as I can play harder for longer, much to the chagrin of my long-time league opponents.
                              jakesdamajorbomb

Hey, I'm Jake, from southern Ohio. I am currently a high school runner. I run the 800, 1600, and 3200, as well as 5k's during the summer and cross country season, a couple 10k's and the occasional weird race thrown in (devil take the hindmost is one of my favorites). I run for the competition and to improve myself for other competition, such as soccer. I'm a state qualifier in cross country, and recently got 6th in the 1500 at indoor state with a time of 4:45.
                                "Man imposes his own limitations, don't set any" - Anthony Bailey "To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift." - Pre "Something inside of me just said 'Hey, wait a minute, I want to beat him,' and I just took off." - Pre "The will to win means nothing if you haven't the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa