Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I just finished my first marathon in Columbus this year with a 3:22.   

Dude, congratulations, you're fast. 

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

keeponrunning

Hi everybody!  Some of you have probably seen me post stuff before, so I thought I'd give a little introduction. 

My Name is Jessica.  I live in South-Western Ontario and attend high school.  I grew up being a sprinter, and never thought of doing anything else until about 2 years ago.  Turns out I am an even better middle-distance runner, and a fair long distance.  I have completed several 5ks, and during track season I run 400m and 800m.  I have made it to CWOSSA several times.  I joined RA about 6 mo ago after finding it recommended in my running magazine.  The reason I run is that I love the adrenaline pumping through my veins after I race, and it helps keep me level.  I tend to stress about stuff a lot, and tend not to sleep enough at night.  I am very involved in music, school, and my church.  They are the only things more important to me than running. 

My goal is to someday do a tri.  I love swimming and biking to crosstrain, so a tri seems to be a great goal for me.  I'd love to do one next summer, in between track and cross-country season at school. 

God Bless.  Jessica

P.S. If anybody knows of a good tri in the SW Ontario region, let me know. 

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

go barefoot

Hey there,

Name is Wille and I'm originally from NY - born in Brooklyn, 1963, raised in Rockland County. I moved to Germany, along with my wife, a German native who I met while I was stationed here with the US Army in the early 80s. We've been here since the end of 1995 and have been in northern Bavaria ever since.

I began running in HS, track and CC, and have been at it since then, albeit with some very long breaks, lasting up to a couple years.

In 2005-06, I trained a bit with a track and field coach from the former DDR. I learned a lot from him, especially strength and cross-training, running drills and other exercises to improve form. He really ironed out a LOT of bugs for me, and then went his own way. Since then, I've been running stronger than ever, and remaining more or less injury free.

2009 was a good year for me, ran ten races ranging from 10k to marathon, and a few super tough hill runs. I trained about 70% according to Pfitzinger and managed to catch a case of over-training. For that reason, I stopped the "season" early and began low HR, MAF training almost three weeks ago. It was a link at Phil Maffetone's website that hooked me up with this site.

I also post at Runner's World.com under the same name. I don't really get much chance for extended online discussions, so I may pop in and out at times.

I'd really enjoy reading reports from runners who have done or are curently working on MAF training. But, I'm open for any and all things running!

When the sun comes up, you'd better be running

Hey there,

Name is Wille and I'm originally from NY - born in Brooklyn, 1963, raised in Rockland County. 

I grew up in Rockland, too. What town?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

go barefoot

I grew up in Rockland, too. What town?

Hey there Big grin

Pearl River, graduated in '81. And you?

When the sun comes up, you'd better be running

I grew up in New City and went to Clarkstown North ('95)!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Hi All!

Thought I'd pop in and say hi. I'm a 34 year old runner in South Florida. I've run for....around 4 years this time. Prior, I ran XC in high school. I'm back to running after recovering from a pulmonary embolism in '08. It's been hard because my lungs don't always want to cooperate, and I'm super slow but I'm happy to be both alive and back to running. 

I'm currently training for a half marathon in February to see if I can get my lungs back. After that I'd like to train for Chicago which will be my 2nd marathon. My first was MCM in '07. Turns out I ran that with blood clots in my legs. (I thought they were shin splints.) 

In other stuff, I'm a web slave during the week, work weekends at a local running store, and go to school part-time. Yeah. I'm busy, but I wouldn't have it any other way. 

I look my best blurry!

I had a spontaneous pnuemothorax (collapsed lung) awhile back.  Woke up to my hubby's alarm clock one morning in severe pain.  SCARY!  Still have a pocket of residual air on top of my diaphragm.  Occaisonally it will be painful and cause some shortness of breath the first couple miles.  Weird.  How did such a young guy as yourself get a pulmonary embolism?
                    I had a spontaneous pnuemothorax (collapsed lung) awhile back.  Woke up to my hubby's alarm clock one morning in severe pain.  SCARY!  Still have a pocket of residual air on top of my diaphragm.  Occaisonally it will be painful and cause some shortness of breath the first couple miles.  Weird.  How did such a young guy as yourself get a pulmonary embolism?

Hi! I'm female. (I just realized my name is gender neutral. I should've said I was female. Ha!) 

The general thought from my doctor is that I was clotting due to my birth control pill. After all was said and done, we believe that I had been suffering from blood clots, leg clots (DVT), and other clotting issues (migraines and chest pain) for at least 2 years prior to diagnoses. In hindsight my running logs tell the complete story. One day, I'm running well. Next day can't breathe. Or I complain about how the pain runs down my leg. Starts in butt, goes to hip, then knee, then shin...The clots were moving around.

I'm running ok now, though sometimes I fight to breathe. 

Collapsed lungs scare the hell outta me. Ugh...Glad you're ok.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hi! I'm female. (I just realized my name is gender neutral. I should've said I was female. Ha!) 

The general thought from my doctor is that I was clotting due to my birth control pill. After all was said and done, we believe that I had been suffering from blood clots, leg clots (DVT), and other clotting issues (migraines and chest pain) for at least 2 years prior to diagnoses. In hindsight my running logs tell the complete story. One day, I'm running well. Next day can't breathe. Or I complain about how the pain runs down my leg. Starts in butt, goes to hip, then knee, then shin...The clots were moving around.

I'm running ok now, though sometimes I fight to breathe. 

Collapsed lungs scare the hell outta me. Ugh...Glad you're ok.

Wow, that is scary!  You ARE young for that to happen.  My ob/gyn wouldn't let me stay on the pill after I turned 40, because pulmonary embolisms are more common at that age.  I'm glad you're OK, too!

Wow, that is scary!  You ARE young for that to happen.  My ob/gyn wouldn't let me stay on the pill after I turned 40, because pulmonary embolisms are more common at that age.  I'm glad you're OK, too!

Yeah. I can NEVER use hormonal birth control again and if/when I decide to get pregnant, I will have to be on blood thinners and closely monitored since the hormones are what make me clot. 

Savoir c'est pouvoir

Hi everyone,

I was looking for a new place to log mileage and in my search Running Ahead was mentioned several times. So far I'm impressed with the log features. I'm just beginning to train for the Flying Pig Marathon in May and was looking for a new site to track my mileage.

A little about me. I'm a 43 y/o Male from, you guessed it, Cincinnati. I'm a former CR Boomers poster (rktekt) and ran into Holly S. in the Dayton Airport on the way to Boston in '08. During our brief conversation I think she mentioned that many of the CR members had moved over to Running Ahead but I had forgotten the name of the site at the time.

I've been running since 2002 and ran my first marathon (Flying Pig) in 2003. Since then I've run three more Pigs, two Bostons and one Air Force Marathon. I got into trail running a few years ago and have run three 50Ks (Stone Steps) and one 50-miler (JFK). I'm a member of the Ohio River Road Runner's Club (ORRRC), Greater Cincinnati Trail Runners and ECHO Running Club. I'll typically race about a dozen times a year and will do anything from 1-mile on up.

I enjoy running races in other parts of the country when traveling if one happens to fit my schedule. The most recent examples last year were: Beachfront Bushwhack 5-mile Cross Country race in Greenwich, CT and the Grand Strand Turkey Trot in Myrtle Beach, SC.

My oldest son ran his first season of CC in middle school this past fall. I've been enjoying his company recently on the trails and look forward to running in a few 5ks with him this year. He surprised my wife and I with a 21:30 time at the aforementioned turkey trot 5k since his previous best was 26-something at the Pig 5k in May. Just goes to show the kind of improvement that a few months of regular training will do for your performance.

I'm hoping to set a PR at the Pig and my focus this time out will be to stay healthy throughout my training cycle. I've taken a running workshop called "Getting Faster Safely" that taught me warm-up techniques and drills as well as stability and strength building exercises. I've been prone to injury while training which is one reason why I introduced trail running...much less impact on the body and quicker recovery.

I've only read the first 5 pages of intros (46 pages is a lot!) but hope to become more acquainted with you through regular reading and posts.

Best Regards, Mike
                            Hello all.  I have used runningahead several times to map courses, but never registered untill now.  I'm 29 and have been running since I was 13.  I've begun doing marathons the past five or six years and really enjoy it, although I have a lot to learn yet.  I don't consider myself to be competitive, although I do alright.  I just enjoy running.  I've learned a lot about it over the years and probably have a lot left to learn.  I have noticed that I am already having to do things differently than I did a few years ago.  I guess what everyone told me is true!
                            RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

If any of you are in the Midwest/Southwest Ohio area, I'd love to have some company on weekend runs this winter.  I'm in the Greater Dayton area, but just moved here from SoCal, so I still need to see new areas.

Cheers,
                              Richard

Hey Richard.  Welcome to the RA group.  I'm in the Mason area which is north of Cincinnati.  How are you enjoying the nice warm runs outside recently?  Bet you miss SoCal weather right now.

I plan to run the Flying PIG in May.  Have you thought about a Spring marathon yet?  I'm open to some sort of run.  If you wanted to run the first 8-9 miles of the course one Saturday or Sunday morning I would be more than happy to run with you and show you the route.  The first 8-9 miles are the hardest part of the run.  I generally run my easy runs at 8 - 8:30 pace. 

Anyway, glad to have another Ohio person on the board. 

2011 Goals:
                                Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                                Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
                              RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

a member of the Ohio River Road Runner's Club (ORRRC), Greater Cincinnati Trail Runners and ECHO Running Club.

I'm hoping to set a PR at the Pig and my focus this time out will be to stay healthy throughout my training cycle. I've taken a running workshop called "Getting Faster Safely" that taught me warm-up techniques and drills as well as stability and strength building exercises. I've been prone to injury while training which is one reason why I introduced trail running...much less impact on the body and quicker recovery.

Best Regards, Mike

Mike:

Welcome to RA.  I'm not sure if I met you or not but I know a few members from the ECHO group (Fenton and Nash).  I've met Steve from Bethel as well while riding up to Xenia last year with those guys.  We had a few more people on that ride up as well but I suck with names.  I have this feeling I've met you before but the world is full of Mike's and Michael's.  Maybe it was up to Lifeline.  Anyway, I think you will love the log features of this site.  If you have a garmin it is really easy. 

FYI - I go by ho0mwp on the Bob Ronckers site. 

2011 Goals:
                                  Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                                  Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)