Race Report: HTFU! HM!!! (Read 751 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

AKA Old Boys' Brewhouse 1/2 Marathon. I started to Pat Benatar's "All Fired Up" and crossed the finish line to Faith No More's "Be Aggressive." And blew my PR outta the water by 10:32. I rocked that damned race! Big grin I had great cheerleaders, too, complete with a HTFU banner around the 11.5 mile mark that kept me pumped for those last grueling miles. There was some question as to the length of the race, but it was so well marked for miles that I am certain it was a full 13.1. Overall this was definitely one of the most well organized and enjoyable races I've ever run...almost the entire thing is on an asphalt bike path that runs around Spring Lake--our old stomping ground. I can't wait to run it again next year and feel so psyched for my HM in Grand Rapids in 5 weeks...that course is a bit less hilly, so I'm hoping to maybe cut another minute or two off of my time for that--but if I don't it won't break my heart, as I had such a great time today. The first 3 miles were my usual "let's get this warm-up crap over, already." At around mile 3 another runner in an orange skirt and white top caught up with me and we stuck together for the next 3 miles. She is a personal trainer and a server at our nearest Logan's, so I recognized her. She's 11 years my junior and has also lost considerable weight in recent years. I lost her on a hill around mile 6 (I do loves me some hills) and didn't see her again until the finish (she was a few minutes behind me and still placed 2nd for her AG--out of 3, I think...damn fast 30-somethings that I had to compete with). The rest of the race I was alone. I passed 4 more runners between 6 miles and the finish, so I was so thankful to have my iPod for company. In usual form I pretty much maintained a consistent pace for the entire race. I really can't wait to someday have a Garmin to see the complete breakdown of pace over the course of a typical race. I sure do seem to be Ms. Consistency. There were a total of 101 racers in the HM, I placed 76 overall (7/9 in my AG--one of the larger AGs in the race), so not bad. I'd really love to someday place in the top half of an event, but this was a pretty competitive field. After the race I enjoyed a nice raspberry ale (our race swag included a pint glass with $2 refills all day for racers), a wet burrito, and lots of water. I'm really glad I didn't wear my 3/4 tights--I was perfectly comfy in my skirt and even a little too warm in sunnier parts of the course. We were pretty sheltered from the wind until the last few hundred yards approaching the finish. I think the temps were ~65 with low humidity and not a cloud in the sky--perfect day. And for my shoe whoring happiness NB was one of the sponsors and I got a gander at the 903...a bit less gaudy than the 902, but still appropriately flashy. Wink This will definitely go down as one of my most memorable races--and without any negatives. It was really a wonderfully blissful run. Updated: now with photos.... At the start: cheerleader: official time: sweet swag: A picture says a thousand words...

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAY TO KICK ASS!!!! Congrats on your new PR!! Can't wait for you to ROCK your next HM!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, I'd love to shoot for sub-2 hours, but I don't see that happening...but maybe under 2:03. I will definitely see a sub-2 in '08. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

I want a HTFU Poster at mile 23 of Steamtown!!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Yeah, I'd love to shoot for sub-2 hours, but I don't see that happening...but maybe under 2:03. I will definitely see a sub-2 in '08. Big grin k
            Ya never know! Could be this year!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ya never know! Could be this year!
              Yeah...and monkeys might fly outta my butt! Wink You have to have someone make you a HTFU poster--that was just what I needed to see at that point. I was all alone and had no one visible ahead of me or behind me to make me push myself. I picked it up after seeing that banner. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Great work on the PR. Sounds like you had a great race. Good on you.
                  Congratulations! And you were sooooo worried. Awesome BRAND NEW PR. Big grin

Michelle

Now that was a bath...

Congrats Kirsten!!!! Thats a fantastic race you ran yourself there. I agree with Pam, with all the improvements you have been seeing recently you might just hit that new sub 2hr goal this year after all!!!! Glad you enjoyed it. Claire xxx
                  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                    va

zz, Great PR and improvement!!! Congrats on a fine race!
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Wow, your new HM PR pace is better than your pace for all of your other PR's, including 5k! Shocked Congrats! Big grin

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, your new HM PR pace is better than your pace for all of your other PR's, including 5k! Shocked Congrats! Big grin
                          Yeah, I know...needless to say I think I might go do the homecoming 5k out at GVSU next weekend. I haven't done a 5k in a year. I'm sure I could do an 8:30 pace without too much trouble for that. And my last couple of races prior to this one were done in hotter weather or with me just not feelin' it. Time for me to HTFU and get some more PRs! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Burninated Peasant

Count me impressed.
                              Wow!!!! You are awesome, Kirsten - what progress you have made. Big congrats on your super PR!!!!! Cool

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                              Thyroid Support Group

huge congrats from me too! thats a fab PR! Big grin nice work.