Anyone run and listen to E-books at the same time? (Read 874 times)

npaden

Our library does Overdrive, but it seems all the books are constantly checked out.  They need to license more of 'em.

That's what I've noticed.  It seems like you can get just about any book you want if you go there physically and check out the audio book on CD, but all the good titles have a long waiting list on the eBook type thing our Library does.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It was the best of (running) times, it was the worst of (running) times.  

I'm with Hall. When running I want to focus on running. While doing dishes, however, it's another matter.

It was the best of (running) times, it was the worst of (running) times.  

Yeah, I can't say I'd try to listen to Homer while running, or anything that requires a huge mental commitment (like learning a foreign language, say).  The Hunger Games is a good book, but it's not exactly a hard read.  I'm also not sure I'd listen to an audio book while running near traffic. Most of my runs are on an empty dirt road, but when I'm running near cars, I take the headphones out.

"Under that scenario, Charles Dickens might slow runners to the worst of times."

LOL The author couldn't resist that one, I guess.

~Kate

Life is short.  Running makes it seem longer.

jeffdonahue

Our library does Overdrive, but it seems all the books are constantly checked out.  They need to license more of 'em.

you can put yourself on the waitlist for the books you want,  then you get an email when they are available.  Plus, I found that even though Overdrive allows for a minimum of 7 day rental, once you download it to your ipod you can keep it forever.  So I grab books even when I dont need them just so i can get them on my ipod for when i do.

I really wish they had a 1 day rental option because i would use that - download to computer, upload to ipod, done - let the book be available for someone else.

northernman

Fight The Future

i like mostly sci/fi fantasy books, with the occasional spy mystery for variety. My daughter really liked the Hunger games series, and I know they were very popular, but I haven't had the nerve to start them yet. The whole idea of reading stories about kids killing kids makes me pretty uncomfortable. 

jeffdonahue

I think what makes it hard is the people who dont realize that you once its on a media player and unless you are going to listen to it on your computer through the overdrive software, you dont need a 21 day rental.  So I think people take the 21 day rental, which really just ties up the download.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I learned while listening to Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John Le Carre that I don't like to have to think too much while running, either.  Good book, but I had to pay a lot more attention to the twists and turns and international intrigue than I wanted to.

Someone mentioned they were about to get The Hobbit from Audible (sorry, don't have time to look to see who).  Enjoy!  The dude they got to narrate does a great job.  I felt exactly as if my British grandfather was reading it to me by the fireside.  While I ran around him at 9:30 minutes/mile.

Northernman, you should probably stay away from Hunger Games, then.  Because there is indeed a lot of kids killing other kids.  I went into it expecting it to be padded somewhat, being that it is teen fiction after all...and sure, it could have been more brutal.  But man, she does not shy away from the, uh, task at hand.  Especially toward the end of the last book.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Someone mentioned they were about to get The Hobbit from Audible (sorry, don't have time to look to see who).  Enjoy!  The dude they got to narrate does a great job.  I felt exactly as if my British grandfather was reading it to me by the fireside.  While I ran around him at 9:30 minutes/mile.

That was me, and now I'm really excited for it!  I want to "read" the book again before I see the new movie, so I can complain about the inconsistencies. =)

Also, loved the imagery of you running laps around your grandfather.

~Kate

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Also, loved the imagery of you running laps around your grandfather.

Lies, terrible lies, I'm sorry!

He wasn't British.

And, it was Gallowalking.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Lies, terrible lies, I'm sorry!

He wasn't British.

And, it was Gallowalking.

I'm heartbroken.  How could you?!

Perhaps someday I'll be famous enough that someone will use my name as a verb.  Hopefully for something flattering.

After reading Jeff's post about library audio book rentals, I think I'll give my library another chance when I'm done with Hunger Games and The Hobbit.

~Kate

JohnRed

I don't think I've seen anyone in the thread recommend Librivox.org yet. If you're into the classics that site has got you covered....tons of public-domain stuff, all free.

I'd really like to listen to audiobooks while I run...I've tried maybe 3 or 4 times now, and every time I end up turning it off -- it seems to annoy me, even on easy runs.  Maybe I need to listen to something different, or slow down a bit more ....?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Perhaps someday I'll be famous enough that someone will use my name as a verb.  Hopefully for something flattering.

I may be doing some baking tonight.  Does that count, assuming Baker is your name?

I may be doing some baking tonight.  Does that count, assuming Baker is your name?

LOL no, my name's Kate.  And I'm not even a real baker; I just like to bake. =)  I also like to eat what I bake, which is why I took up running.

~Kate

Chloey

Run Like a Mother

I use my Sansa Clip to listen to books when I run.  I listen to books almost exclusively.  I have been listening to the Harry Potter series recently as I never found time to read it.  I have really been enjoying it.  My library also has books that you can borrow in MP3 format.  They often are out of what I want but I just get on the wait list.  As soon as I am about 1/3 through my book, I go on and get on the wait list for the next one.  It works great for me and if it comes available before I need it, I just transfer it to my mp3 and it is there when I need it.  My Sansa keeps track of where I left off.  I don't run where there is much traffic so I have no problem listening to it and worrying about being safe.  One of my ear buds died so I have done my last few runs with only one in and it has worked great too.