when to stretch??? (Read 1830 times)

runcdrun

I'm fairly new to running. I've run a few 5k's thats it. I love it and hope to keep improving. My question is, when is the best time to stretch? I have heard to stretch after a mile or two, but I have also heard it's best to stretch after your run when your muscles are really warm. I don't really know how much stretching I should be doing and how beneficial it is. To be honest I really don't stretch that often, but I am afraid I am going to get injuries if I don't start. Please give me all your best advice on this subject. Thanks in advance!!! Keep running!!
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Short answer is only after you've run a few miles and are very warmed up. Don't ever try to stretch cold, IMHO.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Just as Jeff said, after a mile or two of easy running you can take a short break and stretch a bit. Then after you're done your run, you can do some more stretching while your muscles are still warm. Don't stretch cold (ie before you start running). - R
        JakeKnight

Short answer is only after you've run a few miles and are very warmed up. Don't ever try to stretch cold, IMHO.
          What he said. They lied to us in eighth grade gym class. Cold stretching does little or no good and will probably hurt you. Of course, what do I know? The only time I stretch is when I'm having my morning coffee.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Stretching is old school and in my experience does more harm to a runner than good. I used to be an avid stretcher but gave it up after experiencing numerous minor muscle pulls. Since giving it up more than two years ago, I have had zero muscle related injuries and have lost little if any flexibility. Instead of stretching, I now take extra time to warm up and cool down often running as much as two miles at a very easy pace before ramping up to speed. I work with a high school football coach and he shares the same philosophy using warm up exercises and drills for his players instead of active stretching. Old habits and beliefs are slow to die, and stretching is definitely one of the more persistent with most justifying arguments based more on emotion than reason. Tom
            invisible

It sounds like you stretched BEFORE you ran while the muscles were cold. When you say "active stretching", what do you mean? If you don't stretch, how would you know if you've lost any flexibility? People that stretch post run, know the benefits.
              90 percent of the game is not giving up.
              Pammie

my tuppence worth. i used to stretch, post run only, i stopped last year had so many niggles and only since i returned to stretching post run i've become more flexible, I had really tight quads I'm much better now, believe stretching has helped

Oh Mighty Wing

I only stretch when i'm sore and when i'm getting out of bed in the morning! (I figure the dog stretches when he wakes up maybe I should too!! Tongue)
                    It sounds like you stretched BEFORE you ran while the muscles were cold. When you say "active stretching", what do you mean? If you don't stretch, how would you know if you've lost any flexibility? People that stretch post run, know the benefits.
                    No. I've been running long enough to know the supposed "proper" way to stretch. It was always done post run and never to the point of pain. My flexibility hasn't changed. I can still bend over and put both hands flat on the floor just as I could when I stretched. Tom
                    invisible

Tom, Maybe you just have short legs. Smile The question was: "When you say "active stretching", what do you mean?"
                        Tom, Maybe you just have short legs. Smile The question was: "When you say "active stretching", what do you mean?"
                        I'm 6'-2". Wink By "active" I just meant making stretching part of your routine as opposed to just warming up with easy running or exercises. Tom
                        invisible

It makes no difference how tall you are. It's all relative. There are a lot of ways to stretch, my friend and 'active stretching' is defined as the following: "An active stretch is one where you assume a position and then hold it there with no assistance other than using the strength of your agonist muscles. For example, bringing your leg up high and then holding it there without anything (other than your leg muscles themselves) to keep the leg in that extended position. The tension of the agonists in an active stretch helps to relax the muscles being stretched (the antagonists) by reciprocal inhibition. Active stretching increases active flexibility and strengthens the agonistic muscles. Active stretches are usually quite difficult to hold and maintain for more than 10 seconds and rarely need to be held any longer than 15 seconds." Now you know why I asked! Smile

My Hero

runcdrun- There are many runners that don't stretch and never get injuries. There are runners that swear by stretching. There are runners that are not sure one way or another. I get the impression that being out of balance may be a cause for injuries and that specific stretching, along with strength training, can help prevent certain running injuries. The only time I stretch is right before a race and I have no clue why I only do it then. Don't know if this would classify as stretching, but doing these couple things after a run (especially longer runs) seems to offer me immediate results. That is, feeling relaxed and loose. For me, at the end of a (easy pace) run, find that I can barely lift my knees. Starting easy, began skipping. Once this new movement felt easier and my legs loosening up, began to thrust my knees higher and higher. I only do this for about 25 yards or so and start walking. During the walk, somewhat repeat the motion of kicking my knees as high as possible. Both of these little drills really seem to work better for me instead of doing the traditional, static stretching.
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I never stretch. I run a lot. I never really get injured.
                              mark_v_socal

First time poster here! Mark from the South Bay of Los Angeles, CA. Big grin I am so glad I found this thread before posting my own every-board-noob-posts-without-looking "Does anyone stretch?" I am also glad to see that the majority seems to have adopted the not stretching method of stretching. I have noticed that unless I feel something that feels like it desperately needs stretching and I don't stretch, I seem to be much more injury free. Just my $0.02 -Mark