Depression and exercise (Read 1492 times)

Into the wild

I came accross this today and wondered why they couldn't simply prescribe exercise instead of trying to find the chemistry and mechanics of the runner's high and offer that! Surely, with obesity levels soaring it's time to stop looking for short-cuts which offer the 'effects' of exercise without having to lift a finger. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7116891.stm I do realise that this is essentially a study to help with depression not obesity but it worries me all the same.

Shut up and run

There isn't as much money in exercise as there are in drugs.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Into the wild

You are right. Would it be that radical for a general practitioner to write a presciption for a pair of Sauconys, a tech running shirt and some leggings. Patients could be asked to fill in a a log and ,BANG!, life changed for the better... Evil grin

Shut up and run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You are right. Would it be that radical for a general practitioner to write a presciption for a pair of Sauconys, a tech running shirt and some leggings. Patients could be asked to fill in a a log and ,BANG!, life changed for the better... Evil grin
          Unfortunately insurance doesn't pay for running gear...it's a shame. It would be nice if companies could offer gift cards to running stores and discounted health club memberships (I know some do the latter, which is a step in the right direction). And don't underestimate the human propensity for laziness. I think most people would prefer to pop a pill or have surgery to lose weight or treat other obesity/inactivity ails (and insurance will often pay the bulk of the cost for these things). A dear friend of mine was diagnosed type 2 diabetic a year or two ago. She is taking meds and watching her diet, but still not exercising. Her husband is HUGE...if he doesn't develop serious heath problems from his own girth I would be astounded. These people were both star athletes in HS, too. My MIL was telling me recently about a friend of hers who was diagnosed statin drugs...so instead of adjusting his diet and exercise he openly tells people that he can eat overly rich foods and excessive calories BECAUSE he's taking the meds... Confused k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Into the wild

What is astounding is that most people would see your MIL's friend's reaction as 'normal'. I still get people asking me why I run..WTF... Shocked I hope that leading by example and giving the odd nudge where necessary that we can promote a healthier approach to life. Maybe you can point out the success stories on this forum Zooms, notwithstanding you own, to show how much progress possible in terms of weight loss, weight control and health benefits eg. asthma and diabetes control and not forgetting depression.

Shut up and run

There isn't as much money in exercise as there are in drugs.
              Ain't that the truth. I'm in my 3rd year of pharmacy school and most of what we learn is the drugs. We do discuss diet and exercise, but our society is so geared towards just taking pills to fix everything. When we covered Diabetes, I asked our profs how possible it is for someone diagnosed with diabetes to get completely off meds and have normal blood sugar levels if they lost weight and exercised. They said this is possible and have seen it in motivated individuals. This motivates me to help others try to achieve this goal of being healthy without medications whenever possible.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ain't that the truth. I'm in my 3rd year of pharmacy school and most of what we learn is the drugs. We do discuss diet and exercise, but our society is so geared towards just taking pills to fix everything. When we covered Diabetes, I asked our profs how possible it is for someone diagnosed with diabetes to get completely off meds and have normal blood sugar levels if they lost weight and exercised. They said this is possible and have seen it in motivated individuals. This motivates me to help others try to achieve this goal of being healthy without medications.
                Well, it's definitely possible in those with type 2 (not with type 1, though diet is still important). I was a die-hard low-carber until I started running (and I still probably eat a lot fewer carbs than the average person) and there were several people on the message boards I read who were type 2s who were able to eliminate the need for meds by simply losing weight, exercising, and controlling their high-glycemic carb intake. Running hasn't helped me to lose weight ('cause it makes me hella hungry and I don't run well when I'm hungry...so I pretty much maintain my weight), but I am much fitter, my joints feel better, and I have out-of-this-world blood levels and low blood pressure. The proof is in the puddin'. Depression has never been an issue for me, but I know quite a few people who take meds for depression. I can't help but wonder if some of them would be helped with regular exercise...to at least minimize the meds they need. I can't think of a single person I know IRL who takes depression meds and exercises. Inactivity isn't a natural state for our species. It makes me wonder if some of the depression folks deal with is a result of not giving their bodies the exercise they require....

~ Sarah Kay

Along for the Ride

Kirsten, good points. But one of the problems with depression is the missing drive to do anything. Even tasks like showering and dressing in the morning are hard for them. Once people are depressed it might take meds to get them out of the dark hole. Then they can start to exercise and enjoy it.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Scout7

Exercise helps to some extent with depression, with some people. But there's a lot more to it than that, just like there's a lot more to treating depression with pills. Exercise or pharmacological solutions alone don't do much. The two together, coupled with therapy, do make a world of difference, though. Exercise can certain help with things, though. But it can itself become an issue, if a person isn't careful.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Exercise helps to some extent with depression, with some people. But there's a lot more to it than that, just like there's a lot more to treating depression with pills. Exercise or pharmacological solutions alone don't do much. The two together, coupled with therapy, do make a world of difference, though. Exercise can certain help with things, though. But it can itself become an issue, if a person isn't careful.
                      Exactly. One very good friend of mine is bi-polar...I can't imagine that she will ever be able to stop taking meds. I have seen her without her meds...she's helpless...the simplest task is insurmountable. Even with her meds life is not easy for her, but I do think exercise would help a great deal. I know other people who have relatively mild depression (according to them). I sometimes wonder if symptoms at the mild end of the spectrum could be greatly reduced with exercise, perhaps even eliminating the need for the drugs in the long-term. Natural endorphins are good and free from sexual side-effects. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

Hi Kristen, I did some research for a presentation and a paper last semester comparing anti-depressants to exercise. What I found is that it is believed that exercise stimulates nerve regeneration in the hippocampus. It is thought that atrophying (shrinking) of the hippocampus may be a major contributor in mild to moderate depression and stimulating regrowth of nerve cells in this area can counteract depressive symptoms. Anti-depressants act in similar ways. There is still so much we do not know about the brain and other positive aspects of exercise such as all the positive benefits of endorphin release during exercise. But, everything I read points towards exercise being just as effective if not more effective in mild to moderate cases of depression. There are lots of anectdotal stories out there as well about this. For example, I've had period of minor to moderate bouts of depression throughout my life and these have been very minimal since I took up running 5 years ago.

dork.major dork.

My health insurance card gives me a discount at the local running store... but I live in a running town. Big grin Also, there have been times when my depression has been severe enough that it has only been the forceful prodding of a training partner, or looking at a log that I know I need to fill in with miles that has taken me away from hiding deep in my bed. It can knock you out in ways you don't expect. Also, there are more emotional and pyschological barriers to exercise (esp. for those who have been fat for most of their lives) than many of us can truly empathize with... but we can try.

Reaching 1,243 in 2008 -- one day, one week, one mile at a time.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

<also, there are more emotional and pyschological barriers to exercise (esp. for those who have been fat for most of their lives) than many of us can truly empathize with... but we can try. that's very true! such as my 7th grade gym teacher telling me i would be better at gymastics if i lost some weight - looking back at my photos, i really wasn't heavy at that point (also, i could have weighed 50 pounds and i would still have sucked at gymnastics, lol). or when another gym teacher had all the 8th graders run, and posted our times up on a big chart for everyone to see, and i was last on the list out of about 200! no wonder it took me until i was 43 to get up the nerve to try running! i've never suffered from depression as my mom has, but i know that running makes me feel more positive than i did before i started. there="" are="" more="" emotional="" and="" pyschological="" barriers="" to="" exercise="" (esp.="" for="" those="" who="" have="" been="" fat="" for="" most="" of="" their="" lives)="" than="" many="" of="" us="" can="" truly="" empathize="" with...="" but="" we="" can="" try.="" that's="" very="" true!="" such="" as="" my="" 7th="" grade="" gym="" teacher="" telling="" me="" i="" would="" be="" better="" at="" gymastics="" if="" i="" lost="" some="" weight="" -="" looking="" back="" at="" my="" photos,="" i="" really="" wasn't="" heavy="" at="" that="" point="" (also,="" i="" could="" have="" weighed="" 50="" pounds="" and="" i="" would="" still="" have="" sucked="" at="" gymnastics,="" lol).="" or="" when="" another="" gym="" teacher="" had="" all="" the="" 8th="" graders="" run,="" and="" posted="" our="" times="" up="" on="" a="" big="" chart="" for="" everyone="" to="" see,="" and="" i="" was="" last="" on="" the="" list="" out="" of="" about="" 200!="" no="" wonder="" it="" took="" me="" until="" i="" was="" 43="" to="" get="" up="" the="" nerve="" to="" try="" running!="" i've="" never="" suffered="" from="" depression="" as="" my="" mom="" has,="" but="" i="" know="" that="" running="" makes="" me="" feel="" more="" positive="" than="" i="" did="" before="" i="" started.=""></also, there are more emotional and pyschological barriers to exercise (esp. for those who have been fat for most of their lives) than many of us can truly empathize with... but we can try. that's very true! such as my 7th grade gym teacher telling me i would be better at gymastics if i lost some weight - looking back at my photos, i really wasn't heavy at that point (also, i could have weighed 50 pounds and i would still have sucked at gymnastics, lol). or when another gym teacher had all the 8th graders run, and posted our times up on a big chart for everyone to see, and i was last on the list out of about 200! no wonder it took me until i was 43 to get up the nerve to try running! i've never suffered from depression as my mom has, but i know that running makes me feel more positive than i did before i started. >
                            Gig

The trouble with reproducing a runner's high in a pill is that it's as much a cognitive reaction to accomplishments as it is a physiological reaction. (I don't actually know this. It sounds right to me, though.)

Bugs

I came accross this today and wondered why they couldn't simply prescribe exercise instead of trying to find the chemistry and mechanics of the runner's high and offer that! Surely, with obesity levels soaring it's time to stop looking for short-cuts which offer the 'effects' of exercise without having to lift a finger. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7116891.stm I do realise that this is essentially a study to help with depression not obesity but it worries me all the same.
                                It's more complicated than that. You can't exercise all day long. There needs to be something for when exercise, healthy diet, etc.. are not enough.

Bugs