Tell us about your first running injury (Read 808 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Where you a new runner? Experienced? Did you do somethign stupid to make it happen, or was it just one of those things?

Running Dad

ITBS? new runner. Didn't understand the concept of the crown in the road and found out the hard way. Started out with a little pain, rain through it and ended up taking off 3 months. Now when I run in the road it's only for races and definitely down the middle.
      Things to do this year:
      Not get an injury
      Things done this year:
      Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??

The Greatest of All Time

Came down with shin splints after running for about 3 years. Turns out it was my shoes and the last pair of Nikes I ever ran in. I changed shoes and they immediately went away.
        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I was plagued by shin splints all through HS. Wrong shoes (we got a big discount from Eastbay--back when they were actually a "running store"--when the entire track team ordered the same model of shoe), too many miles too soon...I'm probably lucky I never had stress fractures. In my second running life (ie in the past 2 years) I think my first injury was a strained hip flexor. I was bothered by that for a month or so. It finally went away, but it was probably the result of overstriding. Since shortening my stride and increasing my turnover rate I have had FAR fewer nagging issues.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Shin splints within the first few months of starting running. I always got them playing basketball in HS (man was that a long time ago), and still get them from time to time. I've gotten pretty good at knowing how far I can push them before taking some time off, and discovering "The Stick" and good calf stretches havae helped a bunch. Luckily, I read a lot of other people's stories about ITBS from the crown of the road, so I started alternating sides before my mileage got high enough for that to be an issue.
            mikeymike

Stress fracture of the third metatarsal on my left foot. Senior year in h.s. in my 4th (and last for a long time) year of competetive running. Came off the football field with a slight low ankle sprain and not sure if that contributed but something about running laps on an 11 lap to the mile flat indoor oval (mondo over concrete) made it go boom. Lost my whole senior campaign. My only other running injury was achilles tendonitis,--again on the left leg--in 2002, the 3rd year of my 2nd life as a runner. This was the result of dancing all night in dress shoes at a wedding and then going for a hard 12 in a cold rain wearing shorts the next morning. Other than those two I've had no injuries. (Lots of aches and pains of course, though).

Runners run

jeffdonahue

I remember a bad case of shin splints at one point. I think it was my first year running and I had decided to do the Disney marathon the next January. I ran too far too fast and I definitely didnt have the right shoes. During the marathon I developed an ITB issue that took a few months to get rid of too. Changing to shoes that were right for me helped a ton on both fronts.

Cause I CAN

Shin splints I was new, running on a track, was trying to get to where I could do one lap...the shin splints got so bad at one point that I couldnt run for a month...after dealing with this off and on for six months, I went to a running store and got new shoes and haven't had the problem since.
                  Liver Transplant - July 2, 1991
                  http://terri7291.blogspot.com/
                    All my injuries were due to improper training. Runners knee. Started running in Aug '04 and registered for 1st 5K on Halloween of that same year. Built up to 3 miles too soon. I ran the 5K (medicated, stoooooooopid)-it was so hilly! Took a month off after that and was okay. Injury free '05 (and ran my fastest that year??? Very annoyed by that right now.) ITBS in '06 from running in the wrong shoes for 2 years while base building. tore a calf muscle in '07 due to over training. pulled a hamstring in '07 due to running hills too aggressively. '08 is the year of running injury free! This is my slowest year yet...but it has to pay off eventually, right? I am hoping to PR in May in a 1/2 marathon. What about you Mr Inertia? Any injuries to speak of?
                      The first running injury that caused serious time off was ITBS in my junior year of high school. When XC season ended, I decided that I would run indoor track independently (since my school didn't have a team) rather than do nordic skiing to keep my fitness up. Lack of discipline plus the cold, snowy Vermont winter cut my training back a lot, so when Spring rolled around I didn't have a great base. Then two weeks after track started, I went to North Carolina for Spring Break and didn't get as much running done there as I wanted, so I fell a little farther behind. When I got back the season was in full swing, and being an important member of the team, my coach tossed me in four meets the second week. What started as a minor irritation that I thought I could run through turned into a season ending injury. The ITB injury is the only thing that has forced me to take more than three days off, but over the years that I've been running, I've always had one thing or another wrong with me. I had shin splints through 9th and 10th grade that I just ran through, I've had minor tendinitis in both of my achilles tendons that was taken care of by ice and a day or two of rest, and I dealt with non-running related MCL sprain in college.

My first running injury came from getting hit by a car. It only sidelined me for a few days; I got winged in the ankle. It was a combination of both the driver and myself being stupid. (full story here) My first serious injury came from breaking my ankle when I fell down a mountain during a cross country race in high school. It was the same ankle that got hit by a car. In fact, all of my ankle injuries have been that one. It was the week between our conference and state championship meets when we traditionally raced against another small school and 2 of the large schools in the state to get some good competition. It was absolutely pouring, and when I was talking to my coach mid-day he said that if the rain didn't let up he wasn't going to risk running the varsity squad. No sooner said than the faucet got turned off and the sun came out. During the race, I made a move near the top of the hill to bring myself up near the front. I stepped on a wet leaf that (I think) was covering a hole in the trail. In went my ankle, on went the rest of my body, and the next thing I know I'm sliding past the couple of guys that were ahead of me on my face. I decided that was a bad idea and managed to get my shoulder down so that I rolled the rest of the way down, off the trail and down down down until I was back on the trail at the bottom. One of my teammates hurdled me, two guys from the other teams made an effort to step on my with their spiked shoes, and then I managed to roll myself off the trail until somebody could come help me down. I refused to get my ankle x-rayed until after the state meet since I was hoping to run still, but my foot looked like the Elephant Man's so I couldn't run. I went to the doctor a few days later and they confirmed it was broken. I also missed my first Manchester Road Race in CT on Thanksgiving that year because my mother wouldn't let me "run" it on crutches. My first over training injury came in college. High school saw 35 miles per week, the summer between HS and college I got up to around 60 miles per week, and in college I averaged 85 miles per week including off seasons for the first few years, maxing out at a bit over 120 miles per week a few times. Junior year it caught up to me and I had a stress fracture in one leg and tendonitis in the opposite knee.

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

SMART Approach

19 years ago when I started instructing some highly intense exercise classes with running, jump roping, standing aerobics, high box stepping etc. and doing a lot of it including doubles, I developed shin splints BAD! I suffered over two years. Took 1 month off and did a lot of stretching, ant. tib strengthening and had them somewhat under controll but always an ache. Got fit for orthotics and never an issue again. My first running injury ever happened last year from PURE STUPIDITY! I am a low mileage runner and preach to clients mixing in limited intensity with low mileage. I figured my strength and strong base would allow me to push more. Tryed a little more than usual to try to PR in all events for 3rd year in a row. Well, I pushed it a bit too much last spring doing too much quality work on my low miles when getting ready for a half. My upper hamstrings were very sore. I did PR in half though. When my softball season started in May and started those 100% all out sprints around bases etc., I exacerbated the problem and my sore hamstrings became chronic and very painful. I a bad case of upper hamstring tendonitis and bursitis that lasted for 8 months. This is also exacerbated by sitting which I do all the time in my car logging the miles (sales-large territory). In August I couldn't even run a mile without walking. Finally, I received cortisone shots (my last resort) in December that seemed to help a lot. It knocked out the lingering pain. I have been improving ever since. I am back doing even more core training and more one leg squats, heavier lunges etc to build back up. I am back up close to my normal miles but still laying off much of the intensity. I plan to compete in all events this year but will use this year to build back up. A good learning experience. DUMB DUMB DUMB! I am a bit cautious of softball this year though.....

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

My first MAJOR injury was ITBS caused by stupidity and being a slave to schedule. During the middle of a marathon training schedule, I broke my big toe in an unrelated accident. I took off 4 weeks from running, but spent an equivalent amount of training time on an elliptical. When my toe was healed, I thought I could jump right back into my training schedule (which happened to be a 20-miler that weekend.) At mile 6 I started to fell some pain. By mile 10 both knees hurt like hell. Between mile 10 and 17 I limped along at a slow pace almost in tears. At mile 17 I finally did the sensible thing and gave up. FORTUNATELY, the only long-term damage I did that day was ITBS in one knee.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

When my softball season started in May and started those 100% all out sprints around bases etc., I exacerbated the problem and my sore hamstrings became chronic and very painful. I a bad case of upper hamstring tendonitis and bursitis that lasted for 8 months. This is also exacerbated by sitting which I do all the time in my car logging the miles (sales-large territory). In August I couldn't even run a mile without walking. Finally, I received cortisone shots (my last resort) in December that seemed to help a lot. It knocked out the lingering pain. I have been improving ever since. I am back doing even more core training and more one leg squats, heavier lunges etc to build back up. I am back up close to my normal miles but still laying off much of the intensity. I plan to compete in all events this year but will use this year to build back up. A good learning experience. DUMB DUMB DUMB! I am a bit cautious of softball this year though.....
                              I empathize! Though I certainly wouldn't wish this on anyone-it was nice to finally read someone having the same issue that I am! I have been nursing a hamstring injury since Nov (I have read they can take up to a year or more to heal for some!). I have found that nice easy running with small strides aids the healing process, but sitting, sitting kills! It is the worst! People at work hear me belly ache about the pain (and of course tell me I need to quit running), but it is the SITTING I need to quit, OUCH! Running was usually my only relief. I have been pain free for several weeks now, keeping fingers crossed...
                              Tremont

Shin splints that I ran through straight into tibial stress fracture. That was in my first few months of running. I was stupid. I had to take about two months off and it took me another couple of months to slowly work back to where I'd been. I was stupid but it also taught me some valuable lessons: listen to your body and slow down. Other than a brief bout of Achilles tendinitis I haven't had a running injury since.