I hate shoes! (Read 1041 times)

Also what peves me about buying shoes... When I walk into the running store they say "O here comes fatty" (I am 5' 10 and about 218lbs). I don't think they even listen to me when i tell them what I want in a shoe. They just go into the back and come back in what ever they where trained to give the big boys
      Zoom, you mentioned this before but can't find it. Is the NB 903 comparable to the Asics DS Trainer? I get talked out of trying the DS by store clerks that call it a racing shoe and not a high mileage trainer. But I think I'm becoming a more biomechanically efficient runner and don't need as much stability. I ran on the tradmil today with a new pair of Inspire 3's and felt like my heel was hitting before I wanted it to. As you say, I was fighting the shoe. I just wish the NB store near me staffed smart people. MTA: bad typos
      When my heel hits before it should I feel as though I am pounding the ground. Do you have the same feeling?
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Also what peves me about buying shoes... When I walk into the running store they say "O here comes fatty" (I am 5' 10 and about 218lbs). I don't think they even listen to me when i tell them what I want in a shoe. They just go into the back and come back in what ever they where trained to give the big boys
        I understand this. I have wide feet. When I go in a store if they carry a shoe that comes in wides, but have none in stock they bring out the mediums and try to tell me that my forefoot should feel squeezed. No. Maybe they can pull that shit on a complete noob, but I've run enough miles to know what fits and what doesn't. The last time I went to the nearest specialty running store they brought out every stability shoe they had, but had no wides in stock. I ended up taking home a medium pair of Asics 2130s, mostly because I had driven an hour to get there and wanted to walk out with something. 2 days later I returned them, as they just weren't a good fit. Again they had me try on a bunch of shoes, very few wides...they had me go longer to accommodate my foot better. Never go shoe shopping right before stores start getting the "next season" models in. I honestly feel like they were trying to shove anything in stock at me, rather than put me in the right shoe. And even when I explained that I loved my current shoes, but felt that I simply needed more stability, without sacrificing forefoot flexibility...no one even suggested OTC orthotics, which they sold. Had they had me try that option they could have saved us all a lot of time and grief (and money...this was back when gas was >$4/gallon). Honestly, I think I have had much better results doing my own research and experimenting. I have gone into shoe stores and more than one had the salesperson tell me that I should be working for them, since I seem to know more than they do about specific models. Too bad these stores are all an hour or more away--otherwise I would jump at the chance.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

When my heel hits before it should I feel as though I am pounding the ground. Do you have the same feeling?
          I don't know if I get that feeling so much as the sensation that my foot is being locked into an unnatural motion--or lack thereof. I tend to feel a stiff shoe too much in my arches and shins. Pretty much anything more structured than a performance trainer feels this way to me.

~ Sarah Kay

Also I want to make a move that every running store needs to have an asphalt track in them. The shoes always feel much different on the soft floors that are usually present in the store. How about a strip of concrete right down the middle of the store? Then we could tell if the shoes where worth a damn before we get them home.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Also I want to make a move that every running store needs to have an asphalt track in them. The shoes always feel much different on the soft floors that are usually present in the store. How about a strip of concrete right down the middle of the store? Then we could tell if the shoes where worth a damn before we get them home.
              I'm with ya'. I've never been able to tell anything from running on a treadmill, since I NEVER run on a treadmill. I spend the entire little test run just trying not to fall off and I know my form on those things isn't "normal" for me.

~ Sarah Kay

Went running tonight in my Nike XCcelerators. I know I overpronate and I know the Nike shoes are neutral. There was some slight pain due to what felt like weakness in my feet that was fixed by stopping a couple times to stretch. The rest of my body felt really great. In the neutral shoes I felt no pounding on my body. I felt like I was gliding. Supposedly those bricks called stability shoes are supposed to protect me from injury but yet they make me feel like I am being beat up as I run. If my knees are gonna bother me from not wearing supporting enough shoes when would I feel it? Even though I should wear the stability shoes I can't run in them... way too uncomfortable. Aren't the best shoes for me the ones that I will actually run in?
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If my knees are gonna bother me from not wearing supporting enough shoes when would I feel it? Even though I should wear the stability shoes I can't run in them... way too uncomfortable. Aren't the best shoes for me the ones that I will actually run in?
                  Yes. I think the knee thing can take a long while to develop, though, especially if you only need a hair more stability than what you are running in. So if you are in a neutral performance trainer, then going to a mild stability performance trainer may work for you, since you'd still have the flexibility and lightweight shoe. Or if you are wearing a mild stability performance trainer (like the DS Trainer or NB 903) throwing a simple OTC orthotic insole in might do the trick. It worked amazingly well for me and I really noticed no change to the overall fit, flexibility, or comfort of the shoe. I still kick myself for not having tried that option right from the start. I think for some of us the "perfect shoe" is elusive (then if we do find it they change it and mess it all up). Sometimes it's a matter of finding the shoe that is nearest to perfect, then tweaking something to make it so. I know a woman who loved a Nike neutral performance trainer, but had issues with the backs cutting into her achilles. So she cut them down and duct-taped the tops. Looked horrible, but she loved the shoe, otherwise.

~ Sarah Kay

Also I am very seriously considering seeing if I could find a neutral shoe that would work and add orthotics for support as needed. Anybody have any experience doing it this way?
                    I did this with decent results. I ran in ASICS Landreths with Superfeet green arch supports. It's something to try and the Superfeet have an unconditional 60 day return policy so it's a no risk trial. I'm thinking I may have to go back to that route or a lightweight stability trainer like a NB 903 or ASICS DS Trainer.

In stability shoes, absolutely. When I ran in Nike Triaxx and Brooks Adrenalines, my foot was slapping the ground. I could actually hear the difference - a much louder footstrike. I had a noticeably quieter footstrike with the Landreths with Superfeets. I also had pretty good success a few years ago running in the ASICS 1100 series. And they're cheap too, around $80. I'm going to the running store today and bringing my Superfeet with me. I'm going to try: ASICS DS Trainer Mizuno Wave Rider ASICS 1140 NB 903

PWL

Has been

Ask them if you can take them out on the sidewalk for a jog. Our local running store will let you jog up and down the block in them if you want. The salesperson walks outside with you to make sure you don't make your escape, of course, but it is a great help when you're trying on a new style.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm going to the running store today and bringing my Superfeet with me. I'm going to try: ASICS DS Trainer Mizuno Wave Rider ASICS 1140 NB 903
                          What did you end up with?

~ Sarah Kay

Ask them if you can take them out on the sidewalk for a jog. Our local running store will let you jog up and down the block in them if you want. The salesperson walks outside with you to make sure you don't make your escape, of course, but it is a great help when you're trying on a new style.
                            Every specialty running store I've gone to that has gotten my repeat business has allowed me to take the shoes for a jog around the block outside, and I've never been chaperoned. Just one of the reasons that they get my repeat business. Maybe I've just been lucky to always find good stores somewhat near me that I can turn to. (And if you want to know which ones, my favorites are Maine Running Company in Portland, ME and The Run In in Rocky Hill, CT) (Disclaimer: PWL's local running store is one of my favorites.)

Run to Win
                            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Every specialty running store I've gone to that has gotten my repeat business has allowed me to take the shoes for a jog around the block outside, and I've never been chaperoned. Just one of the reasons that they get my repeat business. Maybe I've just been lucky to always find good stores somewhat near me that I can turn to. (And if you want to know which ones, my favorites are Maine Running Company in Portland, ME and The Run In in Rocky Hill, CT)
                              +1 to this. At the store where I work, we don't just allow people to take the shoes outside, we actively encourage it. It's not uncommon for me to have to convince a person that the pavement will feel different than the carpet, and I really have to persuade them to go out there to get a good feel.

Old, Slow, Happy

For what it is worth, there is a store near here that actually has one of these. It looks like a little scale with tons of sensors, and when you stand on it, it analyzes your arch and spits out a recommendation of shoes and/or inserts that the store sells. I think it is called 'the walking company', but two ladies where I work have daughters who run, and both have given rave reviews of its accuracy. Maybe you can look up someplace near you that has something similar. Good luck!
                                Hey, s.crissman, I live just west of you in Fullton County. Where is that store you speak of? I would like to visit it. Thanks Ps Are you running any long races in the area?