Whey Protein (Read 1520 times)

milk+chocolate pudding mix.

That sounds like an interesting combo.

I'm finding all this very interesting.  I have a hard time balancing nutrition with activity as it seems the more I work out, the less inclined I am to eat.  I realize that's backwards, but my appetite doesn't seem to increase.  And now, for at least the next 6 months, it's just me, and cooking for one stinks.  Therefore, I'm finding it even harder to maintain a balanced diet.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

localoutoftowner

The emphasis on whey is not necessarily if you eat right or not.  It is the benefits that it has concerning how fast it digests versus food. If you eat a meal after exercise,  it simply does not digest as fast as a powdered whey. Milk has fat and Casein protein. Fat slows down absorption and Casein is a slower absorbing protein source anyway. As for the Soy vs. Whey argument. Whey is loads more bioavailable (Uptaken by the body)  than soy. However, the only problem with whey is if you get a poor source you can easily be intaking way too much cholesterol. With Soy protein, there is normally 0 cholesterol.

rsbones

Eat food.  Not too much.  Mostly plants.

1. Eat food. Though in our current state of confusion, this is much easier said than done. So try this: Don’t eat anything your great-great-grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food. (Sorry, but at this point Moms are as confused as the rest of us, which is why we have to go back a couple of generations, to a time before the advent of modern food products.) There are a great many foodlike items in the supermarket your ancestors wouldn’t recognize as food (Go-Gurt? Breakfast-cereal bars? Nondairy creamer?); stay away from these.

2. Avoid even those food products that come bearing health claims. They’re apt to be heavily processed, and the claims are often dubious at best. Don’t forget that margarine, one of the first industrial foods to claim that it was more healthful than the traditional food it replaced, turned out to give people heart attacks. When Kellogg’s can boast about its Healthy Heart Strawberry Vanilla cereal bars, health claims have become hopelessly compromised. (The American Heart Association charges food makers for their endorsement.) Don’t take the silence of the yams as a sign that they have nothing valuable to say about health.

Every time I hear this sort of thing, I remind myself that there is little about my great-grandmother's world that I would prefer to today and then ask myself, why should I eat like people did back then?

The other day I read an interesting comment on BoingBoing from a guy called Narddogz:

"I honestly can't believe that in this age of technological process that we are still required to kill, grow and cook our food.  We have our little smart phones and mp3 players that fit in our pockets, but our relationship to food is pretty much where it was thousands of years ago. What is the higher priority here?

We should be able to go to any store and buy our package of iFood, a product that has been perfected in terms of providing all the nutrition we need with nothing that is bad for us.  Just pop a little wafer or two and be good for hours.  Imagine the health benefits in addition to time saved.  I suppose it's boring and seems like "human chow", but I would gladly buy the stuff, and then only occasionally cook and eat recreationally for taste."

I would love that! It's a total failure that we don't have a pre-prepared totally healthy food source that we can distribute to everyone on earth who wants/needs it. Instead we have to tell people, "Eat these 25 vegetables and fruits, these nuts, these beans, blah, blah, blah, blah, prepared in such and such a manner..." What a drag.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Purdey

Self anointed title

It's a total failure that we don't have a pre-prepared totally healthy food source that we can distribute to everyone on earth who wants/needs it. Instead we have to tell people, "Eat these 25 vegetables and fruits, these nuts, these beans, blah, blah, blah, blah, prepared in such and such a manner..." What a drag.

You don't really like food do you? Sheesh. Preparing and eating those wonderful vegetables, and other ingredients, is what makes like great for me. I shudder at your pre-prepared, pre-packaged, no-thought, joyless world.

MTA: Makes "LIFE" great.... not makes "LIKE" great... what a tool.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

You don't really like food do you? Sheesh. Preparing and eating those wonderful vegetables, and other ingredients, is what makes like great for me. I shudder at your pre-prepared, pre-packaged, no-thought, joyless world.

+1

steph  

SMART Approach

Weight loss benefits of whey protein as reported in Journal Of Nutrition. I am an advocate of whey protein use before a work out to enhance post exercise recovery. Also, a snack between meals to perk up metabolism and knock the appetite down a bit without a blood sugar response.

http://www.swansonvitamins.com/health-library/articles/weight-loss/whey-protein-shows-body-weight-benefits.html?SourceCode=INTHIR427

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

A Saucy Wench

It's a total failure that we don't have a pre-prepared totally healthy food source that we can distribute to everyone on earth who wants/needs it.

Oh!  Soylent Green! That would be totally awesome.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Imminent Catastrophe

I liked the Bruce Dern character in "Silent Running"

Milk and yogurt are perishable. Whey isn't. That's a factor if you travel a lot.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Feeling the growl again

Only when they cycle through my wife's pregnancy cravings...that isn't even "food".  It's almost Panera.

My lunch today is a cucumber from my garden and a big helping of grapes from my vineyard.  For dinner, a nice lean venison burger from the back 40 last fall.  But I'd still take whey protein if I was training hard and felt I needed the protein boost.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Weight loss benefits of whey protein as reported in Journal Of Nutrition...www. we sell whey protein . com..."

Tchuck? Really? A link to a report on a vitamin shop web site on a study funded by the Whey Protein Research Council that shows "benefits" that the study itself says 'may suggest' said benefit but also used a "methodology...not sensitive enough to detect the subtle changes in energy intake that take place to [acheive this] result."

I'm not asmart enuff to challenge any of that - was just turned off by the link to a sales pitch.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                      We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

"run" "2" "eat"

besides the occassional tuffet-sitting whey consumption... seriously now, i put a scoop or two of whey protein in the mix when i make waffles, bread, cake, cookies. you can't taste it and it doesn't change the texture but it adds nutritional value. a nursing student ranted at me this summer about how americans over-consume protein and it's bad for your liver or kidneys or something, but a scoop adds like 16g of protein so i really think the birthday cake is better for having the whey in. i mean, 16g in a whole cake is not too much in one slice but it's better than nothing and makes me feel really virtuous about eating cake.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

"run" "2" "eat"

MTA: Makes "LIFE" great.... not makes "LIKE" great... what a tool.

don't underrate the greatness of like.

p.s. but i agree, you are a complete tool.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Purdey

Self anointed title

Genius. Pure genius. Don't tell my wife or she'll start putting it in ice cream.

Purdey

Self anointed title

p.s. but i agree, you are a complete tool.

The irony of your post "tooling" me, and my post lauding your genius is not lost on me.