Whey Protein (Read 1520 times)

Actually, you should not care about proteins but rather amino acids, which are the building blocks of proteins.  There are 22 standard amino acids, most (but not all) of which your body can make from precursors.  I am not sure how many amino acids are in whey protein, but any protein your body ingests will be broken down into them before it is used.

Just checked out my bag of protein:

Essential Amino Acids:

L-Leucine (BCAA) 2.8 g

L-Isoleucine (BCAA) 1.7 g

L-Valine (BCAA) 1.5 g

L-Lysine 2.4 g

L-Threonine 1.7 g

L-Methionine 0.6 g

L-Phenylalanine 0.8 g

L-Tryptophan 0.5 g

It also has 2 other conditionally essential amio acids and 8 other non-essential amino acids totaling 14 g.

Whatever all of that means.

Feeling the growl again

Essential Amino Acids:

L-Leucine (BCAA) 2.8 g

L-Valine (BCAA) 1.5 g

L-Lysine 2.4 g

L-Threonine 1.7 g

L-Methionine 0.6 g

L-Phenylalanine 0.8 g

L-Tryptophan 0.5 g

It also has 2 other conditionally essential amio acids and 8 other non-essential amino acids totaling 14 g.

Don't be sad, 18 out of 22 ain't bad....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

MrH

How DO you weigh protein?

Q: How (or where) do you weigh (or whey) a pie?

A: Somewhere over the rainbow.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

localoutoftowner

Essential Amino Acids:

L-Leucine (BCAA) 2.8 g

L-Valine (BCAA) 1.5 g

L-Lysine 2.4 g

L-Threonine 1.7 g

L-Methionine 0.6 g

L-Phenylalanine 0.8 g

L-Tryptophan 0.5 g

The important thing is that you obtain all 9/11 essential amino acids, which in any complete (as opposed to incomplete) you will. The most common thing we hear about is that rice by itself is an incomplete protein and beans by themselves are an incomplete protein, but when you mix them together they become a complete protein.  A lot of soy proteins are incomplete, whereas most whey proteins are complete. The quantity of the protein is not nearly as important as the source. Soy protein is obviously not a good choice unless you are a menopausal female, are vegetarian, have a milk allergy or are lactose intolerant. There are other types of vegetable proteins out there (Hemp protein, Pea protein), but are even less bioavailable than soy.

Like I've said before, whey protein is a better choice when supplementing. However, getting a cheap protein can put you worse off. Some brands carry up to 100mg of cholesterol per 20g of protein. Which if you supplement 40g or more a day, you're looking at 200mg+ of cholesterol a day just from 40g of protein. Crazy. So if you're looking at a product of whey, always check out the ingredient list. If you look at the ingredients and see the words "Whey protein concentrate" by itself with no other mention of whey, do not buy this product. The types of whey that you typically want to look for and will normally see are "Whey protein isolate" Most companies mix these two together to save money, but still manufacture a decent product.Whey protein isolate is a different form of whey that when it is by itself has 0-10mg of cholesterol per 20g of protein, so it is a much better option. If you are wiling to spend a little extra money, whey protein isolate is sold without the whey concentrate.

A Saucy Wench

Okay, I have one more question about whey protein.  There are something like 100,000 kinds of proteins in the human body.  Whey probably contains a dozen or so.  Doesn't it make a lot more sense to keep your diet rich and varied than to rely on such a limited source?

Why is the assumption made that if you include whey protein in your diet you are relying on it as a significant source? 

What I ate yesterday:

onions

garlic

spinach

zucchini

celery

salsa with its multiple ingredients

butter

chicken sausage with red peppers and spinach

coffee

almond milk

lettuce (7 varieties)

cucumber

red pepper

carrot (2 varieties)

snap peas

blue cheese

olive oil

AC vinegar

chicken

blueberries

salmon

rice

asparagus

whatever junk the restaurant cooked the salmon, rice and asparagus in

wine

whey protein powder

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

"run" "2" "eat"

that is a lot of food.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Why is the assumption made that if you include whey protein in your diet you are relying on it as a significant source? 

What I ate yesterday:

onions

garlic

spinach

zucchini

celery

butter

coffee

almond milk

lettuce (7 varieties)

cucumber

red pepper

carrot (2 varieties)

snap peas

blue cheese

olive oil

AC vinegar

chicken

blueberries

salmon

rice

asparagus

wine

whey protein powder

+1

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Purdey

Self anointed title

Q: How (or where) do you weigh (or whey) a pie?

A: Somewhere over the rainbow.

For the next pop quiz, do you think you could give me slightly more time before you provide the answer? 'Prec

DoppleBock

I could care less what it taste likes - Hell if the food tastes too good I would eat the whole 4# can at once 

Palitability is not what was being discussed.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

What I ate yesterday:

onions

garlic

spinach

zucchini

celery

butter

coffee

almond milk

lettuce (7 varieties)

cucumber

red pepper

carrot (2 varieties)

snap peas

blue cheese

olive oil

AC vinegar

chicken

blueberries

salmon

rice

asparagus

wine

whey protein powder

Nice diet, Ennay!  Why, with all that, did you decide that you needed to supplement it with whey protein?

localoutoftowner

Nice diet, Ennay!  Why, with all that, did you decide that you needed to supplement it with whey protein?

Have you read the benefits of taking whey protein post exercise?

The shirtless wonder

What I ate yesterday:

butter

coffee

almond milk

blue cheese

AC vinegar

That junk is so processed.  Personally, I eat raw dirt before those pesky plants get a chance to process all of the nutrients out of it.  I don't even cook my dirt.  Sometimes I splurge and have some rich soil but only if I'm not feeling fat because soil has a lot of calories.  

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Have you read the benefits of taking whey protein post exercise?

Please show me an adequately powered, well-controlled randomized trial that compares the benefits of taking whey protein post exercise with taking other proteins post exercise, preferably non-processed or extracted proteins.  A great one would be a study comparing whey protein with yogurt.  Or eggs.  Or a juicy steak.

And this: Ennay did not actually exercise yesterday, so her whey protein was not really post-exercise, was it?

#artbydmcbride

That junk is so processed.  Personally, I eat raw dirt before those pesky plants get a chance to process all of the nutrients out of it.  I don't even cook my dirt.  Sometimes I splurge and have some rich soil but only if I'm not feeling fat because soil has a lot of calories.  

No whey!!  Shocked

Runners run

"run" "2" "eat"

tangentially, trent -- there's an availability and ease of use factor. is a test like you describe going to measure that? i mean, sure in ideal conditions XYZ occurs, but in the real world, your body cannot process anything unless you can put it in there. so, if you don't have access to a steak or you don't have a fridger to keep your yoghurts in, then maybe whey protein is the best option. right?

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams