Dressing Like A Runner (Read 1529 times)

~Gordo~

So, after an 8 mile race on Saturday (which I placed 3rd in my age group, I might add), I pulled off the under armor shirt and running tights. Put on a long sleeve t-shirt from another race, slipped on some wind-breaker pants and hurried to my daughters soccer game. When I get there, one of the other parents, says "I didn't know you were a runner, you usually don't dress like a runner." Hmmm...I didn't know that runners dressed different when not running?!? Confused Just found it a bit odd. ~Gordo
    !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~
    JakeKnight

Hmmm...I didn't know that runners dressed different when not running?!? Confused
      Seriously? I don't have the heart to explain it. Maybe somebody else will. Let's just say runners are pretty easy to spot. Like Star Trek fans. But not as cool. And with better watches.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

t-shirt from another race
        Methinks this is what gave you away. Big grin

Hoodoo Guru

Not to mention the smell. Dead

The tangents are moot.

jdmcgregor

All business

Shoes, shoes, shoes.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Seriously? Let's just say runners are pretty easy to spot. Like Star Trek fans. But not as cool. And with better watches.
              While I don't know what this means, and certianly can't explain why JK thinks we're easy to spot, I found the quote really funny.

The Greatest of All Time

Jeans, running shoes, race t-shirt Standard runner uniform.
                all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                  I think it's the 32 inch waist that normally gives me away.

Runners run

The Greatest of All Time

I think it's the 32 inch waist that normally gives me away.
                    Fatboy Wink

Scout7

I only ever wear running shoes when, you know, running. Otherwise, I wear boots or casual shoes. I only wear sweats when, you know, running. Or before/after a race. Otherwise, it's jeans or slacks. I only wear a watch when running. I'm weird.

The Greatest of All Time

I only ever wear running shoes when, you know, running. Otherwise, I wear boots or casual shoes. I only wear sweats when, you know, running. Or before/after a race. Otherwise, it's jeans or slacks. I only wear a watch when running. I'm weird.
                        I am weird too. I don't wear running shoes unless running. I never wear race t-shirts. But for some reason I can't ditch the damn watch. And I wouldn't be caught dead wearing technical gear while not running or pre/post race.

uncontrollable

A good percentage of people stereotype in so many ways. When someone who doesn't look like jack spratt & people comment "wow, I can't believe he/she is a 'runner' " it bugs me. People big, tall, small, short etc...may be active & healthy and a 'skinny' person could be non-active and internally heading for disaster (but lucky w/ metabolism or genetics). This society can be so focused on external/appearance which is often misleading. That's why we should all try not to waste energy on what people think - do positive things for ourselves, feel good about it, and not expect people to "get it" if they do: well it's a bonus!

peace

Scout7

And I wouldn't be caught dead wearing technical gear while not running or pre/post race.
                            Exactly. I am always amused by the people at the mall that are trying to look like they just got done at the gym.

The Greatest of All Time

Exactly. I am always amused by the people at the mall that are trying to look like they just got done at the gym.
                              It's funny you mention that. I was at a mall this last Saturday and there was some dude strutting around in a long sleeve tight UA stretchy shirt and jeans. I had to laugh. Kind of like in Beverly Hills Cop when Eddie Murhpy laughed at the two guys on the sidewalk wearing the Michael Jackson "Thriller" jacket. It was at that level.

~Gordo~

It's funny you mention that. I was at a mall this last Saturday and there was some dude strutting around in a long sleeve tight UA stretchy shirt and jeans. I had to laugh. Kind of like in Beverly Hills Cop when Eddie Murhpy laughed at the two guys on the sidewalk wearing the Michael Jackson "Thriller" jacket. It was at that level.
                                Maybe I'll try that at her next soccer game -- wearing the Thriller jacket that is...
                                !If you don't...you won't! ~Remember the light at the end of tunnel maybe you~ ~If you choose not to decided, you still have made a choice~