Paul Ryan Says He’s Run Sub-3:00 Marathon (Read 1924 times)

wikipedia's commentary on the supposed quote from Tytler...

There is no reliable record of Alexander Tytler's having made the statement.[9] In fact, this passage actually comprises two quotations, which didn't begin to appear together until the 1970s. The first portion (italicized above) first appeared on December 9, 1951, [10] as part of what appears to be an op-ed piece in The Daily Oklahoman under the byline Elmer T. Peterson.[11] The original version from Peterson's op-ed is as follows:

Two centuries ago, a somewhat obscure Scotsman named Tytler made this profound observation: "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy."

The list beginning "From bondage to spiritual faith" is commonly known as the "Tytler Cycle" or the "Fatal Sequence". Its first known appearance is in a 1943 speech "Industrial Management in a Republic"[12] by H. W. Prentis, president of the Armstrong Cork Company and former president of the National Association of Manufacturers, and appears to be original to Prentis.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So wait.

A made up quote about the impending failure of democracy in a thread about a made up race time for a potential leader of said democracy?

Spooky.

to be fair, the first half of the quote could be true.  or perhaps only slightly modified to fit the needs of the writter of the 1951 op-ed piece.  perhaps I should turn up the investigation to a fact checker above wiki. 

MTA another reference. I was shocked to read Strom Thurmond may have aided in adding to the quote mashing and re-invention of words (to add 200 years) in order to aid his political agenda.  Shocked!

http://www.lorencollins.net/tytler.html

The earliest false attribution I have found for this cycle is from Senator Strom Thurmond, in a speech to the Aberdeen Chamber of Commerce in Aberdeen, South Dakota, on January 9 1965, wherein he attributed the quote to "the studies of R. G. LeTourneau." In addition, Thurmond also makes the earliest use of the "average age" sentence

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

To be fair, the first half of Ryan's quote is also likely correct; he DID run a marathon.
            To be fair, the first half of Ryan's quote is also likely correct; he DID run a marathon.

Actually, he finished a marathon. 

AnneCA

He probably ran a lot of it -- he ran track or cross-country in HS, right?  Guy knew how to run, and I don't find it surprising that he would *start* at something close to a sub-3 pace.  In fact, I find that a lot more plausible than the idea that he, as a novice marathoner, clicked along at 9:10 for the whole race.  But he blew up and slogged to the finish.  Which makes it even less plausible that he doesn't remember remember his time to within the nearest hour. 

Alexander Tytler (1747-1813) was a Scottish-born English lawyer and historian. Reportedly, Tytler was critical of democracies, pointing to the history of democracies such as Athens and its flaws, cycles, and ultimate failures. Although the authenticity of his following quote is often disputed, the words have eerie relevance today:

The quote and original author doesn't matter as much as the relevance today, and Kiyosaki acknowledges that.

(Creditor to Debtor)

(exporter to importer)

read through it, beyond the "who's Alexander Tytler" portion.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

L Train

Now we've got fact checkers checking the fact checkers.  Someone should check into that. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Now we've got fact checkers checking the fact checkers.  Someone should check into that. 

We will not let the fact checkers dictate our internet posting.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

We will not let facts interfere with our beliefs.

L Train

These are not the droids you're looking for. 

Move along.

Actually, he finished a marathon. 

Elitist!

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

L Train

Nah, he's just a prick.

Why is it sideways?

The Rise and Fall of America

<cite>

Alexander Tytler (1747-1813) was a Scottish-born English lawyer and historian. Reportedly, Tytler was critical of democracies, pointing to the history of democracies such as Athens and its flaws, cycles, and ultimate failures. Although the authenticity of his following quote is often disputed, the words have eerie relevance today:

A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government.

A democracy will continue to exist up until the time voters discover they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by dictatorship.

The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

• From bondage to spiritual faith;

• From spiritual faith to great courage;

• From courage to liberty;

• From liberty to abundance;

• From abundance to complacency;

• From complacency to apathy;

• From apathy to dependence;

• From dependence back to bondage.

Tytler's Cycle and the U.S.

In looking at American history, we can see Tytler's sequence in action. In 1620, the Pilgrims sailed to America to escape the religious bondage imposed by the Church of England. Their spiritual faith carried them to the new world.

Because of their deep faith, the Pilgrims left England in spite of the high percentage of deaths incurred by earlier American settlements. For example, when Jamestown, Virginia, was founded in 1607, 70 of the 108 settlers died in the first year. The following winter only 60 of 500 new settlers lived. Between 1619 and 1622, the Virginia Company sent 3,600 more settlers to the colony, and over those three years 3,000 would die.

In 1776, the Declaration of Independence was signed. From spiritual faith the new Americans were garnering great courage. By crafting the Declaration of Independence, the colonists knew they were essentially declaring war on the most powerful country in the world -- England.

With the onset of the Revolutionary War, the colonists were moving from courage to liberty, following Tytler's sequence. By demanding their independence and being willing to fight for it, a new democracy was born. This new democracy grew rapidly for nearly 200 years.

Then, in 1933, the U.S. was thrown into the Great Depression and elected Franklin Delano Roosevelt as president. Facing total economic collapse, Roosevelt took the U.S. dollar off the gold standard. At the same time, Germany, also in financial crisis, elected Adolf Hitler as its leader. World War II soon followed.

In 1944, with WWII coming to an end, the Bretton Woods Agreement was signed by the world powers and the U.S. dollar, once again backed by gold, became the reserve currency of the world.

After the war, America passed England, France, and Germany to become the new world power. Having entered the war late, the U.S. emerged as the creditor nation to the world. Our factories weren't bombed and the world owed us money. The U.S. grew rich financing the rebuilding of England, France, Germany, Italy, and Japan. The American democracy was transitioning from liberty to abundance -- maybe too much abundance.

In 1971 President Nixon violated the Bretton Woods Agreement by taking the U.S. dollar off the gold standard because America was spending more than it was producing and the U.S. gold reserves were being depleted.

In 1972 Nixon visited China to open the door for trade. What followed was the biggest economic boom in history -- a boom fueled by the U.S. borrowing money through the sale of bonds to China, one of the world's poorest countries at that time. The sale of these bonds financed a growing U.S. trade deficit. China produced low-cost goods, and we paid for them with money borrowed from the Chinese workers.

American factory production, which had fueled the American boom after WWII, was "shipped" overseas along with high-paying American jobs. America was shifting from abundance to complacency. Rather than produce, we borrowed and printed money to maintain our standard of living.

In 1976 America celebrated its 200th anniversary as a democracy. Rather than produce, we kept borrowing to finance social-welfare programs. Over the next three decades or so, America slid from complacency to apathy.

In 2007 the subprime crisis reared its ugly head. And by 2010, unemployment increased to double-digits, even as the rich got richer. Once-affluent people walked away from homes they could no longer afford. The U.S. moved from apathy to dependence.

Today we're dependent upon China to finance our debt as well as fill our stores with cheap products. At the same time, millions of Americans are becoming dependent upon the government to take care of them. If Tytler is correct, the American democracy is presently moving from dependence back to bondage.

Filling the Void

History reminds us that dictators and despots arise during times of severe economic crisis. Some of the more infamous despots are Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Napoleon. I find it interesting that the U.S. is now dependent upon Chairman Mao's creation, the People's Republic of China, for the things that we buy and the money that we borrow.

To me, this is spooky, foreboding, and ominous. While the Chinese people, as a rule, are good people, my business dealings with Communist Chinese officials have left me disturbed and concerned about the rise of the Chinese Empire. As you know, China doesn't plan on becoming a democracy. With money, factories, a billion people to feed, and a massive military, could they put the free world into bondage?

Although I don't like the way the Chinese do business, I continue to do business in China. I have to. They're the next world power. I cautiously believe that trade, business, and understanding offer better options for world peace and prosperity than isolationism.
                              Now the Western world must seek to grow stronger financially as China continues to gain power. To do this, our schools need to offer more sophisticated financial education to children of all ages.

This is not the time to be complacent or apathetic. This is the time to think globally. Putting up trade barriers would be disastrous. Instead, it's time our schools train students to be entrepreneurs who export to the world rather than employees looking for jobs that are being exported to low-wage countries.

Please be clear. I don't fear the Chinese. I fear our own growing weakness. Only a weak people can be oppressed. Today, America has too many people looking to the government for financial salvation.

In 1620 the Pilgrims fled the spiritual oppression of the Church of England. Today Americans may need to flee the financial oppression of our own government as our democracy dies. If we follow Tytler's cycle for democracy, our financial dependence will lead us to financial bondage.

This is a pretty damn narrow angle on American history. I know you are a financial planner, but come on dude, there is more to history than finance! (Not to mention this is quite the cherry-picked financial history.)

Where is the civil rights movement in this history? Was that decline and decadence or was it courage and spiritual strength?

What about the invention of rock and roll? Decline and decadence or courage and strength?

Some people happen to believe that the sorts of social programs constructed in the New Deal were also courageous manifestations of the democratic mission -- a noble and spiritual attempt to provide for the poor and the elderly.

Why so scared of China? 

Debt always has two partners. Folks are very happy to lend the US money. Why? Because we have the most stable economy in the world. Unstable economies (like China's) need to borrow from that instability to grow and develop. Painting them as potential oppressors has no relation to the reality that we live in.

I don't want to make light of our economic problems, but to chalk their origin up to something like historical destiny is to take them away from the range of practical solutions. We've got problems now, and the future will be different from the past, but this doomsday "death of democracy" stuff is really trite and unhelpful.

Nah, he's just a prick.

Yep

MTA: Nielsen Co. said about 26.2 million people watched the opening night of the Democratic National Convention on Tuesday.