Tips on getting faster (Read 262 times)

Kcoates1223

I'm currently training for the Chicago marathon, but I'm going to try and spend some of the winter trying to increase overall speed. I'm currently averaging ~55 mpw, but not doing much as far as LT or V02max work goes. My question is what's TRULY the best way to get faster overall? Increase mileage, do more interval work, track workouts, just run faster?

Here's some results I've currently had so far in 2013

5k - 19:19

10k - 40:07

Half - 1:31:00

I have a goal of around 3:10 for the marathon.  I'm not talking about trying to get down to a 30 minute 10k or anything, but does anyone have tips that may get me to the sub 18 5k or 37 minute 10k level.

I'm a 25 year old male for reference.

Post High School PRs

5k - 18:35 10k - 40:07 Half Marathon - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:14:23

2015 Goals

5k - 18:32(HS PR) 10k - Sub 39 Half Marathon - Sub 1:30

Steps to Running Faster Now:

1. Take a deep breath.

2. Increase mpw.

3. Weekly speed and tempo workouts.

4. Then wait some more.

Bonus things that would make you faster... but nobody does.. Include drills, weights and plyometric workouts.

And we run because we like it
      Through the broad bright land

DanMoriarity

The biggest key to getting faster is training consistently for long periods of time. Train at a level that you can maintain week after week without getting injured or sick of it and include some variety in the paces you run and the types of workouts you do.

For the marathon, I'd recommend one tempo run per week with an interval session maybe once every two weeks. The rest should be easy  to moderate paced running at whatever pace feels comfortable on the day. As you get closer to the marathon you'll want to include some longer runs, but don't go crazy with them. Too many long runs or especially running too fast on your long runs can really take a lot out of you and potentially compromise the rest of your training week.

During the race itself, it's very important to run relaxed in the early miles and stick to your goal pace, even though it should feel pretty easy in the early going. You should aim to still be feeling good up to about at 30-32km (18-20 miles). If you're struggling before then, the last part of the race will be very tough. The last 6 miles, just dig down and keep plugging away to the finish.

Based on your times at the shorter distances, you're certainly capable of 3:10 if everything goes well. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Feeling the growl again

Overall?  Run more.  That is the only way to get from one level to the next.  That done, layer in a healthy dose of tempo work then add intervals 6-8 weeks prior to your goal races.

I'm currently training for the Chicago marathon, but I'm going to try and spend some of the winter trying to increase overall speed. I'm currently averaging ~55 mpw, but not doing much as far as LT or V02max work goes. My question is what's TRULY the best way to get faster overall? Increase mileage, do more interval work, track workouts, just run faster?

Here's some results I've currently had so far in 2013

5k - 19:19

10k - 40:07

Half - 1:31:00

I have a goal of around 3:10 for the marathon.  I'm not talking about trying to get down to a 30 minute 10k or anything, but does anyone have tips that may get me to the sub 18 5k or 37 minute 10k level.

I'm a 25 year old male for reference.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Seems like you are asking about two things.

1)how to run faster

2)how to get to 3:10.

I'll take the second since it is a shorter reply and others have arleady commented on #1. Smile   - As for running 3:10, it appears to me that you already have the speed to do 3:10 - I say this because I have run sub 3:10 a few times and my 10K is pretty similar.    To get to 3:10 the only thing I would try and do is up your weekly mileage a little bit so that in the peek of training you at least have some weeks in the upper 60 to low 70mpw.    This, combined with quite a few semi-long MP runs (7:15/mile for 3:10) of 9-11 miles done the day before your long runs.   This is to get you used to running at MP pace, and then conditions you to running on tired legs for your long runs.

I believe the Higdon Advanced program incorporates this into the schedule.   The only thing I did when I followed Higdon advanced was to tack on about 1-2 miles on to most of the runs (and an extra repeat on the hills/intervals) etc.   since I felt as though the mileage is a little light with his programs.  Doing this gets you into that 60-70mpw range that I mentioned above.

Good luck!

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

As someone who is in your 5K zipcode and a 3:08 under my belt, I suggest this:

1. Don't get injured.
              2. unhide your log for more specific advice
              3. Don't get injured!

The best way to get faster is to not have to take 6month off because you ignored a niggle that changed your form and resulted in some collateral injury.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

ultramarathon/triathlete

Like everyone said, run more, and add speed work.  I noticed a big difference in speed when I started adding weekly (or 2x weekly) routine speed work sessions with a group.

Also, lose weight (if you can healthily, or want to).

But for real speed increases, I'm a firm believer that what you do this season makes you faster NEXT season, not this season.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                Gatorade Endurance Team

Kcoates1223

I am working on getting my training log updated. I'm looking more for the best way to increase overall speed long term, not immediate results. I've been doing MP workouts, most I've done is 9 miles. As for weight loss, I weigh 135lbs right now, so I'm not certain how much wiggle room I have in that department.

Post High School PRs

5k - 18:35 10k - 40:07 Half Marathon - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:14:23

2015 Goals

5k - 18:32(HS PR) 10k - Sub 39 Half Marathon - Sub 1:30

Why is it sideways?

The general answer is the same for everyone: run more, and run it faster. Train harder!

The difficulty is in figuring out how to add intensity and volume in a way that is sustainable and progressive and that leads to the adaptations that you want. So, this means the real answer to your question is that they best way to get faster is to learn yourself as a runner.

What does your body respond to?

What do you enjoy doing?

What do you have time to do?

How well do you recover?

What are your strengths as a runner?

What are your weaknesses?

To me, these are the questions that keep me interested in training, and the answers to them have changed through the years as I have aged, work and family life have changed, and my body has changed due to the effects of training.

So, I'd encourage you to embrace these sorts of questions and design training that puts these questions to the test -- and provides some answers.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Going faster is easy, by decreasing the amount of energy you waste pushing your body in every direction but forward. Most runners think a marathon runner travels 26.2 miles during a race. In reality, their bodies travel over 32 miles for the elite and close to 39 miles for the last ones to cross the finish line.

I call it the map to reality ratio of any racing distance. How close you can get to that mythical 26.2 miles for your race is the science behind being able to run faster.

Decreasing that energy waste is a technique issue, not a training one.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong